Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows Vista: A pre-beta 2 status report...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows Vista: A pre-beta 2 status report...

Old 19-05-2006, 11:00   #1
jamesclarke555
Inactive

jamesclarke555 has reached the bronze age
jamesclarke555 has reached the bronze agejamesclarke555 has reached the bronze agejamesclarke555 has reached the bronze agejamesclarke555 has reached the bronze age
Windows Vista: A pre-beta 2 status report...

http://www.wincustomize.com/articles...aid=117896&c=1

Quote:
Let me start this article by saying that I think Windows Vista is the most important version of Microsoft Windows since 1995. If Windows 95 had been a disaster for Microsoft, we might all be running some flavor of IBM's OS/2 today. Most people take for granted that if you run a PC, you run Microsoft Windows. But as Windows XP nears its 5th birthday, such assumptions start to be called into question.
Quote:
Sometime in 2003 someone with power at Microsoft got fed up with Microsoft getting tagged as making "mediocre" operating systems. They got sick of Mac zealots and Linux advocates chanting about the ancient architecture and outdated design of Windows. And they decided that the next version of Windows would truly be state of the art.
jamesclarke555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2006, 11:33   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Windows Vista: A pre-beta 2 status report...

I had a very strange problem with the newest Vista build.It couldnt reboot my pc and when it tried to run for the first time the monitor light would flash as if there was no signal getting to the screen then just lock up.Also I cant get an ati driver to take at all on an older build
So my pre beta 2 report is sassafraggadagnamit
Old 19-05-2006, 12:01   #3
jamesclarke555
Inactive

jamesclarke555 has reached the bronze agejamesclarke555 has reached the bronze agejamesclarke555 has reached the bronze agejamesclarke555 has reached the bronze age

That build 5381.1 zingle?

I'm having problems too and have had since I bought the A8R32-MVP Deluxe motherboard, where it forces 4-bit colour and 640x480 screen resolution, yuk! A PCI-E device is found within ATI Tool other than my graphics card and I think it's something thats embedded into the northbridge to enable Crossfire Dual x16. There doesn't seem to be anything in the BIOS that can aleviate this. So I'm forced to use Vista on my laptop without DirectX 9 compliant graphics.

I've been messing with the latest build for a couple of days and it seems very stable and responsive, this is on a Mobile Sempron 3000+ with 1GB of RAM.

The annoying User Account Control can easily be disabled via msconfig, so thats not an issue. Windows Media Player 11 is a dream and the skippy audio problems that plagued previous builds seems to have been fixed.

I do hope they finally remove the last few remnants of the Windows 3.x legacy icons, such as 'Offline Web Pages' and 'Downloaded Program Files' etc, found within the Windows folder. I'm very impressed with the whole OS though so far and things can only improve with Beta 2, RC0 and RC1.
Old 19-05-2006, 12:07   #4
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

What I want to know is how do you remove the beta once you've had a look?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 12:22   #5
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesclarke555
That build 5381.1 zingle?
how new is that one? I think the one I was messing with was aprils
Old 19-05-2006, 12:43   #6
jamesclarke555
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
how new is that one? I think the one I was messing with was aprils
Couple of weeks ago I think m8, definately released in May though.

I think the build you had was probably 5365.
Old 19-05-2006, 13:01   #7
zing_deleted

Yeah me thinks your right ill give the new one a go this afternoon
Old 19-05-2006, 13:11   #8
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...r/default.mspx

runs a tool to tell you how poo your pc is and that vista won't run.... or not as the case may be...
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 13:36   #9
jamesclarke555
Inactive

There's a guide for the latest build here:
http://www.chris123nt.com/guides/5381/

Gotta love the new UI:
Old 19-05-2006, 13:59   #10
zing_deleted

ok gonna be installing now see you in 2 hours (bloody slow install aint it lol )
Old 19-05-2006, 14:01   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Gotta love the new UI:
I do love it. That's why I've been using Mac OSX for the last 3 years.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 14:08   #12
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Quote:

Gotta love the new UI:
about as compatable as well
Old 19-05-2006, 15:22   #13
jamesclarke555
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
lol

True, comparisons can be made but I think Vista's UI is nicer and more intuitive.

I'm looking forward to see what 'Leopard' will bring though.
Old 19-05-2006, 16:03   #14
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

I have used this little free tool on my machine its called VistaBootPro and you can use it to change the bootloader options on your machine if you have Vista loaded on it as you cant just edit the boot.ini file anymore.

http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/

Dont go poking around with this too much though if you dont know what your doing.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 16:12   #15
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
I have used this little free tool on my machine its called VistaBootPro and you can use it to change the bootloader options on your machine if you have Vista loaded on it as you cant just edit the boot.ini file anymore.

http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/

Dont go poking around with this too much though if you dont know what your doing.
No but you can edit the vista loader in vista to default to older os then edit boot ini to set up older versions