Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Leaving Job Notice and -P45 Advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Leaving Job Notice and -P45 Advice

Old 10-03-2006, 19:16   #1
Louise_Jones
Permanently Banned

Louise_Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaving Job Notice and -P45 Advice

I am going to leave my job. What should I write and include in a notice and how do I sort out my P45? Thanks
Louise_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2006, 19:32   #2
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Re: Leaving Job Notice and -P45 Advice

Dear sir/madam
This is to inform you I wish to formally terminate my contract of employment with the company.
My last working day will be XXXXX
Yours sincerely Louise Jones

Your P45 should be forwarded to you just after your last pay
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 19:34   #3
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

What you write all depends on your reason for leaving.

As for your P45 this should be given to you by your current employer on the day you leave or soon after.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 19:41   #4
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

If you really like your boss, write a nice letter saying how much you've enjoyed working with them, how much you'll miss them and you're sorry to be leaving.
If you hate your boss, follow Scrubb's template and just state the facts.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 20:41   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Lots of ideas here: http://www.i-resign.com/uk/letters/default.asp
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 22:06   #6
PS1
Inactive

Services: FIRE,AMBULANCE AND POLICE
PS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to beholdPS1 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Re: Leaving Job Notice and -P45 Advice

Or you could try the old fachioned way. and shout!............................................ .....

"YOU CAN STICK YOUR F*!@ING JOB UP YOUR ****, I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

EXCELLENT!
PS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 22:07   #7
Minbu
Inactive

Services: VM TV & BB, BT phone
Minbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to all

Or, for a really extreme approach: http://www.derbygripe.co.uk/resign.htm
Minbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 22:20   #8
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minbu
Or, for a really extreme approach: http://www.derbygripe.co.uk/resign.htm
That is absolute genius!!
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 22:25   #9
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Talking Re: Leaving Job Notice and -P45 Advice

I have to admit, a mate of mine at work, when he resigned, used a letter based on this one and that is the truth
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 22:41   #10
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

You should find out first how much notice you're required to give by your Terms of Employment; a common clause is to require 1 week per year of service. I'd have to give 6 weeks' notice; anyone at our place who's worked there 10 years would have to give 10 weeks; anyone there for 12 or more years has to give 12 weeks, the maximum.

Mind you, that may be just our place, which in many ways resembles not so much a progressive 21st Century environment as a 19th Century sweatshop...
Old 10-03-2006, 22:45   #11
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse
You should find out first how much notice you're required to give by your Terms of Employment; a common clause is to require 1 week per year of service. I'd have to give 6 weeks' notice; anyone at our place who's worked there 10 years would have to give 10 weeks; anyone there for 12 or more years has to give 12 weeks, the maximum.

Mind you, that may be just our place, which in many ways resembles not so much a progressive 21st Century environment as a 19th Century sweatshop...
Where I work, the theoretical period is a month, but in reality, you could leave at anytime, if you know that your future prospects will be unaffected by anything they can do.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 22:47   #12
monkey2468
Inactive

Services: 1tb tivo, vhd, 60meg shub2 cablemodem, 1Xphoneline, Virgin mobile contract p
monkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse

Ahh, so your an NTL employee....
monkey2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 23:00   #13
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Where I work, the theoretical period is a month, but in reality, you could leave at anytime, if you know that your future prospects will be unaffected by anything they can do.
as I understand, that is the case - salaried staff are paid 'in arrears', so can leave immediately at their own discretion

- it can work the other way, if your new job is with a competitor to your existing employer, some may offer you 'gardening holiday' deals, to cease work immediately - but not work for the new firm for the duration of your 'notice'