Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WAG354G - Set Up Query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WAG354G - Set Up Query

Old 25-10-2005, 14:58   #1
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Services: NTL basic phone/TV package with Dial-up
ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them
Linksys WAG354G - Set Up Query

Being very pleased with my Linksys WRT54G on my NTL BB line I decided to stick with Linksys and get my daughter (who's living elsewhere) a Linksys WAG354G for the BT line at her place.

When I originally set up my WRT54G I had to change the frequency from the factory default to the frequency furthest from it (a trick I learned from these very forums) in order to keep a good connection. I just wondered if I will need to do the same with the WAG354G.

Any advice much appreciated as well as any other hints and tips for the WAG354G.
Cheers
ilford-jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2005, 15:39   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Linksys WAG354G - Set Up Query

Maybe you will need to change, maybe you won't. It can depend on what is going on around your Daughetr's pad that might or might not cause interference.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 15:50   #3
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilford-jedi
Being very pleased with my Linksys WRT54G on my NTL BB line I decided to stick with Linksys and get my daughter (who's living elsewhere) a Linksys WAG354G for the BT line at her place.

When I originally set up my WRT54G I had to change the frequency from the factory default to the frequency furthest from it (a trick I learned from these very forums) in order to keep a good connection. I just wondered if I will need to do the same with the WAG354G.

Any advice much appreciated as well as any other hints and tips for the WAG354G.
Cheers
No - the signal strenght and the box's ability to keep the connection is far better than previous models. Something i know well as i had the WAG54G and complained like hell to Linksys as it kept dropping connections. Funnily enough they eventually decided to supply me with a shiny new WAG354G and i've never had the problem since.

It should be fine!
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 16:41   #4
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

Yeah it should be fine! The formware on the box is pretty good for a release version and there are no updates so far and I only have a few niggles with mine, but so far it's been on an never locked up or had signal problems since I bought it 2 months or so ago.
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 19:34   #5
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelecki
Yeah it should be fine! The formware on the box is pretty good for a release version and there are no updates so far and I only have a few niggles with mine, but so far it's been on an never locked up or had signal problems since I bought it 2 months or so ago.
Dont suppose you have noticed any issues with port forwarding have you? Specifically single port forwarding?
Old 25-10-2005, 19:40   #6
Strzelecki
Inactive

Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

Not really no, the only issue I had was with Far Cry, I could not get it to logon to Ubi, but I don't think this was a fault of the router as opening port for Battlefield worked fine and remote management does not seem to want to work, although this could ba good security feature!
Old 28-10-2005, 15:37   #7
ilford-jedi
Inactive

ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks Guys. What's the best incryption to use on the firewall?
Old 28-10-2005, 19:33   #8
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

WPA - but you need to make sure your Wireless card supports it.
Old 20-11-2005, 19:38   #9
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Sorry, just one last question. Will I need to use the installation software CD or is it just a matter of plugging it in, connecting it up and off I go?
Cheers.
Old 20-11-2005, 20:03   #10
Strzelecki
Inactive

You don't need to touch the CD. Connect to the router via your network cable, login to the router as per the instructions that come with it and enter your ISP logon details into the setup page, apply them and then check the status page to make sure it's getting a connection. Try going on the net, if successful then setup the wireless part.