Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Question : Routers and LAN IP addresses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Question : Routers and LAN IP addresses

Old 26-09-2005, 12:57   #1
JohnLan
Inactive

JohnLan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question : Routers and LAN IP addresses

Hi

I am new here so hello to everyone..

I have a question -

I want to connect my LAN of two PC's that use static IP addresses that I have made up to the internet (via cable modem).

I want to keep my static IP addresses - will this be possible if I use a router as a a go-between between the cable modem and my PC's?

Many thanks for any help.
JohnLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2005, 13:02   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Question : Routers and LAN IP addresses

to Cable Forum

In theory yes. You will need to find a configuration setting in the router that allows you to change the default LAN IP range settings of the router. The router's range will need to be the same of you network.

You will also need to set the router LAN IP as a gateway in each workstation's IP settings so as to get out onto the internet.

However, to avoid confusion, you probably do not want the IP range of your LAN, to be in the same range as the IP issued by the modem to the router's WAN port.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 13:04   #3
JohnLan
Inactive

Thanks for the quick response

As for my static IP's on my 2 PC's - that can be anything as long as they are static. I mean I don't have a problem changing them to any other IP as long as it is static.
Old 26-09-2005, 13:12   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

In whcih case it's even easier to setup. Plug in your router and reboot modem and router. Connect your PCs, set the IP on the PCs to the same as the router LAN range, together with adding the gateway and that should be it.
Old 26-09-2005, 13:16   #5
atlantis

Welcome to the Cable Forum.Hope this link helps:

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/forums/msg...forum=2&tz=-60
Old 26-09-2005, 13:30   #6
JohnLan
Inactive

One last question, will the fact that my ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses interfere with my plans for the network I described above?

Again, thanks for so many reponses.
Old 26-09-2005, 13:32   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Your router will pick up the assigned address from the modem as it's WAN port. That will be transparent to you.

Your LAN side can do whatever you need it to, independent of your ISP.
Old 26-09-2005, 13:33   #8
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Yes, you would turn the dhcp server off on the router, change the router IP to be in the same range as your two static IPs and you should be golden.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 13:39   #9
JohnLan
Inactive

Great. This has answered all my questions.

You guys are the dogs b*ll*cks.
Old 26-09-2005, 14:02   #10
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLan
Thanks for the quick response

As for my static IP's on my 2 PC's - that can be anything as long as they are static. I mean I don't have a problem changing them to any other IP as long as it is static.
Thing is, with most routers, if there are only the two items (or more on the LAN) then the IP will remain static anyway.
My Linksys WRT54G had a device connected to it that had not been connected for about 4 months. At the time it had two devices connected and allocated to 192.168.1.100 and 101, despite the time the device was allocated to 106, the IP allocated previously.

You don't need to turn the DCHP server in the router off though if the PC has a manual address set, just make sure you don't allocate in the DCHP range. For linksys this is by default 100-150, so anything below this can be static (and / or you can change the dynamic range).
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote