Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection problems - is it the wireless network or NTL?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection problems - is it the wireless network or NTL?

Old 19-09-2005, 15:58   #1
ViLLaN
Inactive

ViLLaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection problems - is it the wireless network or NTL?

Hi all,

I have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router and PCI card from the same range. They both have the latest released firmware/drivers. I run on channel 6 and there are no neighbouring wireless connections.

Whenever I play EVE Online and use Teamspeak, after some indeterminate amount of time, my internet connection drops. A couple of times the wireless connection has dropped with the connectivity wanging up and down. Sometimes the connection comes back, sometimes I just run upstairs and reset the modem and the router.

I can't really try wired as the modem is in the loft room and the PC is two floors down in the dining room.

Could it be the wireless network causing issues?

Is it worth getting NTL to come and move the modem?

Thanks
Neal
ViLLaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2005, 16:04   #2
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M
Re: Connection problems - is it the wireless network or NTL?

If you've got 2 floors between an access point and the client, I'd say you're probably getting a bad wireless signal.

Physical barriers are a worse hindrance to the signal than distance.
Both in combination however, is even more likely to cause problems.
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 16:06   #3
zing_deleted

I am currently touting Homeplug networking as an ulternative to wireless in certain circumstances,have had very successful results from these,they use the mains as a wired network http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
Old 19-09-2005, 17:00   #4
ViLLaN
Inactive

ViLLaN is an unknown quantity at this point

The Solwise stuff certainly looks interesting and I may go that way in the future to expand the network. In the meantime, NTL are coming to move the modem next week. That way I can ditch the router to see if the router was causing the problem or NTL.
ViLLaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 18:27   #5
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

I have an aerial extender from solwise which just moves the aerial away from the back of the PC where the wiring is... does the job, the signal's better.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote