Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | hard wired

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

hard wired

Old 16-09-2005, 22:01   #1
fto andy
Inactive

fto andy is an unknown quantity at this point
hard wired

hi all ive been looking around cant find the right info i need so sorry but here goes
i have been using a d-link di-624 wireless router for a while for the wifes laptop and normal hardwire for the home desk top, i dont know enough about setting it up and have now given up on it sometimes it ok most times not, the question is is there some kind of splitter for the back of the set top box that i can use to hard wire both and if there is will this affect the speed much if we are both using the internet at the same time?
ps im on 1meg connection
any help woul be great cheers andy
fto andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2005, 22:44   #2
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
Re: hard wired

to cf, i dont know myself but being a friday evening its a bit quiet

but i'm sure you will get all the info you need soon
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 23:01   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Thread Moved to Computers & IT

Andy

You can't connect both the router & the desktop PC to the set top box (STB) at the same time - a normal ntl broadband connection only supplies one IP address & only allows one device to be connected at any one time.

But... you don't need to try & connect both to the STB, as you have a router.

The main point of a router is to share a connection between 2 or more computers.

Your best option is to simply connect the router to the STB, & connect the desktop PC to one of the router's LAN ports on the back using an ethernet cable, while the laptop connects wirelessly to the router (but if you wanted to hardwire that too you could, as the router has 4 ethernet LAN ports on the back).

Set up of the router should be fairly straight forward. It simply needs to be set to obtain an IP address automatically, & to have its internal DHCP server turned on to assign IPs for the desktop & laptop. These may actually be the default settings, but if not, then it should be easy to change them in the router's web-based interface.

Also, if it hasn't been done already, the router needs to be registered with ntl (see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...r.html#pacereg) [unless the router has had the PC's MAC address "cloned" onto it, in which case it won't need registering].

Speed when both are in use... it depends on what you are doing.

Here's the DI-624's product page at the D-Link website:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6

There are manuals & install guides there - hopefully some useful info
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 21:21   #4
fto andy
Inactive

fto andy is an unknown quantity at this point

hi matt
thanks for your help looks like ill have to give it another go,it started to get unstable with the wireles side of things to the laptop and now i cant get no connection @ all to the desk top when going through the router
i have reset,tryed the auto setup @ desk top, done the dchp release renew,and it does have the PC's MAC address "cloned" onto it.
tnx m8 andy
fto andy is offline   Reply With Quote