Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Custom wireless internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Custom wireless internet

Old 13-09-2005, 16:02   #1
Wez
Inactive

Services: Telewest Blueyonder
Wez is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Custom wireless internet

Okay, from the past I know that blueyonder only allow 1 MAC address per internet connection, but for an extra monthy cost they'll add 1 more MAC allowance.
Recently I have bought 2 Wireless PCI cards, and wondering if I can use the wireless network to connect to the internet.
My computer downstairs is connected directly to the cable modem supplied to me, and I want to know if it is possible to use the internet on my upstairs computer through internet sharing...

(I can't find out for myself yet because I'm having networking troubles atm)

thanks, Wez
Wez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2005, 16:55   #2
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Custom wireless internet

So computer downstairs has a wired NIC card which is currently in use and you have two wirless NIC cards? If you put one in each PC then you can use ICS to share the connection.

If you are using ICS then you do not need a second network IP address, the ICS creates a sub network.

You are probably better getting a separate router though and then connecting both to the router instead, again the router creates a subnetwork connected to the original IP address on the WAN.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote