Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any advice on irregular short broadband outages?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Any advice on irregular short broadband outages?

Old 17-03-2015, 09:57   #1
DamnMachine
cf.member

DamnMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Any advice on irregular short broadband outages?

I have been experiencing frequent but irregular and short broadband outages for well over six months and need advice

Setup:
- GU16 area code
- Former NTL customer
- Superhub [VMDG480] several years old, running in cable modem mode
- Netgear WNDR3700v3 also several years old, running as primary router and wifi hub
- Netgear F5606 additional four port switch
- 2x Netgear Powerline AV200 linking to
- Netgear WGR614 additional wifi hub
The 8 wired ports connect to:
- 3 Windows 7 PCs
- 2 NAS
- 1 Sonos Bridge
The Wifi supports 2 iphones, 2 ipads, and a Sonos Play 5

Symptoms:
- Periodically when web browsing pages will start to hang while loading and eventually time out. Lots of different sites, not just one. The effect is even more obvious when listening to streaming radio - the music just stops. This happens multiple times a day (so far three times between 8am and 10am) but not in any predictable manner. The service typically comes back within 1-2 minutes
- When it happens, if I log into the main Netgear router, it shows that it's Internet connection is down. If I look at the Superhub lights, I see first flashing blue and solid green, then two green flashing, then the blue goes back to solid and the service returns.
- This all happens on both wired and wifi connections, so I don't think it's a wifi problem.
- I've been experiencing the problem for months, but only today got round to calling Virgin support. They quoted a known problem in my area (F003513157) which was identified a month ago and is scheduled to be fixed in a month's time. Strangely there is a different fault reported on https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status - F0035181802 identified a week ago and due to be fixed in a week. But since my problem has gone on long before either of these faults were identified, and since the service works fine with a good 100Mbits on speedtest.net apart from these outages, I am a bit doubtful that either of these faults is the underlying problem.

Theories:
- It could be a fault with my main Netgear router. But I've got it on the latest firmware, so exploring this involves blowing £100 on a new router
- It could be a fault with the Superhub. But I have no way of getting into it to inspect, because it's in cable modem mode. It's a full half day's work to tear down the setup, diagnose the Superhub in router mode, then re-instate.
- It could be a fault with my Virgin connection. But again, I don't think I can inspect the signal levels because the Superhub is in cable modem mode. I also operate a Tivo and a V+ box, both of which suffer from regular pixellation. I guess I could pull the signal levels from one of those, but I am not sure how applicable those would be to my broadband link.

In the mean-time, I have that nightmare: a frequent but intermittent problem that can't be demonstrated to the support engineers but is causing the broadband to be so unreliable that you can't use it for voice, streaming, or video.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
DamnMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2015, 10:36   #2
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Any advice on irregular short broadband outages?

Type 192.168.100.1 into a browser, click on router status in the top right, post the downstream and upstream stats here. People will tell you whether there ok or not for a start.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 10:59   #3
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I suspect it is your connection. Do as Jon says, paste your stats here please.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:46   #4
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

When looking at your stats, please refresh the upstream page a few times and note whether or not upstream power is moving around.

You might also care to post the network log; the SH1 is not very good at retaining data but we might just see a T3/T4 event (usually upstream) or a Synch Failure (downstream) that would cause the reset.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 16:21   #5
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Possible faulty splitter and/or isolator.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 16:12   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnMachine View Post
I don't think I can inspect the signal levels because the Superhub is in cable modem mode
Go to http://192.168.100.1 and look at the following:

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote