Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Odd Calls and Police Advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Odd Calls and Police Advice

Old 12-08-2011, 16:45   #1
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one
Odd Calls and Police Advice

I signed upto the TPS years ago and until reciently i had very few marketing calls.

Reciently they have been asking over and over for a Mrs T Owen and ive also had some really weird ones such as wanting to know what brand of TV i have and how old is it and not taking no for an answer until i tell them not so politely where to go.

Earlier then i had the well known scam call from a company claiming to be acting on behalf of Microsoft called Computing 24/7 and a bloke called Olaf Neil Stating Microsoft asked them to contact me cos i have a Legal Version of Windows and it is infected with Malware and as soon as i mentioned the police he hang up.

I contacted the Police and reported it and the lady i spoke to insisted i also reported these add calls to my provider to see if they can do anything but no idea who i am to contact.

Anyone know?
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2011, 18:02   #2
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
Re: Odd Calls and Police Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
I signed upto the TPS years ago and until reciently i had very few marketing calls.

Reciently they have been asking over and over for a Mrs T Owen and ive also had some really weird ones such as wanting to know what brand of TV i have and how old is it and not taking no for an answer until i tell them not so politely where to go.

Earlier then i had the well known scam call from a company claiming to be acting on behalf of Microsoft called Computing 24/7 and a bloke called Olaf Neil Stating Microsoft asked them to contact me cos i have a Legal Version of Windows and it is infected with Malware and as soon as i mentioned the police he hang up.

I contacted the Police and reported it and the lady i spoke to insisted i also reported these add calls to my provider to see if they can do anything but no idea who i am to contact.

Anyone know?
I have also had the TV call.
They had asked the TV brand, where it was purchased from and how long has it been owned.
They then ended the call saying "You have registered to allow 3rd parties to contact you and ask more information" then suddenly hung up.

I find this very cheeky, and is it even legal as I had no idea I was signing up for my information to be passed on??

They keep pestering and calling over and over again
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 21:57   #3
SimpleSimon
cf.addict

Services: VIP Package
SimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud of

Quote:

Anyone know?
They are advising you to tell whoever provides your telephone service - BT, Virgin, TalkTalk etc
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 06:24   #4
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Yes and my provider is Virgin but i dont know if Virgin has a specific department that i need to contact.
Old 13-08-2011, 10:49   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

They'll just refer you to ofcom..

Calls like the TV one is nothing to do with the police and most of the time it's companies who either don't care about TPS, truly have a 3rd party agreement (you'd be amazed at how many forms/websites/contracts you sign give 3rd parties permission to contact you), hide their sales calls via market research (true market research calls are not covered by TPS) or are out of the country.. If you believe that you shouldn;t be recieving these calls then try VM but in the end they will not be able to help and ofcom will be your next point of contact.. Ofcom though will not help until you;ve been via your telephone service provider. Just call VM's customer services and they will put you through to the correct department.

As for the microsoft they are acting illegally and the place to report them is http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/ which has full police support. No good ringing up a local station as the reports get spread around the country. http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/ is at very least a central point of contact so there's more point in finding them
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:56   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
They'll just refer you to ofcom..

Calls like the TV one is nothing to do with the police and most of the time it's companies who either don't care about TPS, truly have a 3rd party agreement (you'd be amazed at how many forms/websites/contracts you sign give 3rd parties permission to contact you), hide their sales calls via market research (true market research calls are not covered by TPS) or are out of the country.. If you believe that you shouldn;t be recieving these calls then try VM but in the end they will not be able to help and ofcom will be your next point of contact.. Ofcom though will not help until you;ve been via your telephone service provider. Just call VM's customer services and they will put you through to the correct department.

As for the microsoft they are acting illegally and the place to report them is http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/ which has full police support. No good ringing up a local station as the reports get spread around the country. http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/ is at very least a central point of contact so there's more point in finding them
My husband plays games with the Microsoft scammers.He gives a wrong name,asks them for theirs,says can he speak to their supervisor and can he have their telephone number so he can ring back.The last lot called him some names that I'm positive no MS professional would use and I can't repeat.

I just put the phone down on them and leave it to the answer-phone for a bit.
Old 14-08-2011, 08:16   #7
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

We have had a few calls of late & originating from outside the UK (judging by the accent & the international that comes up on the phone)
They claim to be on behalf of a lifestyle survey but, and here is the strange thing they are asking for my wife with her previous surname (we have been married 3 yrs) & her son who has lived with his dad for years & is only now 17. They get the short shrift from me, I have no time for these type of people.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 09:14   #8
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

A friend of mine had one yesterday while the ambulance was there as his wife had just passed away who he has cared for for years after a botched operation for a blood clot on the brain and they wouldnt get off the phone and were adiment he should do the survey even though he explained the situation.
Old 14-08-2011, 09:16   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

BTW, you say you signed up for TPS years ago... you do realise that you have to re-affirm your registration every year?
Old 14-08-2011, 11:38   #10
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
BTW, you say you signed up for TPS years ago... you do realise that you have to re-affirm your registration every year?
Not if you're residential.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:41   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

I keep forgetting that we're registered with CTPS
Old 14-08-2011, 11:42   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
As Chris says only the Corporate numbers have to re register which I presume you have to do running a business, which is good for other members to know so a good headsup for them.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq/

Quote:
16. Do I need to renew my subscription with the TPS?
If you have registered a residential number or a number belonging to a sole trader or (except in Scotland) partnership, you do not need to renew. However, if you have registered a number on to the Corporate TPS belonging to a Limited company, Plc or other large organisation, you are required to renew annually. In this case TPS will send you an e-mail each year to notify you of this. Failure to renew will result in your number(s) being removed from the CTPS data file.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 16:40   #13
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Anyone know?
Hahahaha have you got a TV licence? if not then it is probably them carrying out a survey to see if you watch TV. I've heard that this is how they catch people out sometimes.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 14:37   #14
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Daz/Teeside is on a distinguished roadDaz/Teeside is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Anyone know?
No help what so ever but I have exactly the same. Mr or Miss Ward is the name I get, tried everything it seems we are going to have to spend even more money to get something that is effective, why Virgin can't provide a service or hardware is beyond me, we pay enough for the privelage of their services!
Daz/Teeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:03   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz/Teeside View Post
No help what so ever but I have exactly the same. Mr or Miss Ward is the name I get, tried everything it seems we are going to have to spend even more money to get something that is effective, why Virgin can't provide a service or hardware is beyond me, we pay enough for the privelage of their services!
You could also ask why BT cannot provide such a service and I think you will find that oddly it is not possible as the calls are not UK based and the is no way to regulate or prevent the calls coming through.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote