Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Mobile Coverage

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Mobile Coverage

Old 16-01-2011, 11:50   #1
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light
Virgin Mobile Coverage

Having just changed networks from O2 to Virgin will I notice any differences in signal and coverage, will it be the usual out in the sticks weak signal and in town strong or are there certain areas of UK that just dont compete, or are they both equally as good and poor.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2011, 14:21   #2
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Virgin Mobile Coverage

Yes, when I left o2 i found that virgins coverage (which uses the t mobile network) is poorer than o2's coverage. I got weaker signals in areas where I used to get strong ones and some areas just had no signal at all.

I've since changed to tesco who use o2's network and get 500 minutes, unlimited texts and data (t&c's apply) for £10 a month for a sim only package.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 14:42   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I find virgins reception the weakest, if only they could use orange network
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 16:11   #4
Dave_M
Inactive

Dave_M is an unknown quantity at this point

Worth checking this rather than relying on operators claims.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I find virgins reception the weakest, if only they could use orange network
My sentiments exactly !
Dave_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 16:33   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

T-Mobile is by far the patchiest 1800 GSM provider. Around the main population centres it works well, but go to wales or the south west and it's hit & miss whether you get coverage, even in some of the bigger towns.

Just a note, the Sitefinder database is up to date for every provider except T-Mobile who stopped providing data 2 years ago.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 18:08   #6
Dave_M
Inactive

Additionally coverage could get worse as Orange & T Mobile rationalise network infrastructure following the merger unless Virgin come to an agreement with EE. Given the roaming agreement that Orange & T Mobile customers have Virgin now find themselves on what is the UK's worst performing network
Old 16-01-2011, 18:10   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Maybe it's time virgin had a chat with 02 or vodafone
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:13   #8
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

I used to be with Virgin Mobile but found the coverage in my area (Winnersh Berks RG41) was very patchy, it ranged from 3 bars to no signal in a space of a few yards. I changed to Asda Mobile who use the Vodafone back bone and the coverage was excellent.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 22:51   #9
efc85
Inactive

Services: XL+ tv/ss + sm 20mb broadband blackberry on virginmobile
efc85 is on a distinguished roadefc85 is on a distinguished road

unfortunately it doesn't even work in towns.There are quite simply too few tmobile transmitters to provide an adequate service.I'm half a mile from the town centre of the most heavily populated town in cheshire and yet still have to go outside to make a call.A quick look at sidefinder will show 4 vodaphone or o2 transmitters to an area which tmobile expect to be served by 2.Coverage map shows 4 bars which is quite ludicrous,i've not tried the rooftop yet but i doubt that's even achievable there.Why virginmobile haven't yet sorted out the roaming to orange is quite unbelievable as any day soon tmobile transmitters could start being switched off in favour of orange ones.
efc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 11:45   #10
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

I do quite a bit of travelling so shall be interested to see what signals I get in different areas, hopefully I have not made a mistake switching over to Virgin from O2, as I do rely on texting and phone usage quite a bit.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 11:53   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
Additionally coverage could get worse as Orange & T Mobile rationalise network infrastructure following the merger unless Virgin come to an agreement with EE. Given the roaming agreement that Orange & T Mobile customers have Virgin now find themselves on what is the UK's worst performing network
As the rationalisation will be accompanied by a full merger of the networks (i.e. creation of a single network, not the free roaming arrangement that currently exists) I don't think there's any basis for suggesting customers with Virgin Mobile phones will see a worsening of their coverage. Once they are able to use a fully merged T-Mobile/Orange infrastructure their coverage will undoubtedly get a whole lot better.

I have been an Orange customer for years, and continue to be so purely because their coverage is the only reliable one where I live. However I like the deals Virgin offers from time to time; their adherence to the shoddiness that is the T-Mobile network is the only reason I've never taken up any of them.

Once the T-Mobile/Orange network merger is complete, I may well switch.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 18:56   #12
Dave_M
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As the rationalisation will be accompanied by a full merger of the networks (i.e. creation of a single network, not the free roaming arrangement that currently exists) I don't think there's any basis for suggesting customers with Virgin Mobile phones will see a worsening of their coverage. Once they are able to use a fully merged T-Mobile/Orange infrastructure their coverage will undoubtedly get a whole lot better.
I'm sure it would but according to customer services there is no plan to start using the new network. Difficult to see how it would work if that really is the case but integration starts early 2011 so I guess we'll soon find out. It's poor that Virgin can't see fit to make a statement.
Old 17-01-2011, 19:05   #13
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

i use Virgin mobile ,for about 2 years and have no problems anywhere in the north of england .Out into the sticks by allendale,hexam , upto the otherside of anick ,fair enough it's not always 4 bars but i don't think i have never been able to make a call ,i may be lucky but i am happy with the coverage
Old 17-01-2011, 19:59   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
I'm sure it would but according to customer services there is no plan to start using the new network. Difficult to see how it would work if that really is the case but integration starts early 2011 so I guess we'll soon find out. It's poor that Virgin can't see fit to make a statement.
I suspect that simply means the CSRs don't have a clue.

Once there is only a single, unified network made of a mix of T-Mobile and Orange hardware, Virgin Mobile will have no option but to use the 'new' network. There won't be an alternative. Well, except for Voda or O2, but I can't see that happening.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 17:31   #15
Dave_M
Inactive

Definitely, they can't simply do nothing. Full integration will take some time but the rationalisation of the network is starting early 2011. If VM don't reach an agreement in the near future then it's possible that some customers could see a drop or even loss of service. I asked the question to 'The Team' who's response was that if this were to happen then it would be treated on a case by case basis.