Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Needs serious help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Needs serious help

Old 18-03-2007, 10:59   #1
DSX
Inactive

DSX is on a distinguished roadDSX is on a distinguished road
Needs serious help

Hi as a new member, I would like to ask some basic questions first.

I want to setup a wireless, router network in my home.

I am currently using 2 pcs and 2 laptops. They have the operating systems stated below,

Xp home edition, Vista, 2003 SERVER (used most of the time).

my iso at the moment is talktalk but might change to some1 else in a couple of months. The max speed is supposed to be 8MB/s but they have reduced to 1MB/s cos i was having trouble (their reason was that my home is far from the exchange, even though i live near birmingham town centre). Anyway, at 1MB/s its working fine.

I am using thomson speedtouch 330 modem.

I want the pcs and laptops connected to the wireless internet simultaneously.

Please verify if the list of equipment needed to achieve this is correct.

Router, (PLEASE RECOMMED ONE. I have read linksys is cheap and good. zyxel and draytek are expensive but the best. I need a router that is cheap, yet very reliable. Doesnt loose signal, ever (ok, not most of the time), etc.).

wifi cards, software for each laptop and pc?

Please give me an idea about what might be useful. Also i read this article which says that i can get a cheap router to perform like the best.

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/r...ter-178132.php

Regards,
DSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2007, 11:16   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Needs serious help

Hi there and to the forums.

You will indeed need wireless cards in each of your systems.
These do not cost much and I always reccomend you go with an internal PCI card than the USB wireless sticks as I have known them to not be as reliable.
Most PCI cards will do the same job so it doesnt really matter what you go for here. If you want to be sure, just go for the same make as your router.

Many people here like the Linksys WRT54GSUK router.
Available here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-G-B...4216202&sr=8-1

Do note that your current modem will have to have an ethernet port on it to connect to the router.
If it does not, you will need to look for an ADSL router.
The reason I recommend this one is in the event you change to another ISP, you will be able to use it.

You will not have to install any additional software to your PC's unless they require drivers that come with your network cards.

The thing about Wifi is that although it will work most of the time it does depend on the surroundings, so you can't guarentee a 100% connection rate.
You should be ok most of the time though.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 11:20   #3
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I think you'll need an ADSL router? But, I would recommend the Linksys also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
Please give me an idea about what might be useful. Also i read this article which says that i can get a cheap router to perform like the best.

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/r...ter-178132.php

Regards,
I performed this 'hack' and it's great! You can turn the wireless signal up and I get signal from the end of my street now!
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 11:23   #4
DSX
Inactive

Thank you mate for the quick reply.

Speedtouch 330

http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/codepage...&ProductID=471

Q: What types of ADSL modem are there?
A: There are two main types of modem, USB and Ethernet. USB means Universal Serial Bus and means that this type of modem connects to a USB port on your computer. USB modems are most commonly used for single user connection, e.g. the SpeedTouch 330, and are powered by the computer through the USB connection.
An Ethernet modem connects to an Ethernet port on your computer, wireless access point, or games console. The Speed Touch 516, 536, 546, 585, 608 and 716 are all Ethernet devices, powered by a separate mains transformer.

SO WILL I NEED TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER ONE.

regards,
Old 18-03-2007, 11:26   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Just looked and your modem seems to only support USB.
In this case you will need an ADSL wireless router that will replace the modem so it will be a modem / router all in one.

The problem is that if you then decide to switch to a cable provider such as VirginMedia, you will require a cable router.
If you only intend to be with an ADSL ISP, then no problem.

Old 18-03-2007, 11:42   #6
DSX
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Just looked and your modem seems to only support USB.
In this case you will need an ADSL wireless router that will replace the modem so it will be a modem / router all in one.

The problem is that if you then decide to switch to a cable provider such as VirginMedia, you will require a cable router.
If you only intend to be with an ADSL ISP, then no problem.

what is the best option for me now.

get an Adsl router

Then get the linksys router as well?

obviously the cards, etc.

And if i change to another cable isp, I will have to change to cable router, wired router?

then what will i need to get me started with them.

Regards,
Old 18-03-2007, 13:33   #7
martin42h
Inactive

Services: VM VIP, Freeview
martin42h is on a distinguished roadmartin42h is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to switch to Virgin Media if you are in a cabled area - you'll get much better performance if as you say you can only get 1 Mb on ADSL. VM will provide the cable modem with ethernet connection and get the Linksys router as others have suggested. Setting it up is a breeze.
martin42h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 13:46   #8
DSX
Inactive

I will need to be with talktalk until my contract ends. So for these couple of months I am looking for alternatives.

What u have described here is all too easy if i am with virgin.

But before i move to virgin, i need something to get me through the rest of my contract with talktalk.

Hence, the need for routers,etc compatible right now.

Regards,
Old 18-03-2007, 16:19   #9
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Maybe you will be able to pick up someone elses wireless!
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 16:28   #10
Halcyon
Hello !

Alternatively, see if you can find a wireless cable router that accepts both ethernet and USB in whice case you keep your modem and plug it into the router via USB.

Old 18-03-2007, 17:47   #11
DSX
Inactive

Quote:
Alternatively, see if you can find a wireless cable router that accepts both ethernet and USB in whice case you keep your modem and plug it into the router via USB.
Thanks forthe replies guys. I want to purchase one tomorrow morning.

How about this.

BT Voyager 2500V Wireless Modem Router

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BT-VOYAGER-250...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 18-03-2007, 17:48   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well what ever the original poster decides can they drop by the Most Helpful Post Award in the Website Discussion forum and nominate the post that was the most helpful to them?

Thank you.

Incognitas.
Old 18-03-2007, 17:51   #13
DSX
Inactive

sure mate. I have had huge help here. I posted on many forums but the people here are very helpful. Everyone help me to their best ability. Really appreciate it.
Old 18-03-2007, 19:04   #14
Halcyon
Hello !

It does say it has been unlocked to work with all ISP's, but remember this will only be for ISP'S that use an ADSL connection.

If you were to go for the BT Voyager 2500V, you would not use your current modem as this router has one built in.

Do remember this is a BT specific modem/router. They do say it has been unlocked, so I guess that means it should work with all ISP's. Just double check with them.
You may need to contact your ISP for settings when setting up a new ADSL modem/router.

Ideally you could go for an integrated Linksys ADSL wireless router. You would then not need to use your current modem.
However, you would then have to use another ADSL provider if you wanted to continue using the router.

If you are in a cable area and decide to go to cable, you would then need to ditch this router as cable companies supply you with a different modem and you would only need a cable router, not an ADSL one that has a modem inside it.

Some more people migh thave a few more ideas for you, so stick around and I'm sure someone will chip in with some more views.

Old 18-03-2007, 19:12   #15
DSX
Inactive

Quote:
It does say it has been unlocked to work with all ISP's, but remember this will only be for ISP'S that use an ADSL connection.

If you were to go for the BT Voyager 2500V, you would not use your current modem as this router has one built in.

Do remember this is a BT specific modem/router. They do say it has been unlocked, so I guess that means it should work with all ISP's. Just double check with them.
You may need to contact your ISP for settings when setting up a new ADSL modem/router.

Ideally you could go for an integrated Linksys ADSL wireless router. You would then not need to use your current modem.
However, you would then have to use another ADSL provider if you wanted to continue using the router.

If you are in a cable area and decide to go to cable, you would then need to ditch this router as cable companies supply you with a different modem and you would only need a cable router, not an ADSL one that has a modem inside it.

Some more people migh thave a few more ideas for you, so stick around and I'm sure someone will chip in with some more views.
Yes, it is definately compatible with all other adsl isp's. At the moment i m with talktalk who r adsl as well.

I know if i move to cable isp, then i wont need this equipment anymore, etc.

One more thing.

Is the linksys router compatible with all adsl ips's?

Thanks mate. Yes, i will stick around. Hope someone links me to some equipment which is useful with both adsl and cable isp's.

Or else, i would rather go with linksys router (if its compatible with all adsls), rather than the unlocked one.

Kind Regards,