Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | XBox360 HD-DVD drive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

XBox360 HD-DVD drive

Old 24-12-2006, 19:55   #1
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
XBox360 HD-DVD drive

As I'm getting an HD Ready TV, I'm quite tempted to get the 360's HD-DVD drive too.

Everywhere I've looked is out of stock, though.

Have any of CF's 360 owners with HD Ready TVs got one of these rare beasts?

What are they like?

Where'd you find it?

Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2006, 20:21   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: XBox360 HD-DVD drive

Haven't got one, but i've looked on the net also, and can't find the thing anywhere!
Old 24-12-2006, 20:41   #3
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

collect at store available or wait for stock to arrive at warehouse

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=789061&camp
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 21:28   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas View Post
collect at store available or wait for stock to arrive at warehouse

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=789061&camp

I had in look in my local PC World yesterday - completely sold out (as is everywhere else...GAME, Gamestation, etc.), & they had no idea when they'd get more in.

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

Pity MS haven't yet brought out an HDMI cable for the 360...although I'd assume they'll eventually release one by the time the studios start enforcing HDCP.
Old 24-12-2006, 21:35   #5
kronas
Inactive

ebay has some if you are desperate, although komplett.co.uk says 2007-3-1, your next port of calls should be the LARGE stores of tesco and asda.
Old 25-12-2006, 00:22   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Bah, ebay can sod off. I'm happy to wait 'till the new year.

Got a big Asda & Tesco nearby.

Anyone got an HD-DVD drive already?
Old 25-12-2006, 12:53   #7
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

According to their website, they have stock here.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 15:44   #8
zrerz
Inactive

Services: virgin 20meg cable internet, XL tv package & phone + V-Box
zrerz is on a distinguished roadzrerz is on a distinguished road

been told it'll be roughly january before new stock comes into store at game, so asked if they'd take my details and hold one, but told no, not sure how many are coming in, so can't take pre-orders (growl).
zrerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 00:50   #9
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

I went to my local pcworld and currys and they said that they hadnt even had any in. I really want one of these as it would complement my hdtv and 360 superbly.

By the way shouldnt this thread be in the xbox section
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 08:12   #10
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap3000 View Post
True, but a mod made the thread - so we can bend the rules this once..

Im in Cov, and there was a few shops that had 1 or 2 units in stock. Rumour is when the next generation of 360 is released, the HD drive will be intergrated which would be a bummer for us lot who have the 360 now.
Old 26-12-2006, 13:56   #11
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
As I'm getting an HD Ready TV, I'm quite tempted to get the 360's HD-DVD drive too.

What are they like?

The official xbox mag will be doing a full review of the HD-DVD drive in their next issue. In this months they had a small Q&A section on it:

Do I need an HDTV for it to work?
No, the Xbox360 HD DVD drive will work on any regular tv - but the picture will be scaled down to a normal resolution

Is the difference noticeable?
Yes - if you poke your nose right up against the screen. From regular viewing distance on a sofa, you might be hard pressed to see that much of an improvement over a decent DVD.

Do I need an HD lead?
Yes - playing an HD DVD movie on a console connected to a TV with a SCART lead or composite cable will again see the film downscaled to standard DVD-like 480i resolution.

So is it worth it?
Depends. If you want your films to look slightly better, then yes. If not, you might be better off waiting until the whole TV upgrading process becomes significantly cheaper.
Old 27-12-2006, 16:57   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedantic View Post
According to their website, they have stock here.
Nice find! Might wait 'till a retailer I know of has them though.

I liked this bit, lol "YOU SAVE £0.00 !!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap3000 View Post
I went to my local pcworld and currys and they said that they hadnt even had any in. I really want one of these as it would complement my hdtv and 360 superbly.

Same here. None of my local stores has any, & all the usual sites like GAME, Gamestation, Gameplay, Amazon, etc have sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtra[3000

I thought about putting it in the XBox section, but decided to put it in the Tech forum, as it's not really anything to do with gaming, & just happens to be something you connect to a 360 (& also PC if you want )

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrerz View Post
been told it'll be roughly january before new stock comes into store at game, so asked if they'd take my details and hold one, but told no, not sure how many are coming in, so can't take pre-orders (growl).

Yup. V annoying. Nowhere seems to let you pre-order (same with the bloody Wii!!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
Im in Cov, and there was a few shops that had 1 or 2 units in stock. Rumour is when the next generation of 360 is released, the HD drive will be intergrated which would be a bummer for us lot who have the 360 now.

That would really *really* annoy me, & I'm sure many other people, if they did that.

I've also read vague rumours that they're planning on releasing a newer version of the 360 with a built-in HDMI port (presumably for the rumoured one with built-in HD-DVD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
The official xbox mag will be doing a full review of the HD-DVD drive in their next issue. In this months they had a small Q&A section on it:
Hmm. May have to buy that issue then!

Not so sure of their Q&A though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXM
Do I need an HDTV for it to work?
No, the Xbox360 HD DVD drive will work on any regular tv - but the picture will be scaled down to a normal resolution

Why would anyone in their right mind buy an HD-DVD drive if they didn't have an HDTV???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXM
Is the difference noticeable?
Yes - if you poke your nose right up against the screen. From regular viewing distance on a sofa, you might be hard pressed to see that much of an improvement over a decent DVD.
Hmm. Surely the difference would be the pretty much the same as playing games in 720p (or above) on an HDTV vs playing games in PAL/NTSC on a normal TV...
Old 28-12-2006, 12:28   #13
kronas
Inactive

amazon in stock now go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-HD-...=hotukdeals-21
Old 28-12-2006, 15:56   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas View Post
Not anymore.
Old 28-12-2006, 16:03   #15
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

I have an order for one through Play.com - just waiting on the buggers sending it.

I can only imagine that from the time i saw "in stock" to the time i put my card details in it went out of stock again an my order is surplus.

Still it means that next time one comes in to Play.com its mine.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote