Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My Gamma GT levels are 120! And I don't drink alcohol.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

My Gamma GT levels are 120! And I don't drink alcohol.

Old 24-11-2006, 00:06   #1
Enuff

My Gamma GT levels are 120! And I don't drink alcohol.

I had blood tests taken last week and was called into the doctors this week to be told that my cholestrol is slightly higher than normal 6.1, but what worries me the most is I was told that the level of Gamma-Glutamyl Transferase (GGT or "Gamma GT") in my liver are at 120, normal levels are around the 60 mark.

It worries me because high levels are normally seen in people who drink alcohol - I read a post from a alcoholic (not on here) saying that his GGT levels are at 119 and he's been a alcoholic for the past 10 years.

Basically, what I'd like to know is what (other than alcohol) can cause such high GGT levels?

I dont think my doctor believes me when I tell him I don't drink.
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2006, 00:21   #2
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
Re: My Gamma GT levels are 120! And I don't drink alcohol.

I would have thought that a high level indicates liver disease, as oppose to, say, G&T intake. Liver disease could be caused by a variety of things.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 00:43   #3
Enuff

The practice nurse took more blood this week to be sent to the labs so they can check for hepatitis. I had the same tests 3 years ago, which came back negative, I'm hoping that these latest test results come back the same. (fingers crossed).
Old 24-11-2006, 13:51   #4
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

A raised GGT is not a diagnostic indicator on it's own. You have to consider the bigger picture and other symptoms. It can be high in liver disease but is more likely to be a biliary outflow obstruction rather than liver damage.

It can be raised in the obese and has been shown to be linked with an increased likelihood of heart disease. It's also linked with pancreatic problems and diabetes .....Certain drugs can cause it to raise too..

However postulating here would be futile as I don't know enough about Dodger to comment specifically.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 14:28   #5
mark_gg_daniels
Inactive

mark_gg_daniels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey
I have had a very similar result this week. i had a Gamma GT of 123. I als had around 50% depleted neutrophiles level (white blood cells) what can cause this? I tried to see a link online but there wasnt any. My doctors a real dinosaur and couldnt hear what I was asking him - so wasnt any help (im registering somewhere else on monday)

The difference is, I do drink - bur im almost certain my drinking habits would nto justify this high level of Gamma GT. I tend to drink around once a week (not this week due to this result) and I do get quite drunk. Could it be possible that when i had the blood test it was artificially high due to the liver detoxifying what Id had on the weekend?

I have another blood test in 3 weeks, and i will not drink in the meantime and go back and see if there is a change.

Also, what could cause depleted neutrophiles. I am prone to Urinary tract infection, and im thinking whether the low blood cell is causing this prones, or the UTIs themselves are causing depleted neutrophiles? My biochemistry is limited , so maybe someone could help with this one.

Thanks all.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

oh, thought I would add: im 22 non smoker male. I am a paraplegic (due to road accident) I consider myself of just slightly above average weight, and visit the gym around 1-2 times per week. I probably eat around average, some healthy food, some bad. The proness to urinary tract infection is due to the fact I must catheterise periodiclly to empty my bladder, and its inevitable that a bug will enter the bladder at some point (i have around 2-3 infections per year) I have a slight feeling that recently I may have had some kidney infection as the symptoms did suggest - could this cause the results I posted above?

(im like a rolling health problem - and probably cost the NHS a fortune)
mark_gg_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:01   #6
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_gg_daniels View Post
Hey
I have had a very similar result this week. i had a Gamma GT of 123. I als had around 50% depleted neutrophiles level (white blood cells) what can cause this? I tried to see a link online but there wasnt any. My doctors a real dinosaur and couldnt hear what I was asking him - so wasnt any help (im registering somewhere else on monday)

The difference is, I do drink - bur im almost certain my drinking habits would nto justify this high level of Gamma GT. I tend to drink around once a week (not this week due to this result) and I do get quite drunk. Could it be possible that when i had the blood test it was artificially high due to the liver detoxifying what Id had on the weekend?

I have another blood test in 3 weeks, and i will not drink in the meantime and go back and see if there is a change.

Also, what could cause depleted neutrophiles. I am prone to Urinary tract infection, and im thinking whether the low blood cell is causing this prones, or the UTIs themselves are causing depleted neutrophiles? My biochemistry is limited , so maybe someone could help with this one.

Thanks all.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

oh, thought I would add: im 22 non smoker male. I am a paraplegic (due to road accident) I consider myself of just slightly above average weight, and visit the gym around 1-2 times per week. I probably eat around average, some healthy food, some bad. The proness to urinary tract infection is due to the fact I must catheterise periodiclly to empty my bladder, and its inevitable that a bug will enter the bladder at some point (i have around 2-3 infections per year) I have a slight feeling that recently I may have had some kidney infection as the symptoms did suggest - could this cause the results I posted above?

(im like a rolling health problem - and probably cost the NHS a fortune)
I think the best advice I can give you is to go back to your GP and discuss your concerns with him. Some of the older GPs are less used to the "expert patients" and tend not to explain things as fully as this kind of patient would like.
Also, one shouldn't look at biochemistry in isolation without considering history and clinical examination etc. As you are also paraplegic then this complications things even further as various organs may be denervated and the neutropenia may or may not be due to a current infection......

It's best not to speculate though. I know the internet may seem tempting to broaden one's knowledge but you also need an understanding of how to interpret this knowledge as well. In the first couple of years of medical school several of us had convinced ourselves that we had various syndromes and illnesses. A headache was no longer a headache.....it was an aneurysm or meningitis etc...
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 00:56   #7
mark_gg_daniels
Inactive

mark_gg_daniels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

Had repeat test and it just got worse. I also had a low level of Platelets, and a sedimentation rate (didnt catch it as was on the screen)

Doctor said he wants to still sit on it and wait 8 weeks. I am not fully convinced and am considering going to a new GP for another opinion

---------- Post added at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:28 ----------

Ok i can provide some more details

Neotrophils are low (believe half)
PLatelets - Low
Neutrophils - Low
erythrocyte sedimentation rate - High (normal 1-10, mine 11)
Gamma GT - 123 (normal 0-55)

im starting to get worried as the first 3 keep bringing me to Leukemia, something my aunt died off. They also suggest infection which is also a possibility, and I hope this is what it is as i am prone to them

Not sure where Gamma GT comes into the equation, the doctor thinks it is probably my drinking (which I still think is not that much, but I do drink a lot on the occasions i do drink) - also apparently alcohol can cause a drop in platelets,

I hope its as simple as this, as I dont fancy having cancer frankly.
mark_gg_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 12:48   #8
Placidly
Inactive

Placidly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff View Post
I had blood tests taken last week and was called into the doctors this week to be told that my cholestrol is slightly higher than normal 6.1, but what worries me the most is I was told that the level of Gamma-Glutamyl Transferase (GGT or "Gamma GT") in my liver are at 120, normal levels are around the 60 mark.

It worries me because high levels are normally seen in people who drink alcohol - I read a post from a alcoholic (not on here) saying that his GGT levels are at 119 and he's been a alcoholic for the past 10 years.

Basically, what I'd like to know is what (other than alcohol) can cause such high GGT levels?

I dont think my doctor believes me when I tell him I don't drink.
I have just came back from the doctors having received a letter to do so. I had my LFTs checked a couple of weeks ago and my Gamma GT was 315 with a couple of the other markers raised, I had the tests repeated and the other markers are now normal but my GGT is 211 the labs normal is 55. I rarely drink alcohol and the only other medication I take is Serequel. I attended the liver clinic a couple of years ago and they said I may have a fatty liver but this was just through a process of elimination but my GP was to test me annually, last year they were fine.
Placidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 16:05   #9
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Just a laymans opinion, but has it occurred to you that you may be turning into the Hulk?

Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 16:34   #10
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

i lol'd
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 23:46   #11
sillyboy
Inactive

sillyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Pain Killers and high gamma levels.
I have had blood test over last 2 months, my first gamma was 271, after 6 weeks it has dropped to 156,my cholesterol is slightly high-the bad one at 3.7.I was a heavey drinker 25-30 yearsd ago and got alcahol and liver poisening, so stopped for nearly 25 years.Last 15 months I have been drinking,irregularly but 1'3-1'2 small bottle rum when I do. The second test was after virtually no drinking-still occasional, so although it has dropped, its still not good.
I do take strong painkillers after near fatal accident in 1985 and I think it is that which is causing liver damage. Any one have experience of this, or with same high level and been told what prog is?
sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:08   #12
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyboy View Post
Pain Killers and high gamma levels.
I have had blood test over last 2 months, my first gamma was 271, after 6 weeks it has dropped to 156,my cholesterol is slightly high-the bad one at 3.7.I was a heavey drinker 25-30 yearsd ago and got alcahol and liver poisening, so stopped for nearly 25 years.Last 15 months I have been drinking,irregularly but 1'3-1'2 small bottle rum when I do. The second test was after virtually no drinking-still occasional, so although it has dropped, its still not good.
I do take strong painkillers after near fatal accident in 1985 and I think it is that which is causing liver damage. Any one have experience of this, or with same high level and been told what prog is?

I'm the same as you I have high gamma levels due to the painkillers I take for a back injury. My last gamma check was just under 100 which I consider high because I don't drink. The Doctor said that it was down to the painkillers.
Old 26-06-2009, 17:39   #13
sillyboy
Inactive

sillyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info,I take Df118,Tegratol(carbamazpin),occasional Co=prox-tho obviuosly not for last 6 weeks since run out,also Diazapan as relaxent at nite. Does your pain kileer list include these? Neil
sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 22:29   #14
gingerbroughton
Inactive

gingerbroughton is an unknown quantity at this point

My Gamma Gt levels have been as high as 1280,I also have raised ESR, ALP and ALT.I have polycystic liver and kidney disease,fibromyalgia and I have previously had Cancer.Doctors have not given me any treatment for Gamma GT I have just had results of Blood Test and my GGT has gone down to 79 which i am very pleased about.The reason for this post is to let people know that results can return to near normal without intervention so try not to worry.I have never Drunk so figures are not due to alcohol consumption
gingerbroughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 14:13   #15
Eyewash
Inactive

Eyewash is an unknown quantity at this point

Raised Gamma GT - a complete mystery. Just completed my tri-annual health check and level running at 108. Three years ago it reached 152 and I had a scan which really didn't show anything amiss so didn't take any further action apart from improving my diet and taking a bit more exercise. My alcohol intake is half that recommended, ie virtually zero and I have no indication of anything wrong at all. My weight is spot on for my age (64) although my cholesterol level is raised. Off to the doc's in a couple of weeks to see if there's anything I can do but don't hold out much hope - not much real interest there - probably recommend another scan as the easy option.
And here's the really weird thing - my wife has an even higher GGT level than me and has had for years. Guess what, she doesn't drink at all, no medication and good heathy diet.
What's it all about?
Eyewash is offline   Reply With Quote