Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | belkin router and NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

belkin router and NTL

Old 11-08-2005, 03:26   #1
baxxy
Inactive

baxxy is an unknown quantity at this point
belkin router and NTL

Hi, i finally got ntl to set up today on my laptop.
I now want to connect the ntl modem to my new belkin wirelsss router so i can use it elsewhere in the house.

But it appears i don't have the required leads to do the job!!!!

I think i have to connect a lead from the back of the modem into the adsl socket of the router, but they both use different connectoins at each end....

Am i missing a trick here or do i have to go out and buy another filter/splitter or something to get this router to work?

Sureley other users here have used the belkin router with ntl, can they please advice how they conncted the ADSL line.

Thanks
baxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2005, 05:28   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: belkin router and NTL

you need a cable router... an adsl router will not work, because the "uplink" socket is rj11 (adsl size) rather than rj45 (ethernet) which is required for connecting to a cable modem.

The only way that you could get this to work is if you could disable the built in adsl modem and there is an ethernet uplink port....
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:49   #3
baxxy
Inactive

baxxy is an unknown quantity at this point

so you mean i have just spent £80 on a piece of junk?

I need a wireless router to share the broadband around the house and thought the belkin was a good choice, i was sure i have seen people mention using belkin equipment before on this board.

I'm not happy if i have to take it back as i'm not sure where i have put the receipt....
baxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:27   #4
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

well there is a difference between adsl and a cable modem router, maybe you should have asked when buying it if it would work with the cable modem

manufacturers make different products to suit markets, there are adsl routers and also cable modem routers, people are using belkin wireless routers but the cable version not adsl version

you wont be able to use it witha cable modem so you will have to take it back
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote