Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
View Poll Results: TiVo BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
Yes 38 61.29%
No 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2012, 10:35   #61
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Mainly there will be a lot more of them
Ok that I understand, are you saying Virgins kit (ie V+) cannot cope with it. I am guessing that other sources do not have the problem ?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01   #62
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

They can cope - but only if Virgin add the other screens as actual channels on the platform which also needs to cope

For TiVo the app just needs to talk to a BBC server somewhere
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26   #63
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
So, as common sense suggests, it is merely technical limitations - and not a conspiracy to get everyone on a Tivo - as to why this stuff can't be done on the older boxes. Who'da thunk it? (Except maybe those with common sense and not something against VM!)
Plus BBC would not have allowed withholding of its service if the only reason for the withholding was the subscription level paid by the VM customer!
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31   #64
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Sky are prepared to go the extra mile for all their customers to watch all the streams from the BBC. I do hope that VM will see that it would be in their interest to do the same. From the many discussions on here I have been told that there is plenty of bandwidth available on the VM network to enable them to do it. Lets wait and see.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:52   #65
jenzo
Inactive

Services: XL tv Tivo, V+HD, Phone E & WK & 60meg BB.
jenzo is on a distinguished roadjenzo is on a distinguished road

Masters starts tomorrow. Sky have full 4 day coverage. BBC starts on Sat but the Red button has Amen Corner. Dont have Sky sports, have Tivo, don't have Red Button = very poor from Virgin Media.

Still underwhelmed with my Tivo Service.
jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03   #66
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzo View Post
Masters starts tomorrow. Sky have full 4 day coverage. BBC starts on Sat but the Red button has Amen Corner. Dont have Sky sports, have Tivo, don't have Red Button = very poor from Virgin Media.

Still underwhelmed with my Tivo Service.
Yes its absolutely pathetic that we still won't have The Masters Sky red button coverage on our boxes.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40   #67
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
They can cope - but only if Virgin add the other screens as actual channels on the platform which also needs to cope

For TiVo the app just needs to talk to a BBC server somewhere
Sorry Ben I am not following this.
During the Tennis(and for that matter pro 12 rugby) the BBC red button on Freeview & my V+ offers a choice of screens. Are you saying ( no offense) that this is different. I must add here that this is more curiosity than any interest in the Olympics. As I intend to be out of the country for the whole time it is on !!
Old 04-04-2012, 13:16   #68
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Most BBC Red Button events have no more than 4 alternative screens, so Virgin will have the option of these already to go whenever they are required. For the Olympics this is going to be up to 24 screens, which means Virgin have to plan and add extra screens that the V boxes can recieve.
Old 04-04-2012, 13:27   #69
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Most BBC Red Button events have no more than 4 alternative screens, so Virgin will have the option of these already to go whenever they are required. For the Olympics this is going to be up to 24 screens, which means Virgin have to plan and add extra screens that the V boxes can recieve.
Thank you, if I am honest I have to say that I thought the screens were the BBC`s choice so to speak, that`s because freeview & V+ always seemed to match. just wish I could get Red button on S4C ( As SKY have that as well !!)
Old 04-04-2012, 14:48   #70
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Media boys blog has suggetsed VM haven't actually struck a deal for all the 24/48 streams??? This can't be right, i thought it was a done deal.

PLUS can anyone i.e SPIDERPLANT give us a clue as to IF Virgin Media will give us the opportunity of recording the streams
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:56   #71
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Media boys blog has suggetsed VM haven't actually struck a deal for all the 24/48 streams??? This can't be right, i thought it was a done deal.
At the risk of repeating myself ( whom am I kidding - do I care)
Track & record
Old 04-04-2012, 15:24   #72
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:

PLUS can anyone i.e SPIDERPLANT give us a clue as to IF Virgin Media will give us the opportunity of recording the streams
It will be a done deal for TiVo - because that's the original and only way how the BBC were going to do it

Because Sky have stumped up the cash the BBC will now also run them as broadcast streams on satellite - which as the BBC can't do exclusive deals Virgin should then also have an option to carry them
Old 04-04-2012, 15:29   #73
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It will be a done deal for TiVo - because that's the original and only way how the BBC were going to do it

Because Sky have stumped up the cash the BBC will now also run them as broadcast streams on satellite - which as the BBC can't do exclusive deals Virgin should then also have an option to carry them
Will Broadcast did say:

Quote:
The channels are being made available on a non-exclusive basis throughout this summer’s Olympics, with Sky the first to announce it is part of the agreement.

Freesat is also creating 24 HD channels for the streams. But although conversations are taking place with other providers, it is understood that other parties such as Virgin are yet to ink a deal.
http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...-olympics.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:33   #74
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Thanks Ben. I presume, though, as VM themselves (or as was talked about on here) visualised the Olympic streams to be more App orientated rather than red button streamed or as individually channel streamed it will still be an App application rather than what Sky is doing?!??!?!

The trouble is now Sky viewers can record individual "streams" VM viewers will want to do the same. As i can't see VM adding 24/48 new channels how hard would it be to write software which allows us to record each Olympic App stream?
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:37   #75
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Thanks Ben. I presume, though, as VM themselves (or as was talked about on here) visualised the Olympic streams to be more App orientated rather than red button streamed or as individually channel streamed it will still be an App application rather than what Sky is doing?!??!?!
It wasn't VM, it was the BBC. Their whole original plan was that the streams were to be on connected devices only i.e. delivered over broadband, not linear channels.

Quote:
The trouble is now Sky viewers can record individual "streams" VM viewers will want to do the same. As i can't see VM adding 24/48 new channels how hard would it be to write software which allows us to record each Olympic App stream?
Considering the channel announcement is new, we don't yet know what VM will do

As for writing an app. The recording tuners on TiVo aren't designed to pick up video via the broadband connection as far as I know, because there is no need. So they can't see the output, wouldn't have a channel to tune to or have EPG timings