Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
View Poll Results: TiVo BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
Yes 38 61.29%
No 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 20:41   #46
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
How about waiting for facts?
Not a chance. Wild speculation is so much easier and quicker
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2012, 20:42   #47
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Surely TiVo customers would much rather all 24 linear channels launch on their platform too.
I know I would.
Old 03-04-2012, 20:43   #48
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I know I would.
l will second that prof.
Old 03-04-2012, 20:43   #49
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But the problems is Ben that Virgin instead of leading always seem to be a hundred yards behind with regards to announcements ...
Who really gives a damn about who announces what first. As long as it happens they can announce it the day before, for all I care.

That said, of course an early announcement might stop some people getting Freesat in. But perhaps there's a good reason for not announcing right now. Like the deal isn't finalised or something. Of course, if they did announce now and then couldn't make the deal (or whatever) you'd soon be berating them for not delivering on promises. So they can't keep you happy either way, can they?!
Old 03-04-2012, 21:14   #50
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
But the problems is Ben that Virgin instead of leading always seem to be a hundred yards behind with regards to announcements and they need to get their fingers out and lead the race instead of trailing with the stragglers all the time.
That's the issue which keeps coming up time and time again. VM always drags its heals when it comes to linear TV rather than leading the way and this is another excellent example of this.

They should understand that not everyone wants Tivo (regardless of the price) or on demand. Many people just like to sit in front of their TV and select a programme of interest by scrolling up and down the channels.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Freeview will be offering the exact same content as Virgin customers who are on M+, L and XL without TiVo however Virgin customers, as we stand just now, will be paying a subscription to access the material where as Freeview is completely free to view.

For me Virgin are trying to push TiVo onto their customers way too hard.
That's purely speculation. I know I said that in a previous posting but I was merely speculating as to what non Tivo customers might get.

I do agree that VM are trying overly to persuade their customers to get Tivo, and pay the costs which come with it, which shouldn't come as a massive surprise. They will see one way of doing this is to provide content which is only available if you have Tivo, or to put it another way, deprive content to those who will not pay for Tivo. The 24-stream Olympics coverage could well be the first major example of this. It's very possible that in the near future VM may start to provide new on demand content and future new linear channels only to Tivo customers and/or may start to remove existing channels and on demand content for those who haven't upgraded to Tivo. All speculation I know but remember that the chief executive did suggest that he wants every single customer to have Tivo in a few years time so they've got to find ways to make this happen.

It's worth recalling how Sky managed to get its entire customer base to scrap analogue and get digital in just a few short years. They did two things. One was to make it almost free to upgrade (IIRC you just paid for installation) and the other was to slowly run down the analogue service by removing channels from Sky analogue a few at a time. It worked for Sky so why wouldn't it work for VM regarding getting everyone using Tivo?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:22   #51
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Who really gives a damn about who announces what first. As long as it happens they can announce it the day before, for all I care.

That said, of course an early announcement might stop some people getting Freesat in. But perhaps there's a good reason for not announcing right now. Like the deal isn't finalised or something. Of course, if they did announce now and then couldn't make the deal (or whatever) you'd soon be berating them for not delivering on promises. So they can't keep you happy either way, can they?!
Its always very nice to read your eloquent posts carl but the trouble with Virgin is their communication is rubbish and making promises is all very easy but it is the deliverance of those promises that customers want and not the coming soon words in which we have grown accustomed to.
Old 03-04-2012, 21:28   #52
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
It's worth recalling how Sky managed to get its entire customer base to scrap analogue and get digital in just a few short years. They did two things. One was to make it almost free to upgrade (IIRC you just paid for installation) and the other was to slowly run down the analogue service by removing channels from Sky analogue a few at a time. It worked for Sky so why wouldn't it work for VM regarding getting everyone using Tivo?
Very true. The only difference will be Virgin have more competition now than SKY had back in the analogue days. What will current non-TiVo Virgin customers find more appealing as virgin try to squeeze them onto TiVo? A new PVR from Virgin or an ever growing HD and SD channel line-up from SKY including innovative ways to watch programming at home and on the go. You've also got YouView just around the corner and Freesat due to offer Iplayer, ITV Player, 4 OD and 5 On Demand.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:47   #53
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
But the problems is Ben that Virgin instead of leading always seem to be a hundred yards behind with regards to announcements and they need to get their fingers out and lead the race instead of trailing with the stragglers all the time.
Agreed. ipad app Lovefilm/netflix app, multiroom streaming and now this. They should have realised how important an issue this was and been prepared to anounce full plans on the same day as the BBC; Sky obviously knew the importance of this.

And if VM don't produce recordable streams when Sky and Freesat do, then VM have seriously lost the plot.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:00   #54
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

To get back on topic "BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?" I've got to say it needs to be a massive yes on the back of the announcement from SKY and Freesat. Imagine if the BBC Red Button doesn't launch in time.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:18   #55
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Its always very nice to read your eloquent posts carl but the trouble with Virgin is their communication is rubbish and making promises is all very easy but it is the deliverance of those promises that customers want and not the coming soon words in which we have grown accustomed to.
Which completely ignores the second paragraph you quoted.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15   #56
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Just a thought, If this is going to be via the BBC red button & as I read it it will be.
Why would it not work on The V+ red BBC button ? which shows the things I want added to the mythical TiVo BBC red button?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42   #57
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Just a thought, If this is going to be via the BBC red button & as I read it it will be.
Why would it not work on The V+ red BBC button ? which shows the things I want added to the mythical TiVo BBC red button?
BBC Red Button on TiVo will be able to access internet streams the same way the other video apps on TiVo do in addition to the hidden linear channels.

BBC Red Button on the V box can only access VoD or linear channels, so Virgin have specifically add them for it to work
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08   #58
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

So, as common sense suggests, it is merely technical limitations - and not a conspiracy to get everyone on a Tivo - as to why this stuff can't be done on the older boxes. Who'da thunk it? (Except maybe those with common sense and not something against VM!)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:14   #59
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Can some please explain ( This is NOT a dig) the difference between the multi-screen that my V+ has on the BBC red button ( think Wimbledon as a case in point or the Red zone from BBC Wales Sport ) & the screens to be offered for the Olympics?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26   #60
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Can some please explain ( This is NOT a dig) the difference between the multi-screen that my V+ has on the BBC red button ( think Wimbledon as a case in point or the Red zone from BBC Wales Sport ) & the screens to be offered for the Olympics?
Mainly there will be a lot more of them