Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Old 20-05-2012, 15:00   #121
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You could ask for a Superhub and use it in modem mode. Since you already have a wireless router it would make sense to utilise it.
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2012, 17:47   #122
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcilwraith View Post
Hi

Yes i have been doubled up (area 24 AL10 Hatfield) from 10Mbs to 20Mbs.

BUT i was getting a solid 9.9 Mbs before, but now i get about 15-16 Mbs. I thought i would get closer to 20 Mbs. They are offering us the super hub for £20 if we have problems. Should i try the super hub? Currently have the blue ntl 250 modem and an Apple Airport Express wireless router. Any advice?? I have heard bad things about the super hub wireless ability.
tbh the shub is rubbish and there is only 1 reason why you would want/need one:

Your ntl 250 modem can handle 20mbit no probs and the only reason why you would get less than that is congestion on the channels you are using. I think your modem can only use 2 downstream channels if I remember correctly. The shub can use a max of 8 channels to load balance across so if for example the 2 channels you are currently using are congested, it will use the free juice on another channel allowing you to achieve full speed. Now that being said, it isnt neccessarily going to happen. VM enable a certain number of bonded channels by area and by tier and even most of the 100mbit users are only using 5 or 6 channels and I have seen 30mbit users on 3 channels so at most you can hope for 1 extra channel on the shub atm (so you will be load balancing across 3 channels). But as Tesco's says: every little helps
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:57   #123
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I think your modem can only use 2 downstream channels if I remember correctly
As far as I know the Ambit 250 uses 1 channel. Tis only the VMNG300 and SuperHub that can use more than one channel
Old 21-05-2012, 10:08   #124
mcilwraith
Inactive

Services: TV M, TiVo, BB 30Mb, Phone L
mcilwraith is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

So would anyone actually recommend the SuperHub? Will it easily replace my ntl 250 and airport express? Or is the wireless so bad i will end up using my old wireless router? Sometimes you only see the negative stuff on these forums regarding the super hub. Anyone actually like it? And will i get 20Mb/s (as now) or 30Mb/s due to the super hub? Thanks!!
mcilwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 11:14   #125
lightboy
Inactive

Services: Sky HD World Virgin 150MB
lightboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Derby now available
lightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 14:21   #126
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

So would anyone actually recommend the SuperHub? Will it easily replace my ntl 250 and airport express? Or is the wireless so bad i will end up using my old wireless router? Sometimes you only see the negative stuff on these forums regarding the super hub. Anyone actually like it? And will i get 20Mb/s (as now) or 30Mb/s due to the super hub? Thanks!!
You can ask anyone and they'll tell you i moan my ass off about the shub all the time and it is only in extreme circumstances that i would ever recommend anyone using it. This is one of those times which i thought would never come Honestly though, you'll be a million times better off with the shub and far more likely to get your speed. Each channel runs at 55mbit so you only need yourself and 2 other peeps on the line trying to pull 20mbit each and you are screwed. You'll probably only use 2 or 3 channels on the shub but it is better than 1.

Now this is the big BUT. Whilst i am saying the shub is good for you as a modem, it is flipping pants as a router and i would never recommend anyone using it as a router in a zillion years. By all means ring up for one and use it in modem mode and continue to use you current router.
Old 21-05-2012, 14:28   #127
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
tbh the shub is rubbish and there is only 1 reason why you would want/need one:

Your ntl 250 modem can handle 20mbit no probs and the only reason why you would get less than that is congestion on the channels you are using. I think your modem can only use 2 downstream channels if I remember correctly. The shub can use a max of 8 channels to load balance across so if for example the 2 channels you are currently using are congested, it will use the free juice on another channel allowing you to achieve full speed. Now that being said, it isnt neccessarily going to happen. VM enable a certain number of bonded channels by area and by tier and even most of the 100mbit users are only using 5 or 6 channels and I have seen 30mbit users on 3 channels so at most you can hope for 1 extra channel on the shub atm (so you will be load balancing across 3 channels). But as Tesco's says: every little helps
Quote:
Each channel runs at 55mbit so you only need yourself and 2 other peeps on the line trying to pull 20mbit each and you are screwed. You'll probably only use 2 or 3 channels on the shub but it is better than 1.
Everyone regardless of whether they are on 30Mb or 100Mb uses every DOCSIS 3 channel available in their local area.

There are no areas with 3 downstream channels now, upgrade to 4 was a prerequisite of 100Mb release and is a bare minimum for areas which have received their automatic downstream upgrade.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 14:35   #128
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

My area was semi upgraded the weekend.
I have the 60Mbps download but still stuck on the 3Mbps upload :/

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 14:40   #129
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Welcome back to the world of one-way internet.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:08   #130
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hi

Yes i have been doubled up (area 24 AL10 Hatfield) from 10Mbs to 20Mbs.

BUT i was getting a solid 9.9 Mbs before, but now i get about 15-16 Mbs. I thought i would get closer to 20 Mbs. They are offering us the super hub for £20 if we have problems. Should i try the super hub? Currently have the blue ntl 250 modem and an Apple Airport Express wireless router. Any advice?? I have heard bad things about the super hub wireless ability.
I had terrible trouble with a shub I went from 10 to 30 meg but it was continually locking up running extremely slow and a complete pain so I reverted back to my old modem and 10 meg, don't touch it with a bargepole.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:12   #131
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
I had terrible trouble with a shub I went from 10 to 30 meg but it was continually locking up running extremely slow and a complete pain so I reverted back to my old modem and 10 meg, don't touch it with a bargepole.
before or after the firmware update?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:23   #132
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Before
Old 21-05-2012, 17:42   #133
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

and still you say 'don't touch it with a bargepole.' ?

theres modem mode if the combo mode fails to meet requirements.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 18:00   #134
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Everyone regardless of whether they are on 30Mb or 100Mb uses every DOCSIS 3 channel available in their local area
I always thought that made sense and wondered why they didnt do it. I thought they enabled so many channels by tier because I have seen a few 30mbit users on 3 channels.
Old 21-05-2012, 18:07   #135
banjo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
and still you say 'don't touch it with a bargepole.' ?

theres modem mode if the combo mode fails to meet requirements.
I have an opinion I gave it to the person who asked the question , and I still say don't touch it with a bargepole !