Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin settings, slow speeds.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin settings, slow speeds.

Old 22-07-2008, 09:54   #1
Ricksta7
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Virgin Media BB
Ricksta7 is on a distinguished roadRicksta7 is on a distinguished road
Belkin settings, slow speeds.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me, I have very slow speeds when connecting through my router Belkin F5D7231-4, not the normal slightly slow (expected from Wireless, but I am on 2meg and get about 200kbps...killer bits. When I plug the modem direct into the PC the speed is the full 2MB (Or almost) Please can someone advise me if there is any settings I can change?

Many Thanks.

P.S I have another for the Virgin side of things here.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ds-page-3.html

Note.. I have tried resetting router / modem, checked firmware and it is all upto date, changed every channel and tried a speed test on all of these, unplugged wirless things in the house, tried all things to do with the ethernet port itself TC/IP etc.

Any help would very much appreciated.
Ricksta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-07-2008, 22:15   #2
chris190
Inactive

chris190 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Belkin settings, slow speeds.

I have a belkin F5D7230-4 and I'm on a 4meg connection and i can get over 4 megs through my connection to my laptop sitting downstairs. I haven't updated the firmware on it. The performance I'm getting is straight out the box so maybe its the router. I found out today too that by unchecking the wan ping box increases speed a little and security too so I'm gonna check that out now. Sorry if this hasn't helped much but internet speeds vary at different times of the day too.
chris190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 00:13   #3
Ricksta7
Inactive

Thanks for you're reply Chris190... I have tried speed tests all times of day, I had the WAN Pinging unchecked also and nothing, I agree, I am thinking it will be the router, Do you think if I got a new router from PC World or somewhere they would take it back if it has been opend :P
Old 23-07-2008, 17:01   #4
chris190
Inactive

I think maybe if you can prove that the router is faulty, they may change it for you or maybe give you your money back. Tell them your suspicions and ask them for advice or maybe an exchange if your not satisfied. I have also found that different internet speed checkers produce different results.

http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/speedtest/

This is the site i like to use
Old 23-07-2008, 20:50   #5
Ricksta7
Inactive

Thanks again Chris, I have just went and got a new brand new Router installed it all fine and the exact same problem I have phoned Virgin again and they are posting me a new modem (do they do this? Or would a Tech come?) They told me it will be posted within 7 days??

Virgin MediaDownload: 0.27Mb
Virgin Media average: 4.83MbUpload: 0.07Mb
Virgin Media average: 0.42Mb
Upload: 0.07Mb
Virgin Media average: 0.42Mb

^^^^^^^^^^

There is the results I got, shocking isnt it... I have tried everything now, different PC's, Laptops (all with the same problem) PC was hard wired aswell, but through router.

I don't think anyone can fix this to be honest.. If no one on here can help then im stuffed haha! A change to O2 Broadband it is methinks.
Old 23-07-2008, 20:59   #6
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

What replacement router did you get?
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 21:08   #7
Ricksta7
Inactive

Hi Dragon I got Belkin again but differnt model... Belkin N someting or other.. I will get the number if you require this, but it was the same as my Bro in law's, and he has the same modem / package and everthing and when I done a speedtest on his computer, It was amazing compared to mine lol.
Old 23-07-2008, 21:12   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksta7 View Post
Hi Dragon I got Belkin again but differnt model... Belkin N someting or other.. I will get the number if you require this, but it was the same as my Bro in law's, and he has the same modem / package and everthing and when I done a speedtest on his computer, It was amazing compared to mine lol.
How odd then

Have you tried replacing the cable between the router and the modem?
I've seen a bad cable cause poor transfer rates
Old 23-07-2008, 21:14   #9
Ricksta7
Inactive

to be honest.. this is possibley the only thing I have not tried... I will be back in 2 seconds and let you know the results Thanks again for trying.
Old 23-07-2008, 21:18   #10
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
to be honest.. this is possibley the only thing I have not tried... I will be back in 2 seconds and let you know the results Thanks again for trying.
Ok let us know how it goes, only reason I was thinking of it was because you say the router works fine elsewhere and a faulty cable would cause a number of errors/retransmits which of course would bring the speed down.
Old 23-07-2008, 21:20   #11
Ricksta7
Inactive

Same deal Dragon Would I need to reset modem / router?

Heres a laugh for you

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

crazy eh?
Old 23-07-2008, 21:24   #12
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Same deal Dragon

Heres a laugh for you

crazy eh?
Well you have me stumped then
If you've tried a new router and you know that model works fine with VM then i can't really suggest why it's not working.
Old 23-07-2008, 21:26   #13
Ricksta7
Inactive

I know, it has me and everyone I know stumped aswell lol. So annoying though. Thanks again though and if you have any mates on here who are really good aswell like you point them in my direction haha.
Old 24-07-2008, 00:43   #14
chris190
Inactive

what modem you got? I got a motorola surfboard 5100. My connection is due to go up to 10Mb soon and apparently my modem is capable of delivering those speeds so it may be your modem. A tech guy may come check out the problems you're having or so I would have thought anyway
Old 24-07-2008, 08:06   #15
Ricksta7
Inactive

I thought a Tech would come aswell? But I alaways seem to get through to Tech Support outside the UK lol, and they told me like I say, they are sending me one in the post within 7 days.