Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Old 22-05-2012, 18:23   #136
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Areas already upgraded (2012 double speed upgrades)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I always thought that made sense and wondered why they didnt do it. I thought they enabled so many channels by tier because I have seen a few 30mbit users on 3 channels.
There were 50Mb users on those same 3 channels. Part of the upgrades for 100Mb was making at least 4 channels available.

The messages telling the modems which downstream channels to connect to arrive at the modem before the tier becomes relevant.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2012, 13:39   #137
mcilwraith
Inactive

Services: TV M, TiVo, BB 30Mb, Phone L
mcilwraith is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
tbh the shub is rubbish and there is only 1 reason why you would want/need one:

Your ntl 250 modem can handle 20mbit no probs and the only reason why you would get less than that is congestion on the channels you are using. I think your modem can only use 2 downstream channels if I remember correctly. The shub can use a max of 8 channels to load balance across so if for example the 2 channels you are currently using are congested, it will use the free juice on another channel allowing you to achieve full speed. Now that being said, it isnt neccessarily going to happen. VM enable a certain number of bonded channels by area and by tier and even most of the 100mbit users are only using 5 or 6 channels and I have seen 30mbit users on 3 channels so at most you can hope for 1 extra channel on the shub atm (so you will be load balancing across 3 channels). But as Tesco's says: every little helps
Well, I got my SuperHub (£20) and installed it myself (easy). So far using the SuperHub as the modem and wireless router and its a solid 30Mb all the way. Very happy with it so far! Wireless signal strength is even better than my Apple Airport Express which is/was a great piece of kit. So my speed has increased from 10Mb to 30Mb and i have replaced my ancient modem and router with a shiny new SuperHub. One happy camper.
mcilwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 05:26   #138
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

Got my upgrade when I turned the PC on this morning, in Scunthorpe.
nemesis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 09:30   #139
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

My father power cycled the electrical power on the house last Saturday and I ended up upgraded.

Original Speed: 30Mbit
Upgraded Speed: 60Mbit

Upload still 3Mbit

UBR/Headend: brom8-2-0

Now, when we got a new bundle a couple of months back we were told we'd get 60Mbit whenever it became available so whether this is classed as an early upgrade I don't know.

FWIW we are still on only 4 downstreams.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 09:53   #140
freeviewer
Inactive

freeviewer is an unknown quantity at this point

CO4 Upgradad thanks
Shame getting email is not easy sometimes :{
This message appears (Server error
We are unable to process your request at this time, please try again later.)
freeviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:28   #141
olisun
cf.member

olisun is on a distinguished roadolisun is on a distinguished road

How long does it take from the increase in the no of DS channels to the upload speed increase?

My area is due for speed upgrades between April and July and I have got the DS speed upgrade.
olisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 11:36   #142
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Upstream increase schedule hasn't been detailed yet
Old 29-06-2012, 15:53   #143
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I am on the bottom tier now which is now of course 30mbit.

VM have been trying to call me 8 times in the past 3 days, I then answered the 9th call. They were basically saying I was getting bumped to 60meg for free soon and of course the inevitable sales pitch then came through trying to make me buy more services, told them I was busy and ended the call as I think cold calling is lame, especially to your own paying customers.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 16:17   #144
Mauldor
Inactive

Services: 50mbit, Base TV, Base Phone
Mauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis01 View Post
Got my upgrade when I turned the PC on this morning, in Scunthorpe.
Odd - I am in the same area and not been upgraded as of yet..
Mauldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 17:23   #145
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I am on the bottom tier now which is now of course 30mbit.
That will be XL and the second tier or you wouldn't be getting the 60Mbps.

The troublesome thing is that anybody can do what I did - upgrade from L 10Mbps to XL and you get 60Mbps regardless of whether the area is getting its general doubling or not - my area doubling is shown as Oct 2011 - Jul 2012 yet the double speed packages are up for sale now. Of course I had to splash out to get that - a whole £2.50 a month extra
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 19:10   #146
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
That will be XL and the second tier or you wouldn't be getting the 60Mbps.
Actually, as we established in another thread, he's on L 30

Quote:
The troublesome thing is that anybody can do what I did - upgrade from L 10Mbps to XL and you get 60Mbps regardless of whether the area is getting its general doubling or not - my area doubling is shown as Oct 2011 - Jul 2012 yet the double speed packages are up for sale now. Of course I had to splash out to get that - a whole £2.50 a month extra
Yes they can, because doing the odd upgrade or connection onto 60Mbit is a world of difference to upgrading everyone in an area on XL 20 and XL 30 to 60Mbit
Old 30-06-2012, 20:15   #147
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

yes I am on L 30 or the bottom tier as I call it, so quite what the cold caller was offering not sure but I was busy so had to end the call.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 21:09   #148
Lynchy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V.I.P + 50mb
Lynchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Blackpool upgraded on the 27th
Lynchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 21:49   #149
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes they can, because doing the odd upgrade or connection onto 60Mbit is a world of difference to upgrading everyone in an area on XL 20 and XL 30 to 60Mbit
True enough but it's such a good deal I'm surprised that there isn't a huge takeup - well it's a good deal so long as congestion doesn't ruin things. Right now mine looks to be excellent.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 17:03   #150
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

stkp8 Stockport upgraded (my area anyway)
ancient dlink router failing and needs replacing (it can't handle it, it's too old!)
Speeding along at 18.8Mb anyways.
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote