Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'scvhost.exe' = virus?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'scvhost.exe' = virus?

Old 10-02-2006, 00:41   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
'scvhost.exe' = virus?

Is scvhost.exe a virus, I have several of the running, and no AV s/w has detected it, (AVG, Trend, Norton).

if so how do I delete it.
Old 10-02-2006, 00:42   #2
zing_deleted

Re: 'scvhost.exe' = virus?

svchost is present in windows.I dunno if theres a virus that creates one why do you think that it has?
Old 10-02-2006, 00:45   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I was looking in windows task manager (processes) and this file is running about 6 times under different User names.
A search on google is saying this is a trojan.
Old 10-02-2006, 00:46   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Hmm, I have 7 of them running at the moment - some as user name "system" some as "network service, and one as "local service"

And I thought avast was current. time for a scan with Panda me thinks.

NB moving to Virus & Security
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:47   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

this from google
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...vhost%2Eexe%27

not a happy bunny
Old 10-02-2006, 00:47   #6
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
Is scvhost.exe a virus, I have several of the running, and no AV s/w has detected it, (AVG, Trend, Norton).

if so how do I delete it.
Simple answer, no its not, its a windows process, sometimes a virus may take on the name, google brings up loads of links.

Heres one

BTW I have 5 running

EDIT, must type faster ...lol
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:49   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

done a file search cannot find it??

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

it doesn't help when google says w32 virus, that can clog memory.
Old 10-02-2006, 00:51   #8
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Looks from the links posted above that SCV could be a trojan, but the similar named SVC is a Windows Process, like bopdude says
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:57   #9
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
done a file search cannot find it??

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

it doesn't help when google says w32 virus, that can clog memory.
This link says that it could be the W32.Blaster virus, what if any symptoms are you having, google fo a removal tool and run it, just in case.

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:54 ----------

This link tells you how to determine what each instance of svchost is, and what service its linked to, if any, also gives a link for removal via a d/l link.

HTH
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:00   #10
zing_deleted

If it was the blaster worm and you dont have a fire wall your system will restart after a minutes warning once it finds the internet.The early blaster32 simply say in start up and you could disable it but a firewall should block it

Is the files you have found svc or scv?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I think I had better go to bed I miss typed I should have typed 'SVCHOST.EXE'. and not 'SCVHOST.EXE'.

I would double check if I was anybody reading this, a simple mistake.

---------- Post added at 01:08 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm

that does say about a SVC virus
Old 10-02-2006, 01:12   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I'm contemplating yet another award after reading this thread.

Summat along the lines of checking facts before posting in the virus section and frightening the boojums out of simple folk.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to word it?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:25   #13
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
I think I had better go to bed I miss typed I should have typed 'SVCHOST.EXE'. and not 'SCVHOST.EXE'.

I would double check if I was anybody reading this, a simple mistake.

---------- Post added at 01:08 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm

that does say about a SVC virus
You're right, but it's a simple typo that's made me more aware when checking task manager processes and scanning for these nasty trojans, dunno about anyone else!
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

svchost = service host. A generic process that Windows uses to handle certain processes within the operating system. You can in theory have as many svchosts running as are needed by Windows to handle all the processes requiring it.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/...brary/svchost/
As others have said though, be very careful what you type into Google when investigating these things as a slip of even one letter could be the difference between a nice happy windows system and a system you just knackered up by deleting a very much needed process
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:02   #15
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

If you mean svchost.exe then check this link

http://www.processlibrary.com/direct...host/index.php

If you mean scvhost.exe then check this link

http://www.processlibrary.com/direct...host/index.php
bayonet is offline   Reply With Quote