Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin USB adapter won't install

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin USB adapter won't install

Old 18-11-2005, 21:27   #1
Minbu
Inactive

Services: VM TV & BB, BT phone
Minbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to all
Belkin USB adapter won't install

Am using a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router into an NTL cable modem. Two PCs are connected by cable and running fine. Have tried to install a Belkin F5D7050 wireless USB network adapter and have followed the instructions to the letter.

When the installation has completed, a Wireless Monitor icon appears on the desktop. Clicking on this should cause a small icon to appear in the system tray. However as soon as the desktop icon appears, the small icon appears next to the 'Start' button (bottom left) and not the system tray. An error message appears, 'WLanCfg.6.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

This message keeps reappearing every few seconds. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software and performed a system restore to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Minbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2005, 21:30   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Belkin USB adapter won't install

Have you installed the software before connecting the kit, this can be affected if you add the hardware before you install the software.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2005, 21:34   #3
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

try downloding the latest driver/install program from the belkin website
http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=

driver date is 6/15/2004 so i'd check the cd for a version number
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2005, 22:05   #4
Minbu
Inactive

Minbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to all

My daughter has just made a confession! It was her PC that the adapter was for and as she didn't have the patience to wait for me to get round to installing it, decided to do it herself. She said it installed fine and she was able to connect via it. However, every 15 minutes or so, the connection dropped so, looking through the manual, she decided to change the channel to see if she could get a better signal. The icon in the system tray then disappeared and nothing she did would restore it. Not knowing what to do, she uninstalled the software and left it for me to do. Like a lemon, unaware of what she'd done, I confidently attempted to install the thing until hitting said problem. I suppose the adapter is now locked somehow.
Old 19-11-2005, 08:00   #5
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Minbu,

which version of Windows is your daughters pc? If its XP with Service Pack 2 then your lucky if not call Belkin Tech.

This is roughly the thing you should do if you got XP on that machine:

F5D7050 if you click this link it'll tell you how to fix it in most cases.

This is a problem I've seen and heard before and after 2 times a re-install it was fine.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2005, 20:52   #6
Minbu
Inactive

Cheers levig.

Yes it's Windows XP with SP2. Will try your suggestion this weekend. Fingers crossed.

BTW what will be lost by not having the Belkin utility installed?
Old 20-11-2005, 07:59   #7
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

nothing really, the only thing that you lose is the belkin utility where you can see the link status and stuff like that, but other then that you dont lose anything that I can think off other then a massive headache everytime the Wlancfgg.exe error comes up.

btw if this doesnt fix it call belkin
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2005, 21:50   #8
Minbu
Inactive

Well, I carried out the suggestion provided in the link and after fiddling around with the WPA stuff managed to get it to work. Windows still says there's no network available although the connection is running. Daughter thinks I'm a genius!
Thanks for the help guys. Now whether the thing will work tomorrow....