Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | USB Wireless Adapter/Dongle - Advice?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

USB Wireless Adapter/Dongle - Advice?

Old 16-09-2005, 19:48   #1
mchu6am4
Inactive

Services: Freeview & Dialup
mchu6am4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question USB Wireless Adapter/Dongle - Advice?

Hi,

I'd like to buy a usb wifi dongle to use on my laptop for broadband and would like some advice on the following item I'm thinking of purchasing:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/produ...oductID=269709

I'm concerned about the indoor 'range' of the dongle. I live in an old 3bed terrace house. The router is on ground floor (front room) and the laptop upstairs in the bedroom.

Price for this dongle is about £12 when its on special offer (which is when I intend to buy)

Thanks in advance, Ash
mchu6am4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2005, 19:53   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: USB Wireless Adapter/Dongle - Advice?

At that price it seems to me to be worht a try. I know I paid a whole lot more for the more traditional connector PCMIA card for my lappy.

As you say transmission range and power may prove to be the issue. It claims to be OK, but you won't know until you try it.

Compatibility with wireless security protocols is important. I wonder if it is that lack of feature that make it so much cheaper than other cards.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 19:58   #3
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

have to say that this looks alright...does all the current security modes WEP and WPA-PSK so I think with this adapter you should be sorted out okay.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 23:41   #4
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

what is best pci or usb for wirless??
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 23:42   #5
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

PCI akane. its less resource drain on your system, but USB is okay as well but not as fast
Old 17-09-2005, 09:51   #6
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
PCI akane. its less resource drain on your system, but USB is okay as well but not as fast
yeah whats better for range and performance though. like a particular model?
Old 17-09-2005, 10:04   #7
DocDutch
argh

thats for you to find out Akane, I've got a belkin in mine and no problems with range at all but the way your going to use it you need something with a big antenna on it so it wont lose signal and perhaps improve your ping a bit
Old 17-09-2005, 15:54   #8
akane1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
thats for you to find out Akane, I've got a belkin in mine and no problems with range at all but the way your going to use it you need something with a big antenna on it so it wont lose signal and perhaps improve your ping a bit
sorry to be pain, what kinda pci or usb would you recommend for room to room with good range and antenna please.
Old 17-09-2005, 16:52   #9
DocDutch
argh

look on Ebuyer akane. you can find most there, I cant really recommend any for what you want to do tho mate.