Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | multiple web access

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

multiple web access

Old 05-08-2005, 22:00   #1
simong
Inactive

simong is an unknown quantity at this point
Question multiple web access

Installed NTL BB via CM, no probelm. Now want a second and third pc to access web. Configured it it gey ip via dhcp, but did not get ip. Tried manual config of ip, no good. My network was working fine, but now othe pcs will not "talk" to the oneconnected to web.

Do I need to run the set up CD on the others? Where is the DHCP sever? I had assumed this was the new modem but i guess i'm wrong!

Thanks in advance
simong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2005, 22:16   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: multiple web access

Can you access the net via the router on the original PC?

And your DHCP will be the router not ntl's or the modem.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 00:08   #3
chambece
Inactive

chambece is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to chambece

Have you got a router or a new modem with a 4-port switch built in?

You will need a router rather than a new modem.

What equipment have you got?
chambece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 00:13   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to Computers & IT

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 19:02   #5
simong
Inactive

OK..I have a cable modem supplied by ntl attached to the main computer via a 10/100 switch. Other pcs are connected to network via same 10/100 switch. I have no router. I had hoped that I could give web access to the other pcs by having them on the same subnet and configuring the default gateway to that provided by dhcp to the main pc. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-08-2005, 19:09   #6
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

'fraid you can't attach more than one PC via a switch - you need a router.
Old 09-08-2005, 19:43   #7
simong
Inactive

Can I use any router with an ntl cable modem?

cheers
Old 09-08-2005, 19:53   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Yes, any router, provided it doesn't have a built in ADSL modem.

Recommendations here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 15:23   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Set up is very easy once you have a router.
Your NTL modem plugs into the routers Internet port and then all your machines connect to the router.
Always turn on the modem, wait for the lights to settle, and then turn on the router.
Linksys routers come with an easy set guide and you dont even need to use the set up CD.
Good luck.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 20:39   #10
simong
Inactive

Many thanks....I'll get a router