Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why does my PC pick up two networks?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Why does my PC pick up two networks?

Old 14-07-2009, 19:36   #1
Wallace
cf.addict

Services: VM 200M
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Why does my PC pick up two networks?

I purchased a new D-Link DIR-825 as my old router "packed-up" last Friday.

The new router works well. I can connect to the net OK and my internal network is good too.

I have a networked printer, Slug (used to connect to my Topfield PVR) and a desktop PC connected via Ethernet cable and a laptop connected via WiFi.

Both desktop and laptop use Vista Home Premium 32bit.

On the desktop if I hover my mouse over the network icon on the task bar it shows that I am connected to two networks, my named network and also an "unidentified network". However, when I do the same with the laptop, it simply shows a single network and that is the correct one.

If I disable the "unidentified network" I loose the connection to the net completely. Both show the same IP address and I only have one NIC enabled in my PC.

Where is it coming from?

I have reset my router to factory defaults and set it up again. I have tried using a static IP address but it's still there.

As everything is working OK I am happy to leave it but I simply cannot understand where it is coming from. Especially since it does not show on the laptop.

Very strange, or at least, it is to me.

Thanks.

edit: Apologies to the MODS. Just realised I should have posted this in the Networking Forum. Feel free to move.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2009, 20:28   #2
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all
Re: Why does my PC pick up two networks?

Now that's odd. I have one as well and I'd always assumed it's a VMware virtual device, however if I disable it VMware still works as usual. In fact if I disable it my Internet connection still works as well.

I shall investigate further!

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote