Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | trying to connect 2 pcs via Netgear EN104 hub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

trying to connect 2 pcs via Netgear EN104 hub

Old 06-12-2007, 14:44   #1
loony
Inactive

loony is an unknown quantity at this point
trying to connect 2 pcs via Netgear EN104 hub

Hi all,

I am trying to connect 2 pcs via a Netgear EN104 hub which is then connected to the cable modem. One pc is working fine and will connect to the internet, but the other one seems to have problems with DHCP or IP...

I have done ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew, then it tells me it has timed out and is unable to connect to the DHCP server. Have tried turning off the XP firewall, no change. Can ping 127.0.0.1 and I get a response, so I guess the connection to the hub is working fine...just no internet!!

I haven't tried turning the hub on and off yet, as I don't want to lose the internet connection on the first pc (as then I can't read this forum!)...or will I be safe to try this?

Can anyone enlighten me? Is it actually possible to connect 2 pc's to NTL/Virgin? (we are a previous NTL customer, now Virgin Media) or am I on a losing streak here??

Many thanks all
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2007, 14:57   #2
Dark Fiber
Inactive

Services: (xNTL) VMDG480mm
Dark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really nice
Re: trying to connect 2 pcs via Netgear EN104 hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
Can anyone enlighten me? Is it actually possible to connect 2 pc's to NTL/Virgin? ... or am I on a losing streak here??
Yes, but not through a hub. You need a "gateway router" to provide network address translation to enable two or more computers to use the single IP address provided through VM. These are usually sold as "cable/DSL routers".
Dark Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 15:31   #3
loony
Inactive

thats a pain, i have an ADSL modem router (Netgear DG834 i think) but i understand thats not compatible with Cable technology...

can i use the internet sharing protocol through using this hub?
Old 06-12-2007, 15:46   #4
rtj70
Inactive

rtj70 is on a distinguished roadrtj70 is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind both PCs needing to be on, the other option is to get another network card for one PC so you can share the internet connection (using the hub) with the other PC.

With routers being so cheap now I'd go with that option - I originally paid over £150 for a wireless one years ago and now the equivalent router from the same company is only about £40.
rtj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 15:47   #5
Dark Fiber
Inactive

Services: (xNTL) VMDG480mm
Dark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
can i use the internet sharing protocol th[r?]ough using this hub?
You can use internet sharing from a primary computer to other computers through a hub. I have done so, but not with Windows
Dark Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 15:49   #6
loony
Inactive

thanks folks, your help is much appreciated
Old 06-12-2007, 16:19   #7
rtj70
Inactive

rtj70 is on a distinguished roadrtj70 is on a distinguished road

"can i use the internet sharing protocol through using this hub?"

There's not an Internet sharing protocol. You can have one PC act as a gateway/router by using Windows Internet Sharing. Basically one network card would connect to the cable modem and have a real IP address. The other interface and the other PC connected to the hub would have private IP addresses which are not visible to the Internet.

Security wise you're better off having the PCs behind a Network Address Translation firewall/router. But still have firewalls enabled or your PCs will be infected very quickly.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Because of location I use Microdirect a lot (have since well before they had a web service) and have since around 1997 when they were "smaller". Their online facility is about 1.5 miles (maybe less) from me.

Anyway if you wanted to risk something "cheap" then... EDIT... it is sold out at present:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(17455)...ess-Cable.aspx

I'd go for something like a Linksys, Dlink, etc. i.e. a name I recognise. But the reviews suggest this works fine. And at £18.80 is dirt cheap!

Rob
rtj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 12:07   #8
grippo
Inactive

grippo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

I think i have a similar issue.

I have just moved flats and previously used my Netgear EN104 4-ports 10Mbps Ethernet Hub Router with my Eclipse Modem. we had 2 PCs and this worked fine. i simply plugged in and everything was ok.

In my new flat, that has the same PC (My one) and my new flatmates PC which is new to this router, we are using Virgin Media broadband so have the standard virgin modem.

My flatemate has been using the internet fine now for about 2 weeks, going through the router.

I have only just got an ethernet cable that will reach and tried pluggin it in last night. My PC will not connect and states it has limited internet connection. not being too technical minded i simply clicked on the repair button but it says it cannot renew my IP address.

I tried everything such as resetting modem/router PC etc but still no joy.

I dont have a clue where to start with this.

Also tried my Xbox but failed the 2nd test which is something to do with the IP address.

I seem to remember, when a student, one of my mates who studied some sort of IT degree, logging onto the modem or router and doing something with IP addresses. do i need to do a similar thing?

Can anyone help me. i only have the internet at work and its been 3 weeks now without it on my PC at home. getting a bit tired of no internet.
grippo is offline   Reply With Quote