Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Trouble with Virgin and Netgear WGT624v3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Trouble with Virgin and Netgear WGT624v3

Old 25-04-2008, 22:06   #1
masonator
Inactive

masonator is an unknown quantity at this point
Trouble with Virgin and Netgear WGT624v3

Ahoy,

If anyone can help me with the following I would be very much obliged:

I have a Virgin media connection which works fine when run straight through the modem into a pc. I bought a Netgear WGT624v3 router to share the connection wirelessly with another computer using a Belkin network adaptor. This is where the problems start...

If I wirelessly connect on the second PC, the connection almost always slows to a crawl on both computers. If I disconnect the wireless computer by changing the WEP key (so it can't log on), the connection is restored to its former glory.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this should happen? Please tell me if additional info would be useful. I read somewhere that WEP isn't great. Could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance
masonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2008, 14:56   #2
Cognoscenti
Inactive

Cognoscenti is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trouble with Virgin and Netgear WGT624v3

Im having the same problem plus disconnections with virgin and Wireless.
Cognoscenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 18:33   #3
Watching You
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV + Broadband & Telephone
Watching You has a spectacular aura about themWatching You has a spectacular aura about themWatching You has a spectacular aura about themWatching You has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Trouble with Virgin and Netgear WGT624v3

masonator

I am confused as to why you are having these problems because I am also using the Netgear WGT 624 for around four years now without any such problems myself and I am running three computers from mine.

As your first port of call, you contact the Netgear helpline and get them to talk you through your set up. When I first brought mine, this out of the box and up & running in minutes talk is nonsense. My brother had a friend who was supposed to be a wireless set-up expert have a look at our set up but to be honest he was more of a waste of time. In the end we resolved the problem by reducing the encryption from 64 bits to 32, which I know is less secure but at the same time I had disabled the SSID so it is hidden and then allowed only logged mac addresses to access the network.

I suggest you keep calling the helpline until your problem is resolved.
Watching You is offline   Reply With Quote