Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | new graphics card giving me grief

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

new graphics card giving me grief

Old 25-08-2006, 08:30   #1
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
new graphics card giving me grief

Morning all,

couple of days ago my missus' graph card died (ati 9200) so I bought a new Sapphire ati 9550. During the gap that the missus didnt have her computer to use I plugged in my X800XT.

Now what is happening is when I installed the new card yesterday I had massive problems with installing the drivers, windows did recognise the card properly and installed it but instantly the computer locked up, and had a couple of times a No display error on my monitor. What I done then was boot it in safe mode and uninstalled the ati drivers that were still on there, rebooted the machine, and installed the driver from the cd.

During the new install of the drivers I had an error coming which was on the box it said SEVERE no display adapters where found, the install of Hydravision went alright, checked device manager and the card was there as well, but in display manager there wasnt a mention of the 9550.

Rebooted machine again got to the login page and then it just hangs, rebooted again to safe mode redone the drivers, rebooted then managed to login again checked display properties and the card wasnt there :S

Details of machine:

MSI 6734 mobo
AMD XP 3000+
Sapp. ATI 9550
2x 1gb pc2700
xp home SP2 and all updates.

any1 got any ideas other then wacking in the wicked XP cd and reinstall the whole thing, as at the moment I'm kinda lost with it.
DocDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2006, 09:05   #2
homealone

Re: new graphics card giving me grief

ATI drivers have historically been difficult to uninstall/re-install - the trick is to make sure all references to them are deleted from the system files & registry, before re-installing

you could try following the advice given here

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/569/...nup/index.html

- also, use the latest ATI Catalyst drivers, rather than any which XP attempts to install.

- good luck
Old 25-08-2006, 09:08   #3
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

cheers for that home but I already had the ATI 6.8 drivers installed (should've mentioned that) and still I didnt have any display adapters....
Old 25-08-2006, 09:10   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Have you run the catalyst remover tool to completely clear out all ATI drivers?

Link here...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 09:19   #5
zing_deleted

whats worrying me here is you say the monitor said no display .This normally wouldnt be drivers.
As said uninstall all reference to ati from your machine then extract the driver exe to a folder instead of allowing it to install it defaults to c:/ati.
Then install the via hyperion drivers from here
Reboot pc
It will find new drivers point the search to ati folder and driver will install. Then reboot again and if all ok browse to folder and install control centre etc.

Note did you realise you have onboard sis gfx on that board if the number you gave was correct
Old 25-08-2006, 09:20   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

As above, run the tool to totally remove the drivers, reboot and start in safe mode, check your system properties device manager for any mention of graphic adaptors, delete the install folder for the old drivers and then reboot and try again.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 09:29   #7
DocDutch
argh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
*snip*
Note did you realise you have onboard sis gfx on that board if the number you gave was correct
well am not at home so couldnt check it but am 99.9% sure that it doesnt have built in graphics...

and thanx Zing I'll try the hyperion.
Old 30-08-2006, 20:07   #8
DocDutch
argh

Zing, tried that hyperion and as soon as I try to run setup.exe it gives a runtime error 1500.

the Mobo is a MS-6734 but checked the bios totally and cant find a reference to the S3 Graphics there.

now booted in safemode and deleted all references to ati, ran the unistaller via add/remove programs, then ran EasyCleaner over it and made sure that there werent any leftovers, rebooted the machine and it just locks up now on windows login.
Old 30-08-2006, 21:41   #9
zing_deleted

ok try and get into safe mode and do a system restore
Old 30-08-2006, 21:51   #10
DocDutch
argh

Zing, done that already, ran the cat-uninstaller, easycleaner and rebooted machine.

tried installing the ati driver again and below is the error that I get during the install.

I've just backed up all the info that the missus needs so might just reinstall the bstrd now.
Old 30-08-2006, 21:52   #11
zing_deleted

ok is that the newest driver version? if so try an older one. Failing that try and force the install from device manager
Old 30-08-2006, 21:57   #12
DocDutch
argh

thats on 6.8...I just forced it myself to do something and "crossing me fingers and everything else that I can cross" its looking alright I pray.

1 thing thats annoying me is that I had to change the speed to *4 instead of *8 in the bios.

and zing if this works I think that I owe you a beer or something

argh it did it again....freeze and die.

ps the pc is a time machine from 2 years ago...stupid stupid stupid me I know.
Old 30-08-2006, 21:59   #13
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
Zing, done that already, ran the cat-uninstaller, easycleaner and rebooted machine.

tried installing the ati driver again and below is the error that I get during the install.

I've just backed up all the info that the missus needs so might just reinstall the bstrd now.
I have the exact same error on my mates Abit R9550 GURU. It still went through with the driver install, but crshed his machine.

I rebooted, and all was well :S So, i'm sorry to say, i know whats gone wrong, but not how to remedy it!

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
thats on 6.8...I just forced it myself to do something and "crossing me fingers and everything else that I can cross" its looking alright I pray.

1 thing thats annoying me is that I had to change the speed to *4 instead of *8 in the bios.

and zing if this works I think that I owe you a beer or something
There's honestly not much difference between x4 and x8 in that card, it can't use all the bandwidth given to it by an x4 lane, nevermind an x8 lane.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 22:04   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

If you keep having problems please try Driver Cleaner Pro to get rid of all traces of drivers.

Quote:
1. Remove ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs
2. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
3. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
4. Navigate to device manager->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot
5. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
6. Run Driver Cleaner
7. Empty recycle bin and reboot
8. Install the new drivers and control panel
Old 30-08-2006, 22:05   #15
zing_deleted

Try an older driver go to top end of 5