Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Passion of the Christ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Passion of the Christ

Old 03-03-2004, 20:44   #1
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era
The Passion of the Christ

The new film "The Passion of the Christ" starring and directed by Mel Gibson is due for release on the 25th Feb. A fella I know says that its got English subtitles. Is he correct ? I dont mind it having subtitles, it will probably be a better film for it but is he right?
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2004, 20:48   #2
Kneebs
Inactive

Kneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Kneebs
Re: The Passion of the Christ

Yep, the film is ineed in greek, hebrew, and aramaic, with english subs
Kneebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 20:53   #3
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneebs
Thank you
Old 03-03-2004, 21:05   #4
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I'm actually quite looking forward to this although I don't think it's going to be all that good.....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 21:17   #5
blackthorn
cf.geek

Its got a very mixed reaction in America according to this report http://nypost.com/movies/18807.htm
Old 03-03-2004, 21:22   #6
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

I don't doubt it. Films of a religious nature often bomb at the box office. It may do well but had Gibson not put his name to it, I wonder if we'd be discussing this right now...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 03-03-2004, 22:08   #7
Kneebs
Inactive

Kneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Kneebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
I don't doubt it. Films of a religious nature often bomb at the box office. It may do well but had Gibson not put his name to it, I wonder if we'd be discussing this right now...
I think it wouldve done quite well in the states, mainly (only ?) in the bible belt, however i very much doubt it would do anything over here

EDIT - I've seen a 'dodgy' copy of it, well, only really watched the scenes where he's getting whipped, lashed, and crucified - which lasts about 30 minutes !! It's quite graphic..
Kneebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 22:13   #8
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

The guardian has compiled some useful hebrew phrases for the film

Alot of people in America seem to be viewing the film as anti-semitic...
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 22:20   #9
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneebs
Latin (and church Latin at that, not your genuine first century AD Latin) rather than Greek. However, the criticism has been made that many of the soldiers were just as likely to have been Greek speakers as Latin speakers.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 22:22   #10
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
However, even with Gibson's name attached, it only really took off when all the furore about alleged antisemitism began.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 23:31   #11
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve

#1 The movie is doing GREAT. $125 million + in the first week.

#2 There is no antisemitism in the movie.

#3 The people bleating about antisemitism is Hollywood, the liberals, and the Christian haters. Oddly enough, majority of Jews don't consider it antisemitic, and the organizations that bitch most about the movie's so-called antisemitism ain't even Jewish...

#4 The Jerusalem Post gave it an excellent review.

#5 The Jewish club at my school gave it thumbs up.

#6 Mel Gibson doesn't even mention that the Sanhedrin or the commoners are Jews. He mentions that Jesus is a Jew.

#7 History is history. There is no way to change what happened.

#8 I saw the movie, and it is very, very violent. But, it is a very, very touching movie and it did make me think about what Jesus has done for me.
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 23:35   #12
Jerrek
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn
The new film "The Passion of the Christ" starring and directed by Mel Gibson is due for release on the 25th Feb.
Hehe, today is already March 3...
Old 03-03-2004, 23:54   #13
Flubflow
Inactive

Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal

I listened to a radio interview with Mel Gibson's Dad and, well what can I say except that he is one hell of a jew hater (the usual stuff including denying the holocaust etc). The interviewer was a jew from a U.S. radio station but Gibson's father didn't know (and the interviewer was not about to tell him after Gibson snr. started his rant).
After that some people are now wondering if Mel did this movie for his biggoted father.
Flubflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 22:58   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Well I've just been to see it and I have never ever seen such a moving, upsetting film. I cried my way through it and it's been a long time since a film had that effect on me.

Seeing as (most of) you guys allow me to get on with my Christianity, I've kind of made an unspoken agreement to not preach on this site but I am so upset over what I've just seen that on this occasion I'm going to break that agreement without apology.

Please please go and see it. Christianity is more than just the film but I urge everyone to look in to finding out more. If you are undecided or refuse to believe, you have nothing to lose other than a small amount of your time. But compare that to what you could gain.

The film....well you won't be entertained. You will feel sickened, upset, saddened. I don't think it's anti-semitic at all. I'm not going to go out and abuse some Jewish people over what their ancsestors did.

Watch this film clean up at next year's Oscars.

Can't wait for the sequel

And for the believers, the best bit of the film is right at the end.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 31-03-2004, 00:39   #15
Jerrek
Inactive

Quote:
Watch this film clean up at next year's Oscars.
I really doubt that, sadly. Hollywood is run by those very hostile to Christianity.