Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How Video On Demand Works (long and technical!)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

How Video On Demand Works (long and technical!)

Old 12-01-2005, 10:31   #16
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
Re: How Video On Demand Works (long and technical!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
Would it be possible to supply the normal digital channels using the same method as VOD but without the pause, rewind, etc. that VOD has? That is just transmitting the live pictures from the selected channel to your TV.
Yes, it's known as Broadcast On Demand (BOD). See here for a presentation. (Although that's not about cable, the same principle applies).

"There goes Bod..."
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2005, 13:38   #17
Hom3r
All true..Except the lies

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1TB Tivo, 1 V+ Box, 1 V Box, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 4, 2TB & 3 TB WD NAS, Smart Home stuff, & Cudd
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Forgive my if I'm being stupid but to rewind/pause VOD doesn't the STB use a hard drive in it recording the last 30 mins or so??

My Blog
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 14:02   #18
bob_builder
Inactive

Services: ntl digital basepack ntl 1M broadband
bob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
Forgive my if I'm being stupid but to rewind/pause VOD doesn't the STB use a hard drive in it recording the last 30 mins or so??
No, it just requests that video stream is rewound or paused and requests the play is started again from the point when play is pressed in much the same way as a Real Video stream works on the internet.

What you are thinking about is a PVR, which records live TV broadcasts on a hard drive.
bob_builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 15:44   #19
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

I think some freeview boxes record the last 30 mins or seconds (cant remember which) into internal memory - perhaps that's what he's thinking of.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 16:43   #20
bob_builder
Inactive

bob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
I think some freeview boxes record the last 30 mins or seconds (cant remember which) into internal memory - perhaps that's what he's thinking of.
There are a number of Freeview PVRs available, some with dual-tuners like Sky+, from around £150 that offer "Pause Live TV" as an option. These work by buffering up to 30 minutes of video from the currently viewed channel.

They also offer the recording to hard drive feature of all PVRs. Hopefully, the new NTL PVRs will offer the same features when they are released at the end of the year.
Old 12-01-2005, 16:53   #21
wir3d
cf.member

wir3d is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder
No, it just requests that video stream is rewound or paused and requests the play is started again from the point when play is pressed in much the same way as a Real Video stream works on the internet.

What you are thinking about is a PVR, which records live TV broadcasts on a hard drive.
When a movie is loaded on to a VOD server for the first time, "trick-play" files are generated. One is just an MPEG of your movie being played fast-forward at 6-7x speed, and another is an MPEG of your movie going backwards. These files, and the main movie file, are all cross-indexed together with respect to time.

When you REW or FF, the server stops playing out the main movie, and switches to playing out the appropriate trick play file, from the appropriate index point.

This saves a huge amount of CPU load on the server, freeing up more capacity for normal playback: generating the FF/REW image on the fly is a fairly expensive process.
wir3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 17:20   #22
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
There are a number of Freeview PVRs available, some with dual-tuners like Sky+, from around £150 that offer "Pause Live TV" as an option. These work by buffering up to 30 minutes of video from the currently viewed channel.

They also offer the recording to hard drive feature of all PVRs. Hopefully, the new NTL PVRs will offer the same features when they are released at the end of the year.
no, I've actually seen a freeview box in a shop which isnt a PVR but which has a short 'pause' facility via a small in built buffer (unless it was labelled incorrectly in the shop!). perhaps that's what this bloke was thinking of.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 17:38   #23
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by wir3d
When a movie is loaded on to a VOD server for the first time, "trick-play" files are generated. One is just an MPEG of your movie being played fast-forward at 6-7x speed, and another is an MPEG of your movie going backwards. These files, and the main movie file, are all cross-indexed together with respect to time.

When you REW or FF, the server stops playing out the main movie, and switches to playing out the appropriate trick play file, from the appropriate index point.

This saves a huge amount of CPU load on the server, freeing up more capacity for normal playback: generating the FF/REW image on the fly is a fairly expensive process.
I was told about this after I posted the big long thing above. Decided not to include it as I couldn't think of a way to put it consisely, but you've done a grand job there
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 18:33   #24
bob_builder
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
no, I've actually seen a freeview box in a shop which isnt a PVR but which has a short 'pause' facility via a small in built buffer (unless it was labelled incorrectly in the shop!). perhaps that's what this bloke was thinking of.
Ah! I have not seen those myself, but I guess the technology is the same as the PVR just using a memory buffer rather than a hard drive. However, you would need a lot of memory to store 30 minutes of video so I guess it would be a smaller buffer period.
Old 12-01-2005, 20:34   #25
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

when is it being rolled out in bromley ?

how will we know we have got it ?

will it rearange my channel list ?
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 20:37   #26
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Don't know

Everything will be blue (again)

No

Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 20:55   #27
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

why that little smile at the end ?

im feeling nervous now
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 21:15   #28
russellelly
Inactive

russellelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ah! I have not seen those myself, but I guess the technology is the same as the PVR just using a memory buffer rather than a hard drive. However, you would need a lot of memory to store 30 minutes of video so I guess it would be a smaller buffer period.
The Fusion FRT101 has a 30 seconds channel buffer for rewinding live TV.

Thanks for the post Tristan, I had always wondered where all this bandwidth was coming from, obviously localistation is the key. Cunning
russellelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005, 20:03   #29
browneggsandham
I try to help.

Services: Virgin Media VIP - XL TV (V+ and Samsung 2100C), XL BB, XL Phone
browneggsandham is on a distinguished roadbrowneggsandham is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to browneggsandham

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974
why that little smile at the end ?

im feeling nervous now
He's just a friendly guy
browneggsandham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 13:00   #30
dd2k
Inactive

dd2k is on a distinguished roaddd2k is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dd2k

great post tristan. cheers
Any news on content for launch?
dd2k is offline   Reply With Quote