Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sipgate VoIP with Superhub SH2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Fibre to Coax transition

Old 21-01-2015, 15:33   #1
Dark Fiber
Inactive

Services: (xNTL) VMDG480mm
Dark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really nice
Fibre to Coax transition

I'm trying to get a feel for the structure of the Vm network at a local level. I live in a "village" population 17,500- will that sort of locale have a single fibre-optic feed and then be wired coaxially? Or will there be, say, ten fibre to coax nodes around the village?
I would be grateful to receive links to any online info or comments by Vm insiders.
Dark Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2015, 16:53   #2
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Fibre to Coax transition

Your signature says you've got VM service already. Are you asking how it gets to you?

I went round my "village" and mapped all the boxes. I looked also for the tall squarish boxes with 240v warnings (not the less tall cabinets with 240v warnings). My "village" is c. 12,000 population with 3 such tall squarish boxes. These are optical nodes to which fibre is run. It then goes coax to the launch cabinets (the not so large 240v cabs) which then cascade to the distribution cabinets which are usually 220m apart-ish.

The street cabinets then have tap points and a cable runs separately to each connected house.

If your area is fully covered by VM, then I'd expect there to be 5 optical nodes.

Does that answer your question? And do that nerdy research and let us know!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 17:08   #3
Dark Fiber
Inactive

Services: (xNTL) VMDG480mm
Dark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really nice

Thanks for that prompt reply. I have located my nearest launch cabinet (although hereabouts there are no 240V warnings- installed 2001 by NTL) but haven't yet located anything upstream of it. In nearby Oxford city there are large cabinets with fans blowing out hot air, are they fibre nodes?
Dark Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 17:14   #4
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Yes - the ones with fans are fibre nodes - usually.

I trudged my "village" street by street; first in Google Streetview and mapped it all. It gives you a great picture of how many homes are passed for each fibre node. It helps to have the electoral roll to hand so that you get a street house count.

Old 21-01-2015, 18:14   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

talk about dedication
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 19:26   #6
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

... and attached is the result of that dedication ....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winnersh Cabinets (Counting).pdf (76.0 KB, 44 views)

Old 21-01-2015, 20:32   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

you should send it to VM, I bet they haven't even got that level of detail You can do the whole country for them.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 20:54   #8
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
you should send it to VM, I bet they haven't even got that level of detail You can do the whole country for them.
Bet we have

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 21:18   #9
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I've seen the detail that VM keep. Proper CADs IIRC.

Old 21-01-2015, 21:21   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Yes - the ones with fans are fibre nodes - usually.

I trudged my "village" street by street; first in Google Streetview and mapped it all. It gives you a great picture of how many homes are passed for each fibre node. It helps to have the electoral roll to hand so that you get a street house count.
Are you sure about this map, Seph?

I suspect the 230v cabinets you call launch are actually optical nodes - as I understand it the nodes do the RF launch and the rest of the amplifiers in the cascade, which isn't many on the modern network, are line powered from a power supply at the nodal cabinet.

I'm not aware the MSANs, Metnet and P/SDH kit sit in the same cabinets as the HFC nodes. As I understand it they are separated in no small part because they are worked on by different teams and they require a higher level of protection and resiliency - you should never, ever see a telco or optical network cabinet open.

To add to the joy also the relationship between node and served area isn't necessarily 1:1 - depending on the node in use a single node can take 4 optical feeds, deliver 4 coaxial outputs and hence power 4 nodal areas from a single cabinet.

I would hope that no nodal area is more than 500 premises passed. Newer build is 250, and newer build still even fewer.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 21:42   #11
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
I've seen the detail that VM keep. Proper CADs IIRC.
Yep I use it everyday

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 22:34   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I went round my "village" and mapped all the boxes. And do that nerdy research and let us know!
I did the same for mobile transmitters in my city. Nerdy research is quite fun isn't it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 05:26   #13
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Are you sure about this map, Seph?

I suspect the 230v cabinets you call launch are actually optical nodes - as I understand it the nodes do the RF launch and the rest of the amplifiers in the cascade, which isn't many on the modern network, are line powered from a power supply at the nodal cabinet.
[SEPH]: I do have photos of one or two launch cabinets in my area. There is no optical equipment in them. See below

I'm not aware the MSANs, Metnet and P/SDH kit sit in the same cabinets as the HFC nodes. As I understand it they are separated in no small part because they are worked on by different teams and they require a higher level of protection and resiliency - you should never, ever see a telco or optical network cabinet open.
[SEPH]: In that case, the 230v cabinet I photographed wasn't an optical node! Incidentally you told me that before - the non mixing of telephone stuff and optical nodes. But I did get some first hand info as to their location from someone senior in the area.

To add to the joy also the relationship between node and served area isn't necessarily 1:1 - depending on the node in use a single node can take 4 optical feeds, deliver 4 coaxial outputs and hence power 4 nodal areas from a single cabinet.
[SEPH]: So how many optical nodes would you think Winnersh should have? I've nerded the area so often and the only boxes with fans and vents are the ones shown as M in the PDF.

I would hope that no nodal area is more than 500 premises passed. Newer build is 250, and newer build still even fewer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0372a.jpg (314.3 KB, 39 views)

Old 22-01-2015, 09:09   #14
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Huh. You learn something new about how the individual networks are built every day. Though I say that my exposure to networks was in a different area built on largely underground plant.

That looks like a bridge amp, big fat input and multiple outputs, along with a DC injector to power line extenders.

There's no need for nodes to be actively cooled or have vents. Those guys are meant to live on poles or whatever and should be good with passive, or no, cooling.

The only stuff that absolutely needs cooling is the MSANs along with any transport and core optical network that may be going through the area.

Again though it seems that the level of variation between build is pretty large.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote