Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 15:40   #1861
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The US is far bigger than the UK though, I think that this country is too small for them to survive.

I'm sure he will be aware of this, it's good to point it out though. Whilst the BBC are having to consider cuts eg BBC Three, this Government has frozen the licence fee. In addition they have effectively forced the BBC to provide fundin for S4C, The World Service, Local TV, The DSO help scheme, Broadband etc.

In the case of London Live, the Government has enabled funding for an extremely rich family to open their own TV channel. An outrageous waste of public money when essential services are being cut.
I don't think it's new money, though, Richard. Isn't this funded from the licence fee? The BBC were already wasting that, so it's a question of the pot being made to go further.

The fact that the channel is run by a rich family makes no difference. If anything, it could be better, because they may decide to put some of their own money into this if there is a likelihood of a return on investment.

I am not sure how the local channels are expecting to survive, but they could all put something into a pot for programming that would be available on all the local channels, which they would then supplement with local programming. That might be a cost effective way of growing an audience.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2014, 16:23   #1862
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

I am not sure how the local channels are expecting to survive, but they could all put something into a pot for programming that would be available on all the local channels, which they would then supplement with local programming. That might be a cost effective way of growing an audience.
Doesn't pooling programming for a group of local TV channels defeat the object of local channels?

The budgets and audience are not big enough to support these local channels, I'm expecting these to fail and die over the next couple of years and in the meantime they will will be full of mediocre content
Old 02-04-2014, 17:08   #1863
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't think it's new money, though, Richard. Isn't this funded from the licence fee? The BBC were already wasting that, so it's a question of the pot being made to go further.

The fact that the channel is run by a rich family makes no difference. If anything, it could be better, because they may decide to put some of their own money into this if there is a likelihood of a return on investment.

Whatever ones views on how efficiently the BBC is run, the fact remains that public money is being used to subsidise a TV channel opened by a rich family at a time of austerity.

They were free to open a TV channel previous to this, subject to securing capacity, like anyone else.
Old 02-04-2014, 19:23   #1864
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Media News: CSC Media buy new Music Channel.

I have just found out that Starz TV is now own by CSC Media but have axe BuzMuzik due to BuzMuzik having 'a similar format' as Starz TV.

CSC will soon relaunch True Entertainment +1 on Sky using BuzMuzik's space.

Info from: My old Sky Box, Digital Spy Forum.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 02-04-2014, 21:25   #1865
JustaBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Doesn't pooling programming for a group of local TV channels defeat the object of local channels?

The budgets and audience are not big enough to support these local channels, I'm expecting these to fail and die over the next couple of years and in the meantime they will will be full of mediocre content
I have a distinct feeling of Jeja Vu here. It reminds me of the launch of local radio in the 80s. They all eventually got absorbed by groups who would these days be termed as national broadcasters.

As for why it's happening. Another motive is that there is a desire for people to re-engage in politics. The thinking is that people first engage as youngsters in local issues. Today's councillor is tomorrow's waste of breath (I might have altered that slightly).

Old 03-04-2014, 13:34   #1866
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Whatever ones views on how efficiently the BBC is run, the fact remains that public money is being used to subsidise a TV channel opened by a rich family at a time of austerity.

They were free to open a TV channel previous to this, subject to securing capacity, like anyone else.
Well, on the first point, the Government is making this money available because it wants to see more local programming. The fact that they have been able to do this without using additional public money is a plus, surely.

As for the issue about rich people making use of that money to provide what is needed, I really don't see what the issue is. As long as they provide what the Government procures, what does it matter that it is a 'rich family' providing the service? Who else is going to do it? You need money to embark on ventures such as these.

In respect of the subsidy, nothing would have happened without it. This kick start might be all it needs to ensure a vibrant network of local channels. However, I do think that there is a high risk that most of these channels will fold because unless sufficient money is put into them on a consistent basis to ensure good journalism and access to programmes people actually want to watch, the limited audience will lead to limited income from advertising. That will result in rubbish programmes and BARB audience figures that are so small they don't register.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post

There is no reason at all why programmes cannot be pooled across the UK to support the local programming - that's what will bring in the money, I'd have thought.

If it's just boring stuff day and night, who on Earth is going to watch it?
Old 03-04-2014, 13:52   #1867
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Erm, it's owned and funded by the Lebdevevs, the family that own the Evening Standard......

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...aunch-31-march
Quote:
I don't think it's new money, though, Richard. Isn't this funded from the licence fee?
Understandably, I think we're all getting sidetracked from the question "Is public money being put into local TV?" The answer is yes regardless of whether it is old or new money or the wealth or poverty of the local TV franchise owners.

Returning to a previous point, YouView looks set to focus on-demand services which reinforces the direction Virgin Media is taking too. I hope VM is able to increase its range of on-demand providers as this could be a key strength for it.
https://community.youview.com/youvie...ups_investment
Old 03-04-2014, 16:37   #1868
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Heard a whisper that Nikleodeon could be bringing Teen nick to the uk on both Sky and Virgin. Only a rumour for now.
Old 03-04-2014, 17:10   #1869
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Old 03-04-2014, 17:14   #1870
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:

There is no reason at all why programmes cannot be pooled across the UK to support the local programming - that's what will bring in the money, I'd have thought.

If it's just boring stuff day and night, who on Earth is going to watch it?
The reason is there will no doubt be more and more pooled programmes and less and less local programmes as time goes on with financially unviable low viewing figures defeating the purpose of the so called local channels
Old 03-04-2014, 19:15   #1871
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Heard a whisper that Nikleodeon could be bringing Teen nick to the uk on both Sky and Virgin. Only a rumour for now.
Thanks for rumour.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

If you do not like Local TV - here some bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
GTV launches on June 2nd.

STV announces new Glasgow city TV channel will launch this June on Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media.

STV Glasgow will be on air every day from 12pm until 12am, with an entertaining mix of news and features with a live and interactive format that will encourage viewers to get involved.argest city. We want to celebrate everything that’s great about Glasgow and reflect what is happening in this truly unique city each day.

http://shows.stv.tv/talk-tv/269917-s...nch-this-june/

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Can I ask if all the Local TV talk move to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...-local-tv.html

And keep this thread for all things Virgin Media.

Thanks you Media Boy.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 03-04-2014, 21:58   #1872
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

SKY Sports boxing show Ringside, which is usually a SKY Sports exclusive, is on SKY 2 tomorrow night at 11pm, and repeated on Saturday morning at 9am. The show is also listed for next Friday and Saturday too. Good news if you like boxing but don't subscribe to SKY Sports. Not sure if it's a permanent feature however my SKY+ box, and parents V+ box allow a series link.
Old 04-04-2014, 00:25   #1873
undertakereddie
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB Including 2 Mini-boxes SKY as Pay As You Talk Sky Unlimited Broadband Fibre Max
undertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant futureundertakereddie has a brilliant future

Could Reality TV Show Big Brother Be Effected By The Sale of Channel 5? Rumour Has it That Channel 4 & ITV are Interested in The Show So Big Brother Could Be on The Move Again When Channel 5 is Sold. There is Only 2 Normal Series and 2 Celeb Series Left on Big Brother Until The Contract ends on Channel 5. BSKYB & Discovery are The Front Runners to Take over From Richard Desmond.
Old 04-04-2014, 00:25   #1874
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
SKY Sports boxing show Ringside, which is usually a SKY Sports exclusive, is on SKY 2 tomorrow night at 11pm, and repeated on Saturday morning at 9am. The show is also listed for next Friday and Saturday too. Good news if you like boxing but don't subscribe to SKY Sports. Not sure if it's a permanent feature however my SKY+ box, and parents V+ box allow a series link.
I think we'll see a few more sports get showcased on Sky1 or Sky2 from the Skysports channels tbh. It's Sky basically saying "look at what you're missing out on." lol.
Old 04-04-2014, 00:40   #1875
nicko
cf.addict

Services: 30 mb broadband & phone
nicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Isn't Boots an All on as well, the rugby league magazine?
Closed Thread