Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014
Closed Thread

Old 26-03-2014, 12:54   #1756
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Sorry Vince, why waste money (which subscribers foot the bill for in the end) on 'Tacky, Pointless, Stupid' channels?

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

I agree Den, but I think the real reason that VM are focusing on fast BB and streaming content being added to Tivo, is that streaming is the way all content will be delivered in the future. For many of us, the future is now and I believe the number who that applies to will grow sooner rather than later.

Yes, at this point in time, unless you have a large family who are all streaming different things, you don't need 100meg BB. But as streaming grows in popularity, 100meg for a family will not be out of order.

Also being able to advertise that you have the fastest BB is a great thing and will attract customers because even though many people may not need it, they want it anyway, even if it's just for 'Bragging Rights'.
I agree with all of this, spot on, Passingbat.

It might be wise for VM to help their subscribers to understand that their focus on broadband and streaming content will actually enhance the viewing experience for their TV customers. A lot of people seem to be getting the message that TV is not a priority or even a consideration for VM in the future, which is clearly not the case.

VM have done wonders in adding channels over this last year and I am very happy for them now to concentrate on streaming more content.
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2014, 12:54   #1757
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Old 26-03-2014, 12:56   #1758
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You missed the bit about company x wanting what company y has to offer. In your argument, both companies miss out. In my analogy, it's win-win.

In the real case of Sky v Virgin Media, if Sky won't give VM what they want, even if VM are making it conditional on putting Sky Bravo on the platform, then VM will get around that problem in a different way (in this case via streaming content, one presumes, minus the first run shows, which just means a relatively short delay).

But it is a very short sighted proposition to deny VM the ability to upload the older Sky Atlantic programmes (ie not the first run stuff) when VM can access them by other means, thus denying Sky the income. Utterly pointless, actually.
if sky was bothered they would have let others have it long time ago OB sky don't want anyone to have it that's the whole point
Old 26-03-2014, 12:58   #1759
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
if sky was bothered they would have let others have it long time ago OB sky don't want anyone to have it that's the whole point
I think you are talking about Sky Atlantic Dave. I'm talking about the very same content that is available elsewhere. However, I understand that you are not getting my point. Nuff said.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:02   #1760
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think you are talking about Sky Atlantic Dave. I'm talking about the very same content that is available elsewhere. However, I understand that you are not getting my point. Nuff said.
well all the missing channels OB they wont let anyone have them at all that's the point your missing and yes that includes SA
Old 26-03-2014, 13:05   #1761
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
well all the missing channels OB they wont let anyone have them at all that's the point your missing and yes that includes SA
You are still talking about channels, Dave. I'm talking about streaming content which is already available.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:07   #1762
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You are still talking about channels, Dave. I'm talking about streaming content which is already available.
yes and that cant happen without sky agreeing which they never do OB on the SA content
Old 26-03-2014, 13:15   #1763
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
that would be good news if it happens
I think it might happen mate as Sky are clearly starting to see the likes of BT,Netflix and Amazon as a real threat now.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Quote:
yes and that cant happen without sky agreeing which they never do OB on the SA content
Sky have no say whatsoever on the likes of Blinkbox and Amazon should they join Virgin Media. Allthough the HBO content via Blinkbox and Amazon would ofcourse be on a PPV basis but there is nothing stopping Amazon or Blinkbox turning around and saying "we're going to bring out a monthly pass system for our PPV content." such as say pay £10p/m and you can access the ppv content without any extra charge. Unlikely to happen but it could and Sky won't have a say in the matter.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:28   #1764
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well the last laugh is on me. After all this time, I've just cottoned on to the fact that I am exchanging correspondence with a pre-recorded message set to auto-reply. Silly me!
Old 26-03-2014, 13:30   #1765
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Sky have no say whatsoever on the likes of Blinkbox and Amazon should they join Virgin Media. Allthough the HBO content via Blinkbox and Amazon would ofcourse be on a PPV basis but there is nothing stopping Amazon or Blinkbox turning around and saying "we're going to bring out a monthly pass system for our PPV content." such as say pay £10p/m and you can access the ppv content without any extra charge. Unlikely to happen but it could and Sky won't have a say in the matter.
That's wrong because the service would then become subscription , the movies Blinkbox show are on the service earlier than Amazon Prime , Netflix and Sky Movies for a reason and thats because there PPV not subscription.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:34   #1766
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

This is the point I was trying to make, but I'm not sure why you think it is unlikely. Discussions with Amazon may well come up with a subscription arrangement such as Netflix and a simple request by VM could lead Amazon to securing us that hankered after content. Sounds simple enough to me - what are the problems with this exactly?

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That's wrong because the service would then become subscription , the movies Blinkbox show are on the service earlier than Amazon Prime , Netflix and Sky Movies for a reason and thats because there PPV.
I think we are all agreed that the first run content would be PPV. However, what about when SA have shown those programmes? Others have commented on here that Sky only have exclusive access to the first run content, not to the older series of these shows.

Accordingly, there is no reason why we can't see Game of Thrones series 1-3 on an Amazon Instant subscription, is there? What is the barrier to this happening in your view? I'm not sure I understand why you think this is not possible.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:44   #1767
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think we are all agreed that the first run content would be PPV. However, what about when SA have shown those programmes? Others have commented on here that Sky only have exclusive access to the first run content, not to the older series of these shows.

Accordingly, there is no reason why we can't see Game of Thrones series 1-3 on an Amazon Instant subscription, is there? What is the barrier to this happening in your view? I'm not sure I understand why you think this is not possible.
I don't need to prove anything I have access to HBO shows but if I were to cancel Sky and decide Now TV wasn't for me could you point me in the direction of a subscription On Demand provider who gives me older HBO shows without having to use smart DNS ?
Old 26-03-2014, 13:49   #1768
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I don't need to prove anything I have access to HBO shows but if I were to cancel Sky and decide Now TV wasn't for me could you point me in the direction of a subscription On Demand provider who gives me older HBO shows without having to use smart DNS ?
Oh, I see, you are talking about what is available now, I get it.

I'm talking about a future arrangement that could be made with Amazon in relation to a new Amazon Instant app on subscription. I do understand that a subscription arrangement involving the older HBO shows may not be available now. What I am saying is that this could be part of a negotiation between Virgin Media and Amazon. That is all.

There is nothing to prevent this from happening, as far as I can see, as no exclusivity deal with Sky would prevent it apparently.
Old 26-03-2014, 13:59   #1769
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
That's wrong because the service would then become subscription , the movies Blinkbox show are on the service earlier than Amazon Prime , Netflix and Sky Movies for a reason and thats because there PPV not subscription.
Good point.

One way they could do it is the cost gets added to your vm bill if you order the ppvs via tivo etc. I don't think that will happen though i think you will need a valid debit/credit card still linked to your prime/blinkbox account. They may allow paypal though.

For now though Nowtv is certainly the only option available to none Skytv subscribers who want subscription based HBO content without using vpns etc.
Even Nordic HBO have now stopped accepting credit cards outside the Nordic region i believe.
Old 26-03-2014, 14:01   #1770
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Good point.
Yes, and that is correct, we know that the only way we can see first run shows by this method is by PPV. But look at the older HBO stuff. No reason why that shouldn't be on subscription if Amazon chose to do this, is there? Or am I missing something?
Closed Thread