Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 06-09-2012, 11:41   #691
Jameseh

Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Yup, I don't care about having to pay for the extra box.
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2012, 11:43   #692
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Ok, but it's not going to be available at the VM app launch.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:20   #693
Jameseh

But it will be afterwards...?

Seriously though, without the Stream box and features, TiVo is just Sky+HD with less channels.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:22   #694
Kaizer83
Inactive

Kaizer83 is an unknown quantity at this point

So according to this the September release is not going to happen, it will now be October and it seems any streaming capabilities will not be available initially and are "Coming Soon"

http://recombu.com/digital/news/virg...pp_M10112.html

What frustrates me is that if the app is not launching with all the extra features then they would have been as well to release a re-branded version of the US app a long time ago!
Kaizer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 14:08   #695
gizuk
Inactive

gizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer83 View Post
So according to this the September release is not going to happen, it will now be October and it seems any streaming capabilities will not be available initially and are "Coming Soon"

What frustrates me is that if the app is not launching with all the extra features then they would have been as well to release a re-branded version of the US app a long time ago!
Be careful. That October date has never been released by Virgin. The closet we have got is actually "Autumn".

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You mean the update that requires extra hardware to do the streaming?
Your quote also states that even if you buy the other piece of hardware it won't work. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.
gizuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 14:33   #696
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizuk View Post
Your quote also states that even if you buy the other piece of hardware it won't work. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.
My point was that Jamesh said:

Quote:
If the app does any less than the US version they can go fly.
and as the US TiVo app requires extra hardware that has only been released for the US TiVo, there is no chance it'll happen when the VM TiVo app gets released (nor has at any stage VM say that it will or that it'll be part of the app at launch)

So just making sure people are aware before they are any complaints once the VM app is released
Old 06-09-2012, 15:04   #697
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
The TIVO stream looks an excellent product however I'm pretty sure if it was introduced here certain premium content would be prevented from being downloaded , I'd imagine BSKYB and a few other broadcasters wouldn't be too happy about people downloading its content to mobile devices to view on the go
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:27   #698
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The TIVO stream looks an excellent product however I'm pretty sure if it was introduced here certain premium content would be prevented from being downloaded , I'd imagine BSKYB and a few other broadcasters wouldn't be too happy about people downloading its content to mobile devices to view on the go
Bit confused. Didn't the What HiFi article say that you will be able to stream channels to the ipad, or is that just within the home?

Personally, I think these content providers need a smack round the head. They put barriers in the way of content you've ligitimately paid for being shown on connected devices and wonder why there is so much ilegal downloading (which I personally don't do because I believe it to be wrong). Have they learnt nothing from the music industry who spent years with their heads buried in the sand before doing something?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:30   #699
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Bit confused. Didn't the What HiFi article say that you will be able to stream channels to the ipad, or is that just within the home?
There is Live TV streaming when you are on WiFi, but not streaming/transferring of recorded programmes to the app - that would require the TiVo Stream hardware.
Old 06-09-2012, 15:34   #700
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
There is Live TV streaming when you are on WiFi, but not streaming/transferring of recorded programmes to the app - that would require the TiVo Stream hardware.
Thanks for the clarification Ben. Didn't the What HIFI article say that recorded show streaming was on the 'to do' list?
Old 06-09-2012, 15:49   #701
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Yes Live channels so long as you have a wifi connection , like Sky Go. I was referring to TIVO streams ability to download content to the iPad , to enable watching on the move without the need for wifi , I believe channels such as HBO and Showtime in the US won't also allow this function.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:52   #702
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It will be over 3G too not just WiFi.
Old 06-09-2012, 16:30   #703
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It will be over 3G too not just WiFi.
You sure?

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

As far as I know the streaming stuff is WiFi only at launch.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

And from the What HiFi article:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/virgin-...imate-tivo-app

Quote:
You'll need a wi-fi connection to watch content, though a 3G offering is on the wish list.
Old 06-09-2012, 16:39   #704
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Live TV should be over 3G as well as wifi as far as I know.

from the following page

Quote:
Do I need an active data connection to use the Virgin TV Anywhere app?

Remote control features on the app will work over 3G connections. WiFi connections will be recommended for streaming video, but it is expected to work over a high quality 3G connection also.
Old 06-09-2012, 16:52   #705
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

Also from that article:
Quote:

Also on the to-do list is the ability to watch your own personal recordings stored on your TiVo box on your tablet or smartphone. Clever.