Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 24-06-2008, 11:26   #106
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age
Re: Application Throttling/Management

and I assume that they won't throttle the legal transactions that take place on Usenet?
Oh no wait, they can't tell what's being downloaded/uploaded over SSL.

So are they going to assume that just because I transfer files via Usenet that they are illegal? I'm not an expert but I am sure thats some sort of Defamation
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2008, 12:53   #107
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
and I assume that they won't throttle the legal transactions that take place on Usenet?
Oh no wait, they can't tell what's being downloaded/uploaded over SSL.

So are they going to assume that just because I transfer files via Usenet that they are illegal? I'm not an expert but I am sure thats some sort of Defamation
They will not be throttling based on weather the files your downloading are legal it is just the fact that you are downloading large amounts so it could be a movie or the latest linux distro it dosnt matter to them its all GB's and thats all they are bothered about. Its just another example of VM's tight fisted tactics to sell the service you pay for to someone else !

Impz
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 12:55   #108
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz2002 View Post
They will not be throttling based on weather the files your downloading are legal it is just the fact that you are downloading large amounts so it could be a movie or the latest linux distro it dosnt matter to them its all GB's and thats all they are bothered about. Its just another example of VM's tight fisted tactics to sell the service you pay for to someone else !

Impz
They have such great ideas, us poor lot on VM can't even use that Steam or Valve or whatever its called! to download PC games as heaven forbid if you do you are STM'd, throttled, deemed a pirate....I know who needs throttling around here, and its not us customers!
LostintheNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 13:23   #109
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
If they are going to throttle Usenet traffic to combat piracy..... why have they provided access to a shiny new Newsgroup server with more binary groups than we had before with NTL?
Because if you use VM's newsgroups they save on bandwith as its all internal

It's not about piracy per say, more about you using GB's of external bandwith to which they do not want to pay for.
Old 24-06-2008, 13:28   #110
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
Because if you use VM's newsgroups they save on bandwith as its all internal

It's not about piracy per say, more about you using GB's of external bandwith to which they do not want to pay for.
TraxData I know they have issues with external bandwidth congestion; however isn’t the bigger problem UBR congestion?
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 13:34   #111
TraxData

In some area's yes, in most areas games actually cause more problems than bittorrent though.
Old 24-06-2008, 14:36   #112
NotaVMFan
Inactive

Services: Sky Plus x 2, Sky Std Box, Sky Connect Running at 8mb (Now Getting LLU`D for 16mb Max Product, Bt li
NotaVMFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
In some area's yes, in most areas games actually cause more problems than bittorrent though.

Which basically VM trying to lower their debt rather than sorting the network properly stuffing the Customer in the process week by week...
NotaVMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:09   #113
LostintheNW
Inactive

LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
How come games cause more problems? and its only VM who seem to have the most trouble, my connection is shocking at times when I am playing on xbox live, or the connection will vary from good to my connection is being routed via pluto so games are unplayable. Lovely VM have stated there is nothing they can do and its obviously my xbox - heaven forbid its their service

Going off this throttling business (dare I say this?) but game ports are going to be throttled as well? And who wants a bet on when VM will start throttling the standard internet port (80 and 8080 aren't they?)
Old 24-06-2008, 16:20   #114
TraxData

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheNW View Post
How come games cause more problems? and its only VM who seem to have the most trouble, my connection is shocking at times when I am playing on xbox live, or the connection will vary from good to my connection is being routed via pluto so games are unplayable. Lovely VM have stated there is nothing they can do and its obviously my xbox - heaven forbid its their service

Going off this throttling business (dare I say this?) but game ports are going to be throttled as well? And who wants a bet on when VM will start throttling the standard internet port (80 and 8080 aren't they?)
Games cause problems on sky as well, thus why they no longer let you keep interleaving on (i believe?)

They use more uplink bandwith than you think and believe it or not there is alot more gamers than there is p2p users online at the same time, each card is only 38mbit and uplinks soon get saturated (this is the main reason for slow speeds, rather than people downloading 24/7)
Old 24-06-2008, 16:30   #115
LostintheNW
Inactive

Quote:
Games cause problems on sky as well, thus why they no longer let you keep interleaving on (i believe?)

They use more uplink bandwith than you think and believe it or not there is alot more gamers than there is p2p users online at the same time, each card is only 38mbit and uplinks soon get saturated (this is the main reason for slow speeds, rather than people downloading 24/7)
Sounds like VM need to invest (oops dirty word around them that!) in the newer technology to allow people to play online games, wont ever happen though and they will always find some excuse to blame people for things not working the way they should.

Nice to know its us gamers then who are causing problems, time to let me neighbours who have 360's and ps3's to know about it and connect to my accidentally open wireless network (only open at nite when I am home) and play games merrilly away
Old 24-06-2008, 16:33   #116
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

PANIC! RUN TO THE HILLS!

Has anyone thought that the fact that Virgin Media have actually denied this for once may mean that it isn't in fact going to happen? As we all know, they are not known for outright denying things.

I'm not doubting Traxdata or his sources. I'm sure throttling has been discussed at some point, but in business lots of ideas get discussed and not all of them are implemented. I used to be a union rep at a massive company and was privvy to a lot of changes that were discussed that would be as shocking to some people as this throttling idea is. Yet, I can tell you now that a lot of the ideas that were floated around and minuted, discussed and even had an action date (like throttling's third quarter 08 or first quarter 09 for example) didn't come to fruition because they were just ideas.

tl;dr - Ideas get thrown about business all the time. Chill baby, it probably won't happen.
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:37   #117
TraxData

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbymitts View Post
PANIC! RUN TO THE HILLS!

Has anyone thought that the fact that Virgin Media have actually denied this for once may mean that it isn't in fact going to happen? As we all know, they are not known for outright denying things.

I'm not doubting Traxdata or his sources. I'm sure throttling has been discussed at some point, but in business lots of ideas get discussed and not all of them are implemented. I used to be a union rep at a massive company and was privvy to a lot of changes that were discussed that would be as shocking to some people as this throttling idea is. Yet, I can tell you now that a lot of the ideas that were floated around and minuted, discussed and even had an action date (like throttling's third quarter 08 or first quarter 09 for example) didn't come to fruition because they were just ideas.

tl;dr - Ideas get thrown about business all the time. Chill baby, it probably won't happen.
They publically denied STM as well

And if you read their reply it actually states they are *not* using it now *publically*, they CANNOT publish details about any type of trials at all, so they wont say it.
Old 24-06-2008, 16:40   #118
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
but in business lots of ideas get discussed and not all of them are implemented
Indeed, and sometimes goes further than that. In 2005/6 ntl were going to put everyone on the same broadband speed and charge for data usage instead. Staff got issued with Internal product books that said for ALL the broadband speeds "10Mb coming soon", they all had training on the usage tracker that was going to be introduced and a provisional date was briefed.

Never happened
Old 24-06-2008, 16:50   #119
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmar View Post
Indeed, and sometimes goes further than that. In 2005/6 ntl were going to put everyone on the same broadband speed and charge for data usage instead. Staff got issued with Internal product books that said for ALL the broadband speeds "10Mb coming soon", they all had training on the usage tracker that was going to be introduced and a provisional date was briefed.

Never happened
And that's because its far easier to cram as many users as they can on the network and just STM it to hell while only investing in STM.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:51   #120
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
They publically denied STM as well

And if you read their reply it actually states they are *not* using it now *publically*, they CANNOT publish details about any type of trials at all, so they wont say it.
"Virgin Media has an open and transparent traffic management policy listed at www.virginmedia.com/traffic. Our policy does not discriminate internet traffic by application and we have no plans to do so. Whilst we do use equipment from Allot within parts of our cable network, this is used to build usage metrics and does not affect customers’ service in any way. It is certainly not used to do any form of packet shaping or change internet traffic priorities.”

Trax, I'm having difficulty finding that in there. I suppose you could read it like that if you squint a little, move words about and generally put more in. I've ordered you a tinfoil hat, all in the name of goodhearted fun of course.

I hope you are completely wrong
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote