Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 24-06-2008, 01:29   #91
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Well i have set for a higher download than that so will leave it running and see what happens
Hope you dont get stm'd
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2008, 01:39   #92
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all

Quote:
Well i have set for a higher download than that so will leave it running and see what happens
Assuming TraxData is right (and I'm betting he is) I'd love to see your evidence sent through to The Register for a follow-up story to VM's denial...

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:41   #93
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed2020 View Post
Assuming TraxData is right (and I'm betting he is) I'd love to see your evidence sent through to The Register for a follow-up story to VM's denial...

Ed.
If he's in the trial area, which changes every few weeks

VM havent actually denied using allot for shaping really, very choice words from VM to not really give an answer back
Old 24-06-2008, 01:48   #94
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
If he's in the trial area, which changes every few weeks

VM havent actually denied using allot for shaping really, very choice words from VM to not really give an answer back
I've just reread VM's statement and I can certainly see some loopholes but it reads like a firm denial re. Allot. What am I missing?

I'm almost tempted to get a job at VM so I can do my bit towards getting some of this doublespeak out into the public domain.

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 03:32   #95
Mox3d
cf.member

Services: All of them.
Mox3d is infamous around these partsMox3d is infamous around these parts

More people read these forums than some may give credit for. I've popped in and looked ever since VM took over, ever since Blueyonder took over, in fact since the early days of Telewest broadband. It's taken a long time but there has to come a point at which one has to say `too far, no more'.

VM with me are on a very sticky wicket. Our relationship has spiralled downward ever since the first day I called VM CS. That patronising voice saying how there are now four choices, choosing, waiting, choosing again, the customer service disconnects while you wait, the unintelligible language of at least half of the CS telephone staff, the fact that I was one of the very first to have broadband in my area with Telewest in 1998, the fact that since 2003 I've payed for the top level service from when it was 1mb to the current 20mb, the prospect of throttling just irritates and angers me beyond words.

You can call it what you like, quantize it, divide it, categorize it, diagnose my modem I don't care any more. The fact is this. 20mb connection speed is what I am paying for. If I find so much as once that I am `throttled' back to anything less than the best service you can be assured I will be leaving VM.

Gone are the days where customer service meant one on one conversation with someone who knew your first name. Gone are the days when if you had something to say about service then you would be duly heard, maybe a new policy would be rolled out too. Gone is the time where value means you get exactly what it says on the lid. I have little in the way of positive things to say about Virgin Media. I am in fact appalled at the entire service overall. The gritty TV signal quality, patchy broadband, atrocious phone services etc. In fact I am on the edge of suicide just reading this back to myself.

I'll just say that there are many unhappy customers about to come out of the woodwork, all of whome are equally disillusioned by VM's advertising and service in general. Throttling elite customers will be very much the beginning of the end.

These are my opinions. I'm sorry if I come across angry.
Mox3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 08:25   #96
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There isn't suppose to be ANY trigger threshold outside the published hours.
Just like there isn't any port throttling going on

STM kicks in when it feels like it for me and a lot of other people who have VM for their ISP. What VM tell you as a CS rep and what some goon does behind the scenes are always two different things it would seem.

Love how someone has mentioned that they are doing this to combat piracy - not everything P2P involves illegal material ya know! Just nice to see how VM tar everyone with the same brush and that all their internet users are nothing but pirates
LostintheNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 08:26   #97
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Well i did not get STM'd so i can only assume that the triggering the other night was in error which has now been fixed or that the trial if there was one is over.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 08:28   #98
LostintheNW
Inactive

LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Well i did not get STM'd so i can only assume that the triggering the other night was in error which has now been fixed or that the trial if there was one is over.
Which part of the UK are you in Sirius? I live in the North West and I am STM'd day in day out (love to know how it happens given I am in work from around 8am until gone 7pm some nights and can't possibly be using my VM connection!) with varying limits of what I can download (which is nowhere near gigs of data its demos, and streaming 80meg videos from xbox live)
Old 24-06-2008, 08:48   #99
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheNW View Post
Which part of the UK are you in Sirius? I live in the North West and I am STM'd day in day out (love to know how it happens given I am in work from around 8am until gone 7pm some nights and can't possibly be using my VM connection!) with varying limits of what I can download (which is nowhere near gigs of data its demos, and streaming 80meg videos from xbox live)
Warrington area.

I know of the day time stm and evening stm however i WAS stm'd after midnight the other week. I knew it was stm as the upload and download was changed at the same time for the STM limits. I have been away and have not had the chance to test until last night. I am worried that it will come in as i see a once great broadband system being changed into a bag of poo.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 08:54   #100
LostintheNW
Inactive

Quote:
Warrington area.

I know of the day time stm and evening stm however i WAS stm'd after midnight the other week. I knew it was stm as the upload and download was changed at the same time for the STM limits. I have been away and have not had the chance to test until last night. I am worried that it will come in as i see a once great broadband system being changed into a bag of poo.
I agree it was going to be a good internet service, now its just a restricted useless pile of crud. They will bring it in like they do everything else they suddenly claim is a trial when it gets leaked and its just the poor customers who get shafted over and over. Might STM my last payment to them for a laugh and see how they like it
Old 24-06-2008, 09:40   #101
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox3d View Post
More people read these forums than some may give credit for. I've popped in and looked ever since VM took over, ever since Blueyonder took over, in fact since the early days of Telewest broadband. It's taken a long time but there has to come a point at which one has to say `too far, no more'.

VM with me are on a very sticky wicket. Our relationship has spiralled downward ever since the first day I called VM CS. That patronising voice saying how there are now four choices, choosing, waiting, choosing again, the customer service disconnects while you wait, the unintelligible language of at least half of the CS telephone staff, the fact that I was one of the very first to have broadband in my area with Telewest in 1998, the fact that since 2003 I've payed for the top level service from when it was 1mb to the current 20mb, the prospect of throttling just irritates and angers me beyond words.

You can call it what you like, quantize it, divide it, categorize it, diagnose my modem I don't care any more. The fact is this. 20mb connection speed is what I am paying for. If I find so much as once that I am `throttled' back to anything less than the best service you can be assured I will be leaving VM.

Gone are the days where customer service meant one on one conversation with someone who knew your first name. Gone are the days when if you had something to say about service then you would be duly heard, maybe a new policy would be rolled out too. Gone is the time where value means you get exactly what it says on the lid. I have little in the way of positive things to say about Virgin Media. I am in fact appalled at the entire service overall. The gritty TV signal quality, patchy broadband, atrocious phone services etc. In fact I am on the edge of suicide just reading this back to myself.

I'll just say that there are many unhappy customers about to come out of the woodwork, all of whome are equally disillusioned by VM's advertising and service in general. Throttling elite customers will be very much the beginning of the end.

These are my opinions. I'm sorry if I come across angry.
Brilliant post!! .. sums things up quite nicely ..
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 09:51   #102
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

throttling gaming ports?.......thats just plain wrong.......what next - charging to use wii, xbox360 or PS3...........and talking about PS3 - why is it nearly all VM users get real bad download speeds on PSN (ps3 network), yet fine on xbox360, and no its not router settings, nearly everyone i know who has VM suffer from this yet BT lines/ect, ect are fine?

But seriously throttling or whatever applications such as games is taking the mick to another level. What do they actually want us to use our BB for?
mcmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 09:55   #103
LostintheNW
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmanic View Post
throttling gaming ports?.......thats just plain wrong.......what next - charging to use wii, xbox360 or PS3...........and talking about PS3 - why is it nearly all VM users get real bad download speeds on PSN (ps3 network), yet fine on xbox360, and no its not router settings, nearly everyone i know who has VM suffer from this yet BT lines/ect, ect are fine?

But seriously throttling or whatever applications such as games is taking the mick to another level. What do they actually want us to use our BB for?
its not fine on the xbox i have huge problems with mine sometimes - host anything more than 2 players and its lagtastic! I daren't download anything from live as i get stm'd
Old 24-06-2008, 11:18   #104
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

If they are going to throttle Usenet traffic to combat piracy..... why have they provided access to a shiny new Newsgroup server with more binary groups than we had before with NTL?
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 11:23   #105
LostintheNW
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
If they are going to throttle Usenet traffic to combat piracy..... why have they provided access to a shiny new Newsgroup server with more binary groups than we had before with NTL?
IMO they are thick as ***** and couldn't run a p!ss up in a brewery these days!