Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 15-07-2008, 00:08   #211
Irvysan

Services: Freeview, VM 10Mb BB/XL TV+Phone
Cool Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambora View Post
Did you compare it with an alternative route; say an "openreach" connection?

Perhaps it was not accessible at all?

There is no such thing as an 'openreach' connection as they are not a CP, I did however compare it with a BT Retail connection who have no problem accessing the site
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2008, 07:12   #212
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvysan View Post
That will be why I could not connect to a certain "pirate bay" website until after 11pm this evening?? Does anyone know how i could confirm this??
The site does go down for varying periods on occasion.

Throttling wouldn't make it inaccessible...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 09:02   #213
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

1 day to go and I am free from VM and their shoddy service. If playing games on XBL degrades their fantastic "fibre optic" cable network then its a complete joke
LostintheNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:06   #214
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

i have tested this myself many times & TraxData is correct. for example if i download from Rapidshare i dont get throttled but if i use Utorrent i do. thats all the proof that i need.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23   #215
Jelly
Inactive

Jelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about them

That's not proof; there are too many uncertain factors in the case of torrents. It may have been poorly seeded, your ports may not have been forwarded or you forwarded the wrong ones, or the tracker was unresponsive and you were only getting DHT peers. You might also have hit the STM limit.
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 15:27   #216
Fatec
Inactive

Fatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
That's not proof; there are too many uncertain factors in the case of torrents. It may have been poorly seeded, your ports may not have been forwarded or you forwarded the wrong ones, or the tracker was unresponsive and you were only getting DHT peers. You might also have hit the STM limit.
Quick test from me, from a torrent with 2x100Mbit seeders and 1x1Gbit seed box.

VM connection (at gfs) download starts off @ 100Kb/s, sometimes touches 200Kb/s but wont go any higher.

Hook up her ADSL+2 connection, download starts at 2.3MB/s straight away and stays that way, now you could say adsl+2 connection has much better routing to the seedbox/seeders, however, the seedbox is in the UK and has a good link up to VM (http links direct from the seedbox are fine, btw).

Nothing funky going on there? course not

Torrenting On VM @ her house is impossible, poor speeds, poor upload speeds.

Yet fine with HTTP (usenet even goes up/down now...lol..)
Fatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 15:39   #217
xspeedyx

got screen shot trax?
Old 02-08-2008, 16:10   #218
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

One of the most infuriating things about Virgin is their policy of messing around with peoples connections and not saying anything on the basis it's a trial

One other question Trax - if you shift the usenet connection to SSL do you see the same results?
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 16:20   #219
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
One of the most infuriating things about Virgin is their policy of messing around with peoples connections and not saying anything on the basis it's a trial

One other question Trax - if you shift the usenet connection to SSL do you see the same results?
It wouldnt be hard for them to Thorttle SSL usenet based on destination alone, i'm sure most ISP's which SSL traffic is usenet if its going to one of the major providers Ip ranges.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:38   #220
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
It wouldnt be hard for them to Thorttle SSL usenet based on destination alone, i'm sure most ISP's which SSL traffic is usenet if its going to one of the major providers Ip ranges.
I'm not suggesting it would be difficult - throttling by destination is easier than throttling by protocol, but it's whether they are throttling or not.

As I've stated before, although I don't like STM, throttling, etc. I won't dispute that I'd be classed a heavy user in most ISPs eyes. I'm happy to work within the reasonable boundaries they set (i.e. scheduled overnight) if necessary but if the goalposts are moving quicker than I can shoot I may as well not bother working with them.

And before someone says "if you dont like it leave", I'm pretty much limited ot cable as I'll only get about 2 meg on ADSL where I am. That doesn't mean I have to like VMs policies though.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:42   #221
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
I'm not suggesting it would be difficult - throttling by destination is easier than throttling by protocol, but it's whether they are throttling or not.

As I've stated before, although I don't like STM, throttling, etc. I won't dispute that I'd be classed a heavy user in most ISPs eyes. I'm happy to work within the reasonable boundaries they set (i.e. scheduled overnight) if necessary but if the goalposts are moving quicker than I can shoot I may as well not bother working with them.

And before someone says "if you dont like it leave", I'm pretty much limited ot cable as I'll only get about 2 meg on ADSL where I am. That doesn't mean I have to like VMs policies though.
That is a tad unfortunate.

I'm lucky i get decent ADSL speeds but if i End up somewhere with cable and only slow ADSL speeds available id probably end up making the same desision as yourself.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 21:21   #222
Jelly
Inactive

Jelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about them

Ugh, torrenting has become horribly slow here. Can seed with my full connection, but when it comes to downloading, there'll be a burst when starting the torrent, then it'll stick at 20-60KB/s. Newsgroups have become my main source of anime now ;_;
Old 04-08-2008, 21:58   #223
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

No problems with torrents for me, downloading full speed all the way (until it hits the stm and then it's a quarter, but still no interuption or any other kind of throttling. I'm in the Guildford area, 10Mbits connection.
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:12   #224
Jelly
Inactive

Well I'm in the Birmingham/Solihull area. Anybody else nearby having problems? I am an extremely heavy downloader, so Virgin might have cut my line priority, but since HTTP and Newsgroup downloads work fine, I don't think that's it.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:35   #225
xspeedyx

Torrents started messing up for not downloading at all but last night and this morning is fine