Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 02-07-2008, 16:01   #196
zing_deleted

Re: Application Throttling/Management

An interesting note on newgroups was having a look at options for the future and found good old easynews has now got a 150 gig for $29.99 using their zipmanager and http downloads would stop the throttling surely. Still expensive but a viable option if you ask me
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2008, 16:34   #197
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
An interesting note on newgroups was having a look at options for the future and found good old easynews has now got a 150 gig for $29.99 using their zipmanager and http downloads would stop the throttling surely. Still expensive but a viable option if you ask me
Not really unless they frequently change their servers/ Ip range as VM could just give all traffic to their IP range a low priority.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 17:25   #198
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo3972 View Post
omg but surely an xbox live doesnt use that much data transfer arnt we alowed 500mb or summet a day, i did read sumwere that xbox live didnt hardly use any data transfer or watever it is it does, my partner does host games on gears of war will this make much diffrence will it use more than say if he was just joining a game if ya know wat i mean, joxx
You're not understanding. I'll spell it out in n00b speak for you.

ALL transfers from ANYTHING connected to the internet COUNT TO YOUR ALLOWANCE.

If your XBL traffic takes you over the threshold it doesn't matter how much you use.

Have you measured how much it uses?

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 17:52   #199
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post

If your XBL traffic takes you over the threshold it doesn't matter how much you use.

depends on the game. It seems to be around 50Kilobits/s on halo3 and it jumps up a fair bit when there's a lot going on, say 400 - 500Kps.

But it was hard to tell since my traffic graph was for the WAN port on the router and therefore being polluted by my browsing.
Old 02-07-2008, 18:28   #200
jojo3972
Inactive

jojo3972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

how do i measure how much it uses is there a programme i can get or sumthing, would be intresting to see actualy how much it does use, joxx
jojo3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 18:36   #201
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
depends on the game. It seems to be around 50Kilobits/s on halo3 and it jumps up a fair bit when there's a lot going on, say 400 - 500Kps.

But it was hard to tell since my traffic graph was for the WAN port on the router and therefore being polluted by my browsing.
Interesting... My router doesnt have that, it would be nice to :S

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 18:37   #202
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Easynews staff have stated on their support group that VM are known to specifically throttle Easynews connections. Having said that I get full speed via the NNTP server but around 10meg using web + FDM + SSL. Not that it bothers me, nothing is ever that urgent when downloading from usenet and I prefer just downloading a single unrared/unpared file than using NNTP.
Been with them for over 6 years and I get a loyalty bonus and the gigs roll-over so if I can get something from the improved VM news server which doesn't appear to be throtlled, I use that first.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 18:40   #203
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo3972 View Post
how do i measure how much it uses is there a programme i can get or sumthing, would be intresting to see actualy how much it does use, joxx
If you have a router which supports snmp you can use mrtg from your PC to graph your WAN throughput/usage

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 18:56   #204
broadbandbug
Inactive

broadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Interesting... My router doesnt have that, it would be nice to :S
Take a look at Wallwatcher.. Google it Your router may well support it.
broadbandbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 19:08   #205
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
If you have a router which supports snmp you can use mrtg from your PC to graph your WAN throughput/usage

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
If your a windows user PRTG is another alternative.

Mine displays it in the Web ui, but I don't have it save the data over reboots (It can do it but apperently it does cause a fairly high amount of writes to the flash memory)
Old 05-07-2008, 17:02   #206
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

I dont have much time to post right now...

BUT....Langley/Bromsley...all i know is your going to be a test area soon!

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Not really unless they frequently change their servers/ Ip range as VM could just give all traffic to their IP range a low priority.
Which is what they already do for *some* services anyway.
Old 05-07-2008, 21:22   #207
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

trax makes a very bad smell then leaves the room......again!!!
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 22:18   #208
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve

*yawn*
Angry@VMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:47   #209
Irvysan

Services: Freeview, VM 10Mb BB/XL TV+Phone

That will be why I could not connect to a certain "pirate bay" website until after 11pm this evening?? Does anyone know how i could confirm this??
Old 14-07-2008, 23:52   #210
Sambora
Inactive

Sambora will become famous soon enoughSambora will become famous soon enoughSambora will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvysan View Post
That will be why I could not connect to a certain "pirate bay" website until after 11pm this evening?? Does anyone know how i could confirm this??
Did you compare it with an alternative route; say an "openreach" connection?

Perhaps it was not accessible at all?
Sambora is offline   Reply With Quote