Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online Safety Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online Safety Bill

Old 03-03-2024, 10:18   #346
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Online Safety Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
If only .
I take that wink was towards myself. Well you can't please everyone.

Someone will always find ways be offended when there's discussions / debates on forums etc. But to go out of your way to just flame and troll is another matter.

Last edited by peanut; 03-03-2024 at 10:26.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2024, 10:26   #347
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I take that wink was towards myself. Well you can't please everyone.
No, I've no issues with anything you said, sorry if I gave that impression.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:33   #348
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
No, I've no issues with anything you said, sorry if I gave that impression.
Ah no worries, an easy mistake I will admit.
Old 03-03-2024, 14:28   #349
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
How has he ‘trolled’ her?
He posted how he disagrees with her commentating.

I see (well hear) his point in some cases, they are high pitch screetches that are painful to listen too.
However, there are some that are ok as well, I have no idea about Eni Aluko, as I dont recognise the name.

I notice he then got "abuse" (dont know what), but no one seems to mind that ...

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 17:17   #350
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Said something like... "How is she even talking about Men’s football. She can’t even kick a ball properly. ����

Your coverage of the game EFC last night, took it to a new low.

Eni Aluko and Lucy Ward, the Fred and Rose West of football commentary. "

And...

"After receiving a barrage of abuse, he described men who stand up for female commentators as eunuchs and added: “Stand by everything I’ve said on Women commenting and co-comms on the Men’s football.

“Like me talking about Knitting or Netball. Way out of my comfort zone.

“Some of the Men are bad enough!

“We have gone too far. You cannot watch a game now without hearing the nonsense.

“Any man who says otherwise is an absolute fart parcel.”

That said, he is a nobhead, and there'll always be nobheads. It depends on your ability to ignore those nobheads. But to say Eni Aluko was too scared to leave the house is a bit over the top. Anyone from an outsider's view could take that as a bit of an over reaction, to the point where you do think she's a bit pathetic. That's just just seems a way these days to gain the attention and the ammo for any legal issues. But seems to be the norm these days.

Still I'm a firm believer if you've got nothing good to say, then best to say nothing at all.
Apparently, because it was a high profile ex footballer who refused to take down his messages, this encouraged others to pile on due to the phenomenon mentioned earlier. Sheeple went on to make racist, sexist remarks and threatened her family.

Reports to X were ignored by them.

These selfish people are also probably
aware that these days it won't usually be them that carries the can, but the site
owners and their moderators who face sanctions including fines, or even jail time, due to their posts.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
He posted how he disagrees with her commentating.

I see (well hear) his point in some cases, they are high pitch screetches that are painful to listen too.
However, there are some that are ok as well, I have no idea about Eni Aluko, as I dont recognise the name.

I notice he then got "abuse" (dont know what), but no one seems to mind that ...
Nothing wrong with politely/respectfully saying that you don't care for her style of commentating. It's when it becomes insulting, libellous, racist, sexist, threatening etc that crosses the line.

Barton is fully entitled to take action against any abuse against himself if he so wishes.

I think he's a football manager now, so you'd think that his employers would want to do something if this reflects badly on them, brings the club into disrepute etc.

People seem to think that they can do/say anything they want outside of work, but a lot have found out the hard way that this is not the case.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 18:27   #351
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Nothing wrong with politely/respectfully saying that you don't care for her style of commentating.
I’ve listened to him on several interviews and his position is that many, if not most, of these female “pundits”….not hosts..are nothing more than diversity hires and that their knowledge, and analysis, of the man’s game is poor. And that they’re there to fulfil a quota, taking a job away from other ex-professional footballers better qualified.

I personally think he has a point.
Old 03-03-2024, 18:41   #352
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Although I don't disagree the same is true of male pundits.

People are getting appointed based on their ability to generate social media clicks.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 20:30   #353
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I’ve listened to him on several interviews and his position is that many, if not most, of these female “pundits”….not hosts..are nothing more than diversity hires and that their knowledge, and analysis, of the man’s game is poor. And that they’re there to fulfil a quota, taking a job away from other ex-professional footballers better qualified.

I personally think he has a point.
That's totally fine if this is how he feels, it was the innapropriate remarks, racism, sexism and threats that followed that are the problem and why he's being taken to court.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

In todays 'Sunday Morning With Laura Kuenssberg' at about 0:34

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001x0sm

The parent of a girl who ended up killing herself after online bullying went to see the PM earlier this week in connection with the campaign to ban smartphones for under 16's.

The father of another girl who was literally bullied to death also wants a specific law to ban cyber bullying. Mariano gives a moving interview about losing his daughter (and wife shortly afterwards) and how appallingly her school dealt with the situation.

As usual one, or a small group of people starts doing it, nothing effective or nothing at all is done about it. This gives rise to the phenomenon of others feeling that they have permission to join in and so it snowballs. They do it to disempower people by grinding them down, strip them of any confidence or self esteem and the poor girl ended up committing suicide.
Old 03-03-2024, 20:51   #354
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That's totally fine if this is how he feels, it was the innapropriate remarks, racism, sexism and threats that followed that are the problem and why he's being taken to court.
What did he say that was “racist”? Or “sexist” …….although I don’t think it’s illegal to be misogynistic, at least not yet.
Old 03-03-2024, 20:59   #355
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

In todays 'Sunday Morning With Laura Kuenssberg' at about 0:34

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001x0sm

The parent of a girl who ended up killing herself after online bullying went to see the PM earlier this week in connection with the campaign to ban smartphones for under 16's.

The father of another girl who was literally bullied to death also wants a specific law to ban cyber bullying. Mariano gives a moving interview about losing his daughter (and wife shortly afterwards) and how appallingly her school dealt with the situation.

As usual one, or a small group of people starts doing it, nothing effective or nothing at all is done about it. This gives rise to the phenomenon of others feeling that they have permission to join in and so it snowballs. They do it to disempower people by grinding them down, strip them of any confidence or self esteem and the poor girl ended up committing suicide.

Later on in the morning a new term 'antifans' was explained. It's where former fans of celebrities, influencers etc have gone off them for some reason and start mercilessly criticising them for how they look, what they wear, how they walk etc.

The conclusion was that those who constantly criticisise others are jealous.

What sort of a nasty waste of time life are some people leading? The internet has given us lots of wonderful opportunities, but it has a nasty side to it that needs sorting out.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

Quote:
What did he say that was “racist”? Or “sexist” …….although I don’t think it’s illegal to be misogynistic, at least not yet.
It's all explained in the programme.

Whether something is illegal to say or not, if it amounts to harrassment it becomes illegal. The definition of what is harrassment is when an individual feels harassed. This was reiterated on this mornings political programmes on BBC1.
Old 03-03-2024, 22:04   #356
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
It's all explained in the programme.
I asked you. I haven’t watched the programme nor intend to.

According to you, as you said it, what has he said that is racist and sexist?
Old 05-03-2024, 04:24   #357
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

From about 0:06 there is an interview with the Disinformation & Social Media Correspondent at the BBC;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/
m001x0xl

Marriana Spring explains that her role covers everything bad on social media, including trolls, conspiracy theories & the part that algorithms play in encouraging people to go to sites that are harmful.

---------- Post added at 04:24 ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 ----------

This is the story of Molly, a 14 year old girl, and her father Ian Russell. It looks at how the introduction of the non-chronological feed by Instagram may have altered the course of his daughters life.

7% of 13-15 year old children have seen self harm content over the previous 7 days. During the same period over half of all Instagram users had had a bad experience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001x0xl

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 05-03-2024 at 04:28.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:30   #358
peanut
NUTS !!

What is 'harmful'? And what constitutes a bad experience?

Are things like 'You've Been Framed' kind of stunts that go wrong self harming like parkour, skate boarding etc? Is comparing yourself to air brushed models a bad experience? As for conspiracy theories, well is that bad? Some are fun, some are stupid, and some can make a person to have an open mind. Also what are these harmful sites?

The only things I can think of that is classed as self harming are things like cutting and not eating etc. It's all too vague.

Last edited by peanut; 05-03-2024 at 07:34.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:00   #359
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
What is 'harmful'? And what constitutes a bad experience?

Are things like 'You've Been Framed' kind of stunts that go wrong self harming like parkour, skate boarding etc? Is comparing yourself to air brushed models a bad experience? As for conspiracy theories, well is that bad? Some are fun, some are stupid, and some can make a person to have an open mind. Also what are these harmful sites?

The only things I can think of that is classed as self harming are things like cutting and not eating etc. It's all too vague.
Yes, as well as sites that encourage suicide or provide details of how to do it.
Old 05-03-2024, 13:24   #360
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I would sign up for this if it was able to remove Trolls from forums.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote