Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Breaking your contract with VM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Should Virgin Media & Sky drop the +1 channels?

Old 30-10-2016, 20:35   #1
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Should Virgin Media & Sky drop the +1 channels?

Since there are so many OTT and catchup services available now, wouldn't it make sense to retire some of the +1 services and make space for new broadcast channels?

This would probably apply more to VM than Sky since the availability of streaming services via their set top box could almost remove the need for "+1" channels entirely - assuming that the relevant content deals were arranged / apps installed.

Just throwing that out there...
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2016, 20:51   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Should Virgin Media & Sky drop the +1 channels?

It's not up to Sky or Virgin whether the +1 channels exist or not, but the channel providers.

So as they exist I would expect that they're part of any overall channel carriage agreement I.e. If Virgin want a popular channel, they may also have to carry a lower rated channel or +1 from the same provider.
Old 31-10-2016, 01:29   #3
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

NOOOOOOO.
Old 31-10-2016, 01:50   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

No.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 05:45   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

No as they are very useful in juggling potential recording clashes for starters.
Old 31-10-2016, 08:09   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
Since there are so many OTT and catchup services available now, wouldn't it make sense to retire some of the +1 services and make space for new broadcast channels?

This would probably apply more to VM than Sky since the availability of streaming services via their set top box could almost remove the need for "+1" channels entirely - assuming that the relevant content deals were arranged / apps installed.

Just throwing that out there...
As far as I know, there isn't a space problem. That issue disappeared quite a while ago.

The +1 channels are still needed at the present time because they provide flexibility for recordings. Not all programmes are on catch up, and they are only there for a week on most players available on Virgin. The players that are available which retain programmes for longer are (with the exception of the BBC i-player) peppered with unskippable advertisements. It is hit and miss whether the programme you are looking for is on Netflix, Amazon or Now TV.

When the day arrives that we can playback any programme we like from the cloud or from a comprehensive archive service on a web site (which would have to be on subscription and/or pay per view), I might agree with you, assuming broadcast TV in its present form is still around at that time.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:14   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As far as I know, there isn't a space problem. That issue disappeared quite a while ago.

The +1 channels are still needed at the present time because they provide flexibility for recordings. Not all programmes are on catch up, and they are only there for a week on most players available on Virgin. The players that are available which retain programmes for longer are (with the exception of the BBC i-player) peppered with unskippable advertisements. It is hit and miss whether the programme you are looking for is on Netflix, Amazon or Now TV.

When the day arrives that we can playback any programme we like from the cloud or from a comprehensive archive service on a web site (which would have to be on subscription and/or pay per view), I might agree with you, assuming broadcast TV in its present form is still around at that time.
And even a streaming diehard like you knows it will be.
Old 31-10-2016, 09:41   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And even a streaming diehard like you knows it will be.
I did say 'at that time', Den. If it takes a long while for the alternatives I mentioned to be available, the broadcast channels as we know them will have diminished in number or disappeared completely.

However, I am hoping that an archive solution of some kind will be in place sooner rather than later.
Old 31-10-2016, 09:46   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

As like a lot of things in general everyday life hope springs eternal OB.
Old 31-10-2016, 13:08   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

They are quite useful when you see something whilst channel surfing, wish you had recorded it, and then spot there is a +1 channel.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 13:38   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
They are quite useful when you see something whilst channel surfing, wish you had recorded it, and then spot there is a +1 channel.
They are, but tough if you are surfing and like a programme that is half way through on a +1 channel!

I have always said the channel surfing is the most inefficient way of discovering programmes to watch. I stopped doing that years ago.

Turning your suggestions on will get you better results than channel surfing, but as some may recall, I set all the programmes I want to see in advance and just watch broadcast TV from my recordings. The result: many hours of my favourite programmes, all waiting for me whenever I'm ready. This is by far the intelligent way to watch broadcast TV.
Old 31-10-2016, 23:08   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No as they are very useful in juggling potential recording clashes for starters.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I agree with all of this.

Quote:
They are, but tough if you are surfing and like a programme that is half way through on a +1 channel!

I have always said the channel surfing is the most inefficient way of discovering programmes to watch. I stopped doing that years ago.

Turning your suggestions on will get you better results than channel surfing, but as some may recall, I set all the programmes I want to see in advance and just watch broadcast TV from my recordings. The result: many hours of my favourite programmes, all waiting for me whenever I'm ready. This is by far the intelligent way to watch broadcast TV.
That's one thing that I shall miss about the TiVo. Suggestions was a USP for me, which is why I haven't turned them off to try to get the box to work properly.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 00:42   #13
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Interesting points, I hadn't really considered these. I suppose they will be around for a few more years yet then!
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:59   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I agree with all of this.

That's one thing that I shall miss about the TiVo. Suggestions was a USP for me, which is why I haven't turned them off to try to get the box to work properly.
Well, as you elope with Sky into the sunset, Richard, you may be missing other things about VM as well already. And all because you couldn't wait another few weeks for the V6. You could have still exited VM if you were not happy with the next price rise (not the end of your contract, as you keep saying).

You don't know what you've got til it's gone.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:11   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It could be argued it no longer pays to show loyalty , isn't it those who've been with their current provider the longest and generally accepted each pay rise who are paying the most.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote