Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV
Closed Thread

Old 14-11-2008, 10:53   #781
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
Many sporting events are only available via the Red Button on Sky Sports, means cable customers miss out.
I see. And with Sky that would mean having an 'upstream' path (i.e. the box connected to the telephone). Correct? Presumably these are therefore pay per view events, a feature which Virgin already has, it just depends on who has the rights to televise the event. However I imagine that there is more to Sky Interactive than this, given that there is a BSkyB Developers' Forum.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Advertisement
Old 14-11-2008, 10:59   #782
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
I see. And with Sky that would mean having an 'upstream' path (i.e. the box connected to the telephone). Correct? Presumably these are therefore pay per view events, a feature which Virgin already has, it just depends on who has the rights to televise the event. However I imagine that there is more to Sky Interactive than this, given that there is a BSkyB Developers' Forum.
the champions league is shown on Sky and that isn't PPV but VM users can only see the game shown on Sky Sports Extra and the normal channels not the 8 match choice that Sky users get.

Sky also used to put games on Sky One when VM users couldn't access that channel so it will be interesting to see if they continue to do that now VM have access to Sky One
Old 14-11-2008, 11:01   #783
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Question Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Which is why the pay tv invesgation by ofcom is probally going ot make interactive and hd channel part of the rate card be cause sky ar eusing it to get one over ther ecompettion
I hope we're not going off topic with this but I believe it still relates to what 'might' be coming soon to Virgin TV. What is the 'rate card' you mention?
Old 14-11-2008, 11:53   #784
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I hope we're not going off topic with this but I believe it still relates to what 'might' be coming soon to Virgin TV. What is the 'rate card' you mention?
rate card is why sky sport and sky movies will never leave because sky have to make them availible under the competiton commission
Old 14-11-2008, 13:13   #785
Nilrem
Inactive

Nilrem is on a distinguished roadNilrem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IIRC the red button when used on Sky sports to select a different match or angle effectively just changes to a different video/audio stream (sort of like changing the channel, but keeping the channel number that is displayed the same).
No need for any upstream as it's all done via the tuner on the box, and already an option allowed by the package that the card is set for (the box just needs to know that the bradcast in question has that option).

I'd imagine it would be trivial for some manner of it to be ported over to cable if it was available, as from what i understand the V/V+ boxes already do something very similar for various things.
Old 14-11-2008, 13:28   #786
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
As mentioned by previous poster. No need for phone line. The phone line is only needed for chargeable items. Nearly all interactive doesn't require the phoneline, it just selects a different video and or audio stream, like as mentioned it's just like changing to another channel, but without it actually being on a channel number.
Old 14-11-2008, 14:22   #787
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Exclamation Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilrem View Post
IIRC the red button when used on Sky sports to select a different match or angle effectively just changes to a different video/audio stream (sort of like changing the channel, but keeping the channel number that is displayed the same).
No need for any upstream as it's all done via the tuner on the box, and already an option allowed by the package that the card is set for (the box just needs to know that the bradcast in question has that option).

I'd imagine it would be trivial for some manner of it to be ported over to cable if it was available, as from what i understand the V/V+ boxes already do something very similar for various things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
As mentioned by previous poster. No need for phone line. The phone line is only needed for chargeable items. Nearly all interactive doesn't require the phoneline, it just selects a different video and or audio stream, like as mentioned it's just like changing to another channel, but without it actually being on a channel number.
Then it sounds as though Virgin could do it, as long as they were receiving the extra feeds from Sky. On existing V/V+ boxes, I imagine Audio Description would be an example of switching to an alternative audio stream on the same channel. If the same facility for video is available then it is technically feasible to implement the 'red button' feature. Does Setanta have this kind of thing on BSkyB or is it just the Sky Sports channels that have it?
Old 14-11-2008, 14:32   #788
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Then it sounds as though Virgin could do it, as long as they were receiving the extra feeds from Sky. On existing V/V+ boxes, I imagine Audio Description would be an example of switching to an alternative audio stream on the same channel. If the same facility for video is available then it is technically feasible to implement the 'red button' feature. Does Setanta have this kind of thing on BSkyB or is it just the Sky Sports channels that have it?
That's the point, they're not recieving the extra feeds, sky won't give VM the interactive content because all the rate card requires them to give is the basic channel.
Old 14-11-2008, 15:03   #789
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Exclamation Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
That's the point, they're not recieving the extra feeds, sky won't give VM the interactive content because all the rate card requires them to give is the basic channel.
Which brings us back to squealy's original question. Anyway, now I understand it a lot better. Thanks all.
Old 15-11-2008, 07:18   #790
m.massey
Inactive

Services: (Ex birm cable & telewest,size XL , got bt.internet broadband.
m.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to m.massey

is sky sport in widescreen? if so will we get on vigin
Old 15-11-2008, 12:56   #791
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.massey View Post
Sky Sports has been widescreen for many years.
Old 15-11-2008, 14:14   #792
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.massey View Post
Come on lad get a grip.
Old 15-11-2008, 14:53   #793
kezar
Inactive

kezar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
The latest I know is Virgin Media are still in talks with Sky over up to 15 of Sky's HD Channels that Virgin Media hope is coming to Virgin within the next SIX weeks.
if you had £10 would you bet on arrival prior to christmas if at all

regards

Kerry
Old 15-11-2008, 15:22   #794
ufitm

Services: VM VIP package and DTT freeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezar View Post
if you had £10 would you bet on arrival prior to christmas if at all

regards

Kerry
Well we have got sky basics back . We may get a supprise for Christmas
(2009 )

Old 15-11-2008, 22:49   #795
m.massey
Inactive

Services: (Ex birm cable & telewest,size XL , got bt.internet broadband.
m.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the roughm.massey is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to m.massey

sorry all , when i ask if sky sport was WS , it was sky sport news , i was asking on. sorry for that i now sky sport is ws , but i see sky sport is not,
Closed Thread