Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Powerline Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Powerline Speeds

Old 03-10-2015, 18:12   #1
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08
Powerline Speeds

Hi all,

So have got a pair of 500mbps Powerline adapters in anticipation for BT Infinity install.

The adapters sync at 337mbps according to the utility, yet I am still only getting around 25mbps from the actual port??
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2015, 20:35   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Powerline Speeds

Is this your first pair of powerline adapters? What is or are the make and model number(s)? These speeds are being achieved via VM? Are direct connections to your broadband connection hard wired achieving better speeds?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:56   #3
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

What is your broadband speed? If you are on adsl, 25mbs sounds about right
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:00   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do some quick tests first:

1: Try both adaptors plugged in to the same (non surge protected) power strip and see what the speed is

2: Make sure the powerline units aren't on surge protected power strips, and are, if possible, on the same ring main (my own powerline setup ran at half speed when the units were on separate circuits)
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 15:21   #5
ruddock08
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Is this your first pair of powerline adapters? What is or are the make and model number(s)? These speeds are being achieved via VM? Are direct connections to your broadband connection hard wired achieving better speeds?
Not the first pair I've used.. but the only pair I have plugged in.

Model number is: TP-LINK TL-PA411 (500mbps)

Yes these are connected straight to my router. Hard wired router speeds around 156mbps. Highest I can achieve on PL is 22mbps. I have tried upstairs-downstairs (changing the PL from plugged in next to router to plug socket opposite side of room), also tried adjacent room from router and lastly the same room as the router, and still can only achieve 22mbps TOPS.

Very annoying. I only need it to achieve 35mbps so that I don't have to pay to get an ethernet line installed from upstairs-downstairs for BT Infinity

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
What is your broadband speed? If you are on adsl, 25mbs sounds about right
Pretty sure ADSL tops out at around 17mbps. I'm with VM 150mbps.

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
I'd do some quick tests first:

1: Try both adaptors plugged in to the same (non surge protected) power strip and see what the speed is

2: Make sure the powerline units aren't on surge protected power strips, and are, if possible, on the same ring main (my own powerline setup ran at half speed when the units were on separate circuits)
Done both of these now. Doesn't make a difference
Old 05-10-2015, 17:00   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I have done a speedtest using the PC that's on the top floor and connected by the same tp-link powerline adapters to the router on the floor below. I get a speed of about 55Mbps. One powerline is on a non surge protected power strip and the other is plugged directly in. You should therefore be able to get more than you are getting. It sounds that perhaps you have a very bad mains supply.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 18:15   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

60meg is normal for homeplugs, ive never seen one go faster
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:56   #8
ruddock08
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I have done a speedtest using the PC that's on the top floor and connected by the same tp-link powerline adapters to the router on the floor below. I get a speed of about 55Mbps. One powerline is on a non surge protected power strip and the other is plugged directly in. You should therefore be able to get more than you are getting. It sounds that perhaps you have a very bad mains supply.
Annoyingly I think you may be right...

The bottleneck is within the upstairs office somewhere. Weirdly enough, the electrics in there are only a few years old. Guess it's going to have to be Ethernet cabling

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
60meg is normal for homeplugs, ive never seen one go faster
I only need 40!
Old 06-10-2015, 11:01   #9
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Is the upstairs/office space on a separate ring main/circuit breaker to where the router is?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:08   #10
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is the upstairs/office space on a separate ring main/circuit breaker to where the router is?
I'm never certain what affect that has. The PC upstairs is on a separate ring that just serves that room (Its the only room up there) if fact each floor is a separate ring each with its own circuit breaker but only one RCD for all the power circuit rings. Our rewiring was done about 10 years ago.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:28   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

It means longer distance and more attenuation for the signal to travel through which means weaker signal.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:59   #12
ruddock08
cf.addict

Quote:
Upstairs is on a separate ring to downstairs - yes.

But as I say, this doesn't seem to affect it. 22mbps seems to be the limit even within the same room.. Strange
Old 06-10-2015, 15:35   #13
rhyds
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
Upstairs is on a separate ring to downstairs - yes.

But as I say, this doesn't seem to affect it. 22mbps seems to be the limit even within the same room.. Strange
It might be worth repeating the "pairing" procedure with both units, and also triple checking the cat5 cable you've been using, as unless you have the noisiest mains wiring in history, you should be getting more than 22mbit.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I'm never certain what affect that has. The PC upstairs is on a separate ring that just serves that room (Its the only room up there) if fact each floor is a separate ring each with its own circuit breaker but only one RCD for all the power circuit rings. Our rewiring was done about 10 years ago.
My house has most sockets on one ring main, but I've had an extra socket added using a previously unused 16A breaker. With both powerline units on the same ring I get a much better speed than having one unit on the ring main and the other on the new socket.
Old 06-10-2015, 17:34   #14
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

There is one difference between Ruddock and myself in that I also run a second pair of powerline units which connect a Logitech security camera in the garden to the router. There was confusion when the tp-link was added and I had to put a password on the Logitech ones. But they only seem to run at about 16Kbits/sec
Old 08-10-2015, 08:47   #15
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I have the same TP links and get about 45Mb (I'm on 50Mb)
The router end is in a 5 way protected power strip and the downstairs one in a standard 6 way strip. They are on different rings so I think you should be getting higher speeds.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote