Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 01-12-2016, 16:11   #1741
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post

- From a pure tech spec point of view - 12 tuners, not 6 like the 2013 TiVo Roamio. Allowing simultaneous recording of 4 shows, plus live TV on 5 devices (3 TVs and 2 tablets), plus extra tuners to "next gen" the interface (live channel previews for example). I don't think the ability to use more tuners for recording, but then not available for viewing, will benefit many, if any users.

Personally, I prefer the ability to record 6 shows on the main box. I'm not interested in watching on devices. The distinction in this area between SkyQ and V6, allows choice, which is a good thing, surely?

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
I think many people are not thinking much about "4K tv", until there is a 4K tv channel. Not just the occasional red button stuff that sky offers. When 4K tv channels come along, that will be when 4k starts to register more in most peoples minds.

Personally I prefer the ability to record more channels at once. In my view, why would anyone want to watch a top rated tv show or a decent film on a tiny little screen on a tablet. I only watch this stuff on a big screen with decent sound, i'm sure many people are the same.

Mini boxes, the V6 is pretty mini in it's self. Also I doubt a little bit of extra size bothers most people. And usually the people who can afford top packages, and who have all the best equipment sky or virgin have available. Those folks wont be living in a small pokey places, they will have decent space available.

Personally if a interface is fast, I know Tivo have had problems with slowness on and off ( my Tivo is now fast since the last software update ). But if it's fast and looks decent enough, and it's straight forward enough to navigate and use. I don't really care beyond that. After all, it's only a means to get you to what you want to watch. The content is the main course not some super flashy interface.

Underneath the marketing, overall there really isn't much between sky and virgin these days.

Spot on. and the slight difference with Sky Q allows choice.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2016, 16:13   #1742
rscott101
Inactive

rscott101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Personally, I prefer the ability to record 6 shows on the main box. I'm not interested in watching on devices. The distinction in this area between SkyQ and V6, allows choice, which is a good thing, surely?

Spot on. and the slight difference with Sky Q allows choice.
And that difference will be going away within a few months with the next Q update.

Presumably the v6, with it's 6 tuners, can record 5 & watch another live, not record 6 and watch another live?
rscott101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:18   #1743
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Does the v6 support split screen at all? Q can show multiple views on Sky Sports.

Split screen very cutting edge- for the 1980's
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:20   #1744
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
I assume one will need to sign up for another 12 month contract to avail of the new V6 at the £50 price? My contract (Full House XL) expires at the end of March.... I would happily pay the £50 to get a new box as my current TiVo one is so frustratingly slow. I'm not too bothered by 4K etc. yet as I don't have a 4K telly, although it is on my wishlist for the New Year. However, I don't know if I want to lock myself into another 12 months just to get a faster box...
Well, I had to agree to be tied into another contract, but this was part of an overall retention deal. Not sure if those paying for their V6 will be though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
This is probably what VM want customers to do. By telling us we can connect multiple V6s together to increase storage and watch recordings on any box, they could be hoping we pay £99.95/£49.95 for more than 1 box.
I don't think that VM will be making much (if anything) from charging these prices for the boxes, could be wrong though.

I imagine that the pricing has been pitched so as to attract and retain customers so that they can make money from the services taken.

Edit: With hindsight, if extra boxes attract another monthly TiVo fee, maybe you're right as this will benefit VM over the years (unless, as has been speculated in the past) this fee goes to TiVo themselves?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 01-12-2016 at 16:22. Reason: Hindsight comment.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:24   #1745
rscott101
Inactive

rscott101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
Does the v6 support split screen at all? Q can show multiple views on Sky Sports.

Admittedly the v6 would look modern for the 1980's (just).

Q split screen here - https://recombu.com/digital/article/...-how-to-use-it
rscott101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:30   #1746
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post

Split split is all fine and dandy but l would imagine for the vast majority of Sky's own customers who don't subscribe to its sports channels its rather unimportant in their TV viewing.
Old 01-12-2016, 16:32   #1747
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well guys, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but you will see quite a few here and a few of the early reviews, that are not just rewrites of the press release, disagree.

I get that a lot of people are not "4K ready", technologically or emotionally, but there is little doubt it is "next-gen". And "occasional red button stuff" does not really adequately describe the ability to watch and record in your absence 4K sport, or the ability to watch some Sky Atlantic shows in 4K/UHD at the time of first broadcast.

Mini boxes with no HDD are cheaper, more suited to quiet environment, like a bedroom and need no cabling. it is these things, not the size, that gives them the edge over a whole 2nd box.

Using the same size HDD as 6 years ago is odd.

Interfaces are a personal thing, I accept.

If you have no interest in these or the other things I listed that's fine, there may indeed be little noticeable difference to you. V6 will I am sure be good enough and, as you say Nialli, it sure is a step up from the 6 year-old TiVo!. But for those who are looking for a next-gen TV box the V6, with it's largely dated specification (4K "capability" aside) is not it and there is a lot more difference to those that do care for Sky Q's capabilities than "marketing".

ps. Do you really ever find yourself needing to record more than 4 things simultaneously? I know it's possible but....!

pps. I too read and have sometimes commented on your blog Nialli. It's been really useful over the years. Thanks for your service to the community

I just don't get it Jong. As I understand it Jong; you are with Sky for TV, and happy with it. Is that correct?
If so, why are you spending so much time on here moaning about the V6?

It reminds me of many years ago, when the Mac boys were constantly trying to prove that Macs were better than PCs. The PC people generally just got on with it just using there PCs and ignoring the Mac people. The truth of it was, both were as good and it was a case of each person's preference regarding their individual needs.

Mac people trying to prove, 'mine is better than your' smacks a little of insecurity to me. They needed to get over it and realise that it was just down to personal choice.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:40   #1748
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I just don't get it Jong. As I understand it Jong; you are with Sky for TV, and happy with it. Is that correct?
If so, why are you spending so much time on here moaning about the V6?

It reminds me of many years ago, when the Mac boys were constantly trying to prove that Macs were better than PCs. The PC people generally just got on with it just using there PCs and ignoring the Mac people. The truth of it was, both were as good and it was a case of each person's preference regarding their individual needs.

Mac people trying to prove, 'mine is better than your' smacks a little of insecurity to me. They needed to get over it and realise that it was just down to personal choice.
There seems to be a few new members joined the forum who are pointing out that Q has x y and Z that the V6 hasn't. Strange that?
Old 01-12-2016, 16:45   #1749
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
There seems to be a few new members joined the forum who are pointing out that Q has x y and Z that the V6 hasn't. Strange that?
It's fair enough to point out those differences and it helps to make a judgement on whether to stay or go.

However, it seems to me that those differences would not make any difference to the way I watch TV and so are not of any consequence to me. The only thing I covet is the 2TB capacity of the box, but the whole idea of downloading on demand stuff onto the hard drive would drive me up the wall.

As they say, horses for courses...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:45   #1750
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well guys, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but you will see quite a few here and a few of the early reviews, that are not just rewrites of the press release, disagree.

I get that a lot of people are not "4K ready", technologically or emotionally, but there is little doubt it is "next-gen". And "occasional red button stuff" does not really adequately describe the ability to watch and record in your absence 4K sport, or the ability to watch some Sky Atlantic shows in 4K/UHD at the time of first broadcast.

Mini boxes with no HDD are cheaper, more suited to quiet environment, like a bedroom and need no cabling. it is these things, not the size, that gives them the edge over a whole 2nd box.

Using the same size HDD as 6 years ago is odd.

Interfaces are a personal thing, I accept.

If you have no interest in these or the other things I listed that's fine, there may indeed be little noticeable difference to you. V6 will I am sure be good enough and, as you say Nialli, it sure is a step up from the 6 year-old TiVo!. But for those who are looking for a next-gen TV box the V6, with it's largely dated specification (4K "capability" aside) is not it and there is a lot more difference to those that do care for Sky Q's capabilities than "marketing".

ps. Do you really ever find yourself needing to record more than 4 things simultaneously? I know it's possible but....!

pps. I too read and have sometimes commented on your blog Nialli. It's been really useful over the years. Thanks for your service to the community
Record more than 4 at once no, but I do sometimes need to record 3 and watch another channel. The current Tivo obviously can't do that.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 17:13   #1751
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Here we go ......... I'll be getting one. End
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 17:20   #1752
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Record more than 4 at once no, but I do sometimes need to record 3 and watch another channel. The current Tivo obviously can't do that.
The most I have had on the go at once is 4 recordings at the same time (one via my DVD recorder) but even then I had to use a timeshift channel and a repeated episode on another day to avoid clashes.

Six tuners for me is perfect (but only because I have now bought a DVD player/HDD recorder with two tuners!).
Old 01-12-2016, 17:23   #1753
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The most I have had on the go at once is 4 recordings at the same time (one via my DVD recorder) but even then I had to use a timeshift channel and a repeated episode on another day to avoid clashes.

Six tuners for me is perfect (but only because I have now bought a DVD player/HDD recorder with two tuners!).
Jeez, OB...how do you have time to watch all the things you have recorded? lol

6 Tuners is easily plenty for my household, but for the sake of being able to watch recordings across boxes, I may get 2 V6s.
Sometimes I watch tele upstairs and moan about not being able to watch what is recorded downstairs.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 17:27   #1754
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Jeez, OB...how do you have time to watch all the things you have recorded? lol
It's because the best programmes tend to be aired on different channels between 9 and 11 pm, UC.

This happens a lot during the winter/spring season. Not much on at the moment, I have to say. Autumn used to be a good time of year for popular, decent shows, but no longer. Christmas will be another disappointment, TV wise, I fear.
Old 01-12-2016, 17:39   #1755
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's because the best programmes tend to be aired on different channels between 9 and 11 pm, UC.

This happens a lot during the winter/spring season. Not much on at the moment, I have to say. Autumn used to be a good time of year for popular, decent shows, but no longer. Christmas will be another disappointment, TV wise, I fear.
Depends what you call the best programmes lol

I tend to watch/record popular US shows like Walking Dead, The Blacklist etc
Luckily these shows have their usual annual air dates, so I can plan recordings around them
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote