Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 02-08-2013, 11:57   #3961
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

jarrodstrachan is on a distinguished roadjarrodstrachan is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

My friends graph:

I think the best VM graph I've ever seen, he's on Stok17 UBR, which isn't even listed on UK Internet Report.

Something I noticed however, is that before his upstream bonding, he had 0 packet loss, afterwards he had them little spots of packet loss as seen on quite a few VM graphs
jarrodstrachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2013, 03:15   #3962
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Dunno how that happened.
Firmware update changed the defaults.

---------- Post added at 03:12 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
Would a Firmware upgrade make it change as i did a upgrade on the 24 of July ?
I see you figured it out by yourself

---------- Post added at 03:15 ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 ----------

Quote:
If you know a lift and shift with registry frig method for getting round that - do please let me know!
Backup Vista registry before reinstalling if you like to do things manually, or just use the easy transfer wizard built in to windows to get it done automatically.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 19:56   #3963
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Think broadband.jpg
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 20:45   #3964
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Firmware update changed the defaults.[COLOR=Silver]
You must be short of something to do to go back 4 days just for that comment and then provide a useless reply.

This is the link to the post which sets out the problem.

First of all, a firmware download doesn't reset the defaults. I've checked that.

Second, it's the 172.18.200.xx IP address that's perplexing. Any other ideas on that?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 22:21   #3965
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
You must be short of something to do to go back 4 days just for that comment and then provide a useless reply.
Ermm, I just got back and went through reading all the posts marked as "New" by the forum.

Quote:
First of all, a firmware download doesn't reset the defaults. I've checked that.
You've clearly not developed any firmware for routers.

Quote:
Second, it's the 172.18.200.xx IP address that's perplexing. Any other ideas on that?
How is it perplexing? Default IP range changes at the same time as a firmware update. Not sure why you can't comprehend the possibility one caused the other.
Old 04-08-2013, 22:24   #3966
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Yes - but you could have made a helpful reply. Can you think of a reason for the 172.18.200.xx IP address? That poster could only get onto his router with the 192.168.1.1. address.

Old 04-08-2013, 22:31   #3967
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

THe Asus routers all use a 192.168.x.x IP range and none of their recent firmwares have switched to a 172 IP range. So while yes, the firmware update is certainly a likely candidate for the change, it still doesn't explain why it switched to a 172 IP range. If it were as simple as resetting to defaults, then it would reset to 192.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 22:34   #3968
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes - but you could have made a helpful reply. Can you think of a reason for the 172.18.200.xx IP address? That poster could only get onto his router with the 192.168.1.1. address.
Ermm, I think you'll find he stated the exact opposite.

There are many different reasons you might want to switch to the 172.16.0.0/12 range, deliberately or otherwise. Can you think of any good reason to use 196.168.0.0/16?

What is there to "help"? We all took guesses at what caused it. There is nothing wrong, nothing to fix, and nothing to really explain. It's no more of a problem than if their router uses 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1...

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
So while yes, the firmware update is certainly a likely candidate for the change, it still doesn't explain why it switched to a 172 IP range.
You frequently get glitches across firmware updates where they have changed the location that certain variables get stored, or the encoding of them, and they flip to some unintended value as a result of trying to "preserve" older settings. This is why it is widely recommended you do a factory reset as part of any kind of firmware change.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about though. 172.16.0.0/12 is a perfectly legitimate IP range to use and evidently it worked perfectly fine, and nobody even noticed until we deliberately went searching for it.
Old 04-08-2013, 22:39   #3969
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

It didn't work fine at all. It screwed up access to his fixed IP devices in the 192.168 range.

Old 04-08-2013, 22:46   #3970
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I don't see where he has claimed that anywhere.

But even if he had, he shouldn't have been trying to access to fixed IP devices in a range he did not have a fixed IP in.

You can't expect static addressing to work if you're lazy and don't assign static addresses to something...
Old 04-08-2013, 22:47   #3971
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Plus, I would argue that if one setting has randomly changed, then what else has changed? Better safe than sorry.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this "some bits flip and values get changed to preserver other settings". It doesn't make any sense for it to switch to 192 to 172 for any reason. It's not like some random bits were flipped and it just happened to land on another internal IP range. Surely if it was going to reset to anything, it would be the default of 192. I think it was definitely a glitch of some kind, but I can't think of any reason why it would be programmed to do that.
Old 04-08-2013, 22:53   #3972
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

There are plenty of random occurrences in the computing world you cannot explain or will never understand. I've made firmware for routers and I have both seen it happen in practice and can understand the theory behind why it happens. If you don't accept my explanation - fine. I may be wrong and you don't have to agree but I don't see you coming up with a better explanation, nor any reason either of us should care enough to try.

Dunno about you but I've come to accept things occasionally doing randomly doing stuff you don't expect to be a completely normal occurrence in the consumer IT world.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28   #3973
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Telf11 has gained another downstream overnight. Got 6 downstream and 2 upstream now. TBB graph shows the work being done overnight nicely.

Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:33   #3974
Kushan

Should be a nice improvement there.
Old 10-08-2013, 00:13   #3975
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Anyone else getting a marginal "hump" on their graph? Had one last night that started just before 10pm, but I thought this morning that it could of been due to the work they did overnight (extra downstream). Got one again tonight that has started around 11pm. Doesn't seem to be causing any issues though.

Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote