Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 31-01-2010, 23:55   #76
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
re: The Apple iPad Thread

A worthy competitor emerges

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/8...rnals-windows/
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2010, 19:27   #77
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

OOOhhh yeah - it will be able to read out loud ebooks

I was considering the kindle 2 because of this feature, now - well I think the iPad will do me a treat.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...book-features/

Mind you that's assuming apple sort out a uk iBook app.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 19:35   #78
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Still no official word on UK prices?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 19:37   #79
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
Still no official word on UK prices?
I've not seen it mentioned anywhere yet. I've signed up to be emailed when they are pre-ordering so I'll post something as soon as I know.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 17:51   #80
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

They've been delayed till late May in the rest of the world.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 17:56   #81
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Pre orders start on the 10th May on the UK site and O2 has exclusive tariffs for the iPad 3G version.
Old 14-04-2010, 18:03   #82
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

As has Orange http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/04...-release-1184/
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 10:59   #83
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post

And another ?

*Pads are for sharing it seems.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 11:02   #84
zing_deleted

The thing is from what I can see the competition are actually tablet computers whereas the Ipad is an extra large Ipod
Old 15-04-2010, 11:09   #85
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
The thing is from what I can see the competition are actually tablet computers whereas the Ipad is an extra large Ipod
Pretty much but 'tablet' computers have failed before, probably because they run software much is designed with a keyboard and mouse interface before. The reviews I have seen of the iPad do confirm it's a large iPhone but prefer to see the iPhone as a smaller iPad. That is the idea of the iPhone's interface is greatly improved on the bigger screen which is also more responsive.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 11:19   #86
zing_deleted

but there is no multi tasking so I read?

Windows 7 is optimised for touch screen tech so maybe the day is dawning for the tablet pc?

I am sure the Ipad will be a wonderful peice of kit and arm processors have come a long way but the 3g versions of the Ipad are gonna be to expensive imo mind you I am sure the Tablets will be to.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

am I right that only the 3G models can be used as a phone and the wifi models are only ipods?

I did also read they use a micro sim which will make it hard to jailbreak and unlock these off the tarriffs which o2 orange and voda announced (without costs yet)

So I assume on US costings you are looking at £450/£500 for the lowest model with 3G and a data charge( will the ipad cost be subsidised?)
Old 15-04-2010, 18:17   #87
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

The 3G is for amazon kindle-like iBook books to be downloaded in the background. They can't be used as phones perse.

There will be multitasking in the up-and-coming OS4 update (although its supposed to be late this year the iPad version).
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 21:16   #88
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Midi control and music apps are appearing on the radar.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/0...igger-picture/

Nothing really useful for Logic Studio or Ableton and nothing for Mainstage ie: live performance patch/instrument selections or manipulation.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 15:39   #89
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Best not to travel to Israel when carrying an iPad.
Old 16-04-2010, 18:27   #90
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Best not to travel to Israel when carrying an iPad.
Given that there are reports of the iPad having poor wifi signal, just think how bad the weaker European version would be.

Customer: Good mornin' me ol' mukka, moi iPad ain't working wiv me wifi
Apple: Ah, you're British, are you within 2 inches of your wireless router?
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote