Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 23:24   #196
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The Apple iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Apart from not getting the point of an iPad, I do think they are great if you have a need for one but I'm still trying to figure what use I would have for one. I can't see a point in swapping or upgrading my iTouch for one, as the iTouch has much more everyday practical use.

Personally, I wouldn't buy something at that price knowing that in a a few months it's going to be outdated by a newer version. Not only that I'd rather see what competition crops up, still early days yet.
I don't have an iPad, but I have a Tosh Folio (one of the Android lookylikeys) on a month's trial.

I have had an iPhone, currently have a HTC Desire, and the Tablet format makes it so much easier to be a media consumer (be it documents, web wifi, or film/TV programmes - I read about 8 different documents (PDF, Word, Excel) on the way home tonight on the bus, which would not have been possible (or as easy/enjoyable) on a smartphone.

The previous night I watched part of Generation Kill whilst waiting for my wife to finish at the gym - it just makes, as I said, media consumption more enjoyable.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2011, 23:34   #197
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Yup. From the plays I've had with iPad1, and from comments by people I know who own one, a tablet is a joy to use for media consumption, browsing, etc.

I could take it travelling, take it to work, and use it around the home for general browsing & media consumption (easier than being fixed to my desk with my ageing & noisy desktop turned on constantly when all I want to do most of the time is browse & consume).

Doesn't have the power & versatility of a proper desktop or laptop, but it's more convenient, & if you're primarily interested in consuming rather than creating then it's great. Although there are more productivity apps coming out, & you can use a Bluetooth keyboard if you really need one.

Smartphones are great for out & about use, but the screens are too small for prolonged browsing & media consumption etc.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:58   #198
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The key problem for me is, the price of an iPad demands something in return for that level of investment. As a secondary means of consumption in a home it is just too expensive. I've been using one for 3-4 days now and while it's sort of fun to have around, I'd be having a hard time convincing even myself that it was money well spent.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23   #199
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

An iTouch does everything I expected it to do and more. An iTouch has a purpose, the main thing is that it's portable, it fits in my pocket and if I need to use the web when I'm out and about then I use my phone with Joikuspot which works a treat. Would I carry an iPad out with me? No chance. If I carried a briefcase to work then maybe I would carry an iPad around with me.

I got an iTouch mainly as an updated ipod, and it works well, I can't see the point of an iPad for music. I use a Yamaha dock to play music through the amp at home and that also works well. I also use a Kindle for books which is better than an iPad for that function. Also it is easy to convert films to the iTouch and watch on the go (I've watched countless films on it) as well as reading books (Stanza). It has a function where portability is key. Would I watch a film on an iPad at home, why would I when I have a good sized TV and a good sized laptop / main PC monitor.

Games are quite ok on an iPad, but it doesn't warrant the price tag. Don't get me wrong, the iTouch is brilliant and the iPad is just a larger version so it's also brilliant, but because of the size to me it's also pointless.

I can't say I'd never get one at some point, but I won't even consider it yet as it's just way to early, and the price just doesn't warrant it.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:40   #200
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The key problem for me is, the price of an iPad demands something in return for that level of investment. As a secondary means of consumption in a home it is just too expensive. I've been using one for 3-4 days now and while it's sort of fun to have around, I'd be having a hard time convincing even myself that it was money well spent.
I agree, and the forking out doesn't stop there does it, what with this adaptor and that adaptor. Don't all other tablet's have standard USB and some even have HDMI.

I think Apple need to get with the times.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00   #201
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I'm also in agreement, though, I would never turn one down as a gift, I just don't think its worth the purchase, as they are also something that I'd be scared of having stolen should someone see me on a bus/train with it...

My Nexus S is easy to conceal, though, I agree that reading an ebook on it is harder due to the small screen size, but thats all I'd really use an iPad for, and as has previously been stated, a Kindle would work better (apart from it doesn't support ePub files) due to the battery life and the fact that if it got nicked its only a 3rd of the price of an iPad.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34   #202
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I use my current iPad on the bus/train all the time and never had anyone look twice at me or try to steal it.

I would definately consider selling it and getting the new iPad 2 as its enough of an upgrade for me over the existing one. I use it daily for music/video and web browsing, I also use it to type up my blog and play a lot of games on it.

For me it was well worth the purchase.

My laptop at home hardly gets used now as the iPad is just a lot easier to handle and use for long periods of time.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36   #203
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
I agree, and the forking out doesn't stop there does it, what with this adaptor and that adaptor. Don't all other tablet's have standard USB and some even have HDMI.

I think Apple need to get with the times.
no they do not they will have fanboys in the millions happy to spend the money and they will also be happy to spend for the adapters to. Apple know how to make money thats for sure.

IMO if someone wants an ipad they will pay out no matter what those who want a tablet will look a lot further and with all the Honeycomb pads looking like they are gonna be stupid money too they will walk away and think nah

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Yup. From the plays I've had with iPad1, and from comments by people I know who own one, a tablet is a joy to use for media consumption, browsing, etc.

I could take it travelling, take it to work, and use it around the home for general browsing & media consumption (easier than being fixed to my desk with my ageing & noisy desktop turned on constantly when all I want to do most of the time is browse & consume).

Doesn't have the power & versatility of a proper desktop or laptop, but it's more convenient, & if you're primarily interested in consuming rather than creating then it's great. Although there are more productivity apps coming out, & you can use a Bluetooth keyboard if you really need one.

Smartphones are great for out & about use, but the screens are too small for prolonged browsing & media consumption etc.
for the same money you could buy a new desktop and aint you heard of sleep mode lol lol

I hardly use my Archos now it had novelty value for me but thats it. It will get used on trains but I aint on trains that often
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39   #204
haydnwalker
Inactive

haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Apple are definitely a company that want to take your disposable income, regardless of the product.

I'm sure they'd get more fanboys if the prices were a bit more reasonable
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53   #205
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Apple are definitely a company that want to take your disposable income, regardless of the product.

I'm sure they'd get more fanboys if the prices were a bit more reasonable
if you think though if they reduced the product cost by a third by the time you take into consideration extra production costs and the like they would need twice as many sales
Old 03-03-2011, 11:01   #206
haydnwalker
Inactive

Fair point...
Old 03-03-2011, 11:09   #207
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Apple's image is reinforced by the price. They are very good at what they do - high-end consumer electronics that are very well designed, (usually) well made, and priced in a way that says 'premium product'. Enough people are prepared to lash out what it costs to buy something with the Apple label on it, they really don't need to drop the price.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17   #208
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Generlly I have been impressed with apples design - until I got the official case / cover for my iPad.

When it's on you can't put it in the official apple dock.

Well, I mean I can now, but only as I got someone with much steadier hands to modify it with a razor blade.

I find my iPad much easier to use (from an accesibility stand point) than any other pc in the house.

Unfortunately I don't see android doing anything near as good in that area yet. Windows is catching up with mac os on the built in accesibility though which is a good thing.

But (as much as I hate to admit it ) - my old mac that I got given which is what 5 plus years old is still better at zooming and screen reading out of the box as it were. Same with my iPad.

Now as odd as it sounds I can use my ipad with the screen completely off and I get on brilliantly with it and obviously as the screen is off the battery lasts a silly long length of time.

I know I got it for christmas and would not be able to afford one but I think the only reason I do like it so much is as it does fit a specific need for myself.

Anyway that's just my 2p and all that
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27   #209
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I might be tempted to get one (actually the wife wants one as an e-book reader). The one thing that'll stop me from getting an iPad (as opposed to a competitor) is the lack of expandability. If I am going to spend this kind of money on a device, I expect a slot for an SD card so I can stick more memory in when I want to. Not be forced to decide on what size memory I want and pay Apple crazy prices for it at the time of purchase. It also seems madness to me that there's no USB ports.

But hey, that's Apple for you...
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37   #210
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

If she just wants an eBook reader, she might be better considering something like a Kindle. Honestly, War and Peace in hardback would be lighter to hold than an iPad.