Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 26-11-2008, 19:20   #91
funcard_4
Inactive

funcard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Look who owns Sky... Infact, you could get all the channels for free with Sky. A couple of years ago, a mate of mine had something that gave him the full list of channels for free. So it's not that secure, is it?
I bet that was a dodgy VM box , and something tells me that you probably have one too.
funcard_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2008, 19:23   #92
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Nope, it was a Sky box. And, no. I don't have a dodgy box.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 19:26   #93
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Oh for goodness sakes will people please avail themselves of the ignore function..
Old 27-11-2008, 14:57   #94
supremus
cf.geek

supremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
not at all, do your home work...card sharing
I said "virtually". Do your home work. Card sharing systems are not generally available at your local car boot sale or from the dodgy bloke at the pub, and it requires a great deal of technical knowledge. Final conclusion: Sky is virtually piracy safe.

Back on topic: I heard the cable pirates took a bit of a hit today. Have VM finally sorted their piracy problems, or will this just be another 2-3 day break, before new software patches are implemented like last time? Any of our resident pirates got any comments?
supremus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 15:06   #95
Fatec
Inactive

Fatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremus View Post
I said "virtually". Do your home work. Card sharing systems are not generally available at your local car boot sale or from the dodgy bloke at the pub, and it requires a great deal of technical knowledge. Final conclusion: Sky is virtually piracy safe.

Back on topic: I heard the cable pirates took a bit of a hit today. Have VM finally sorted their piracy problems, or will this just be another 2-3 day break, before new software patches are implemented like last time? Any of our resident pirates got any comments?
You heard wrong, just another key change, boxes were up again within 1-2 hours.
Fatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 21:45   #96
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatec View Post
You heard wrong, just another key change, boxes were up again within 1-2 hours.
It wasn't just another key change, it was similar to what happened earlier in the year when the dodgy boxes wouldn't autoupdate. It's a minor inconvenience, as the keys have to be entered manually every time they change.

No doubt a patch will bought out within a day to fix it, just like last time.

In the meantime, could you imagine the panic if they started rolling the keys, say, every hour.
Old 27-11-2008, 22:27   #97
supremus
cf.geek

supremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation erasupremus has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFS03 View Post
In the meantime, could you imagine the panic if they started rolling the keys, say, every hour.
Or better yet, implemented a system that wasn't completely and utterly compromised almost a decade ago. Sky doesn't have any of these problems, why can't VM move any aspect of their service into this decade?
Old 27-11-2008, 22:49   #98
Peil
Inactive

Services: V+, Sports, 30mb Internet
Peil has a spectacular aura about themPeil has a spectacular aura about themPeil has a spectacular aura about themPeil has a spectacular aura about them

Yeah the downtime was minimal on this one - according to the guy sitting opposite me at work this evening.
Same old situation, the boxes go down, he's talking half of the town through how to update them and they are all running by the evening news as he's on his way in here.

If they really want to sort it, they really need to start pushing out a new system
Peil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 23:01   #99
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

How often do these keys get changed? And long does it take for these boxes to start working again?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 23:57   #100
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
How often do these keys get changed? And long does it take for these boxes to start working again?
I'm not sure how often the keys change (once a week, once a fortnight?), but when they do, it is normally taken care of by the autoupdate software in the box. However, a few months ago (around April I think) VM managed to somehow bugger up the autoupdate software in the dodgy boxes so that they received incorrect keys, while legit boxes worked normally.

This meant that until someone produced a patch file, the dodgy boxes had to be updated manually every time the keys changed. I think it only took a couple of days until a fix was available.

It looks like VM have used the same method again today.

Old 28-11-2008, 00:14   #101
supremus
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFS03 View Post
I'm not sure how often the keys change (once a week, once a fortnight?), but when they do, it is normally taken care of by the autoupdate software in the box. However, a few months ago (around April I think) VM managed to somehow bugger up the autoupdate software in the dodgy boxes so that they received incorrect keys, while legit boxes worked normally.
Yes, there was a long thread about it around here earlier in the year, where the usual MP3 thieves, movie downloaders, speed limit breakers, etc, etc, got all carried away with self-righteous indignation about the fact that anyone would break the law and "steal" from the cable companies like that.

It doesn't sound like VM have any real long-term options to keep piracy under control with their current system. If the boxes can be updated manually, it's surely just a matter of days or hours before they're back to doing it automatically again.
Old 28-11-2008, 08:18   #102
funcard_4
Inactive

funcard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enough

Just to let you know that most of the boxes are up and running again, there was a in flux of ppl running around like headless chickens trying to find out a fix. minor little code change nothing that the coders can't handle.
funcard_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 08:51   #103
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcard_4 View Post
Just to let you know that most of the boxes are up and running again, there was a in flux of ppl running around like headless chickens trying to find out a fix. minor little code change nothing that the coders can't handle.
I dont know if you are aware your IP can be traced to your location, just be aware of what you post on a public forum
broadbandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 09:42   #104
Ernie_C

Services: Virgin Media Broadband M, TV XL, V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
I dont know if you are aware your IP can be traced to your location, just be aware of what you post on a public forum
...and, hopefully, the reason why this person has been allowed to continue with his gloating on this forum is because the authorities are currently tracing his IP and address.
Old 28-11-2008, 11:53   #105
joker
Inactive

joker has a spectacular aura about themjoker has a spectacular aura about themjoker has a spectacular aura about themjoker has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
i'm betting that he has that all thought out to
joker is offline   Reply With Quote