Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Evil weevils

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Evil weevils

Old 13-08-2004, 10:06   #16
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Evil weevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
I'm calling them weevils but TBH I don't know exactly what they are.
Do they wobble, but not fall down?

Oh sorry, I'm thinking of something else
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2004, 10:15   #17
gary_580

Quote:
The ones that infested the airtight container did take a lot longer to get in there than the ones in the regular bags. In fact, the airtight container is sitting next to our sink waiting for me to get round to washing it out properly, so I effectively have a weevil farm. I'm calling them weevils but TBH I don't know exactly what they are. Perhaps I should bring the container to the meet and we can sit around and decide?

As its airtight doesnt that prove they were already in the flour? I suspect they are not weevils. How big are they?
Old 13-08-2004, 10:20   #18
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
As its airtight doesnt that prove they were already in the flour? I suspect they are not weevils. How big are they?
Not if the flour was in the cupboard in its bag for a day before being transferred, or if the container isn't completely airtight ... they are not much more than 1mm long, they wouldn't need a big hole to get through.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 10:28   #19
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Could be these

As the grubs are hard to see (velly velly small) & white.

Maybe its best to empty the entire cuboards, clean them thoruoughly (use hoover too), throw away anthing that looks manky & restock using more airtight containers.

I wish I could get my lot to use airtight containers, but they are too lazy & complain that they take up too much space.
(why can't they make them cerial box shaped instead of oval??)

With your flour, get rid & only get some when you are actually going to use it, then get just what you need or dispose of the leftover packet.
Better still, if you have some left bake a loaf of bread with it etc.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 10:32   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
Could be these

Maybe its best to empty the entire cuboards, clean them thoruoughly (use hoover too), throw away anthing that looks manky & restock using more airtight containers.

I wish I could get my lot to use airtight containers, but they are too lazy & complain that they take up too much space.

With your flour, get rid & only get some when you are actually going to use it, then get just what you need or dispose of the leftover packet.
The behaviour sounds right, but the description is not - they are a lot smaller than the ones in your link, and apparently black although it's harder to tell when they're so small.

As for the hygeine advice - yes, I think I'll do that!
Old 13-08-2004, 10:58   #21
gary_580

Quote:
Could be these

i was thinking flour beetle as well. These can be tiny when young
Old 13-08-2004, 11:08   #22
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Ewwww you guys are making me feel really really ill - especially as I just ate a bacon sarnie.

I think I'm gonna go buy some bleach and wash out all our cupboards at home tonight.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 11:19   #23
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDW1975
Ewwww you guys are making me feel really really ill - especially as I just ate a bacon sarnie.

I think I'm gonna go buy some bleach and wash out all our cupboards at home tonight.

your sure it was bacon and not something more crunchy in the flour
Old 13-08-2004, 11:25   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
i was thinking flour beetle as well. These can be tiny when young
How long do they take to grow up? I could always keep that container of granary flour for a few months and watch them grow.
Old 13-08-2004, 15:00   #25
gary_580

then you could start selling Bug Macs

http://www.szgdocent.org/ff/f-arth3c.htm
Old 13-08-2004, 15:03   #26
gary_580

Quote:
How long do they take to grow up? I could always keep that container of granary flour for a few months and watch them grow.

The life cycle requires 7 to 12 weeks, with adults living for 3 years or more. Ideally this type of beetle prefers temperatures of ca. 30°C and will not develop or breed at temperatures lower than 18°C.
Old 13-08-2004, 15:30   #27
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

I think that this thread serves as a warning to you all, if you go round Chris's then dont eat any of his homemade bread or cakes
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 15:32   #28
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I think that this thread serves as a warning to you all, if you go round Chris's then dont eat any of his homemade bread or cakes

ah but surely the cooking process would kill them , and if it had poppy seeds on the top you would never notice them extra crunchy bits
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 15:46   #29
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Confession time - the other week I carried on loading up the breadmaker after spotting one of the little blighters in the flour, reasoning that if I'd not seen it, I'd have gone ahead and never known the difference.

I only told Mrs T about it yesterday, before I started this thread. She took it surprisingly well.
Old 13-08-2004, 16:20   #30
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Confession time - the other week I carried on loading up the breadmaker after spotting one of the little blighters in the flour, reasoning that if I'd not seen it, I'd have gone ahead and never known the difference.

I only told Mrs T about it yesterday, before I started this thread. She took it surprisingly well.

I wonder what she has got planned as a revenge?

I'd be very,very cautious if I were you.