Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 09-12-2011, 09:06   #106
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Only those that get the e-mail get an increase
Interesting. That ought to make me very miffed, having just taken on £10 a month extra to move from 50Mb to 100Mb.

Funnily enough, the day after I registered for 100Mb the TV on my second VM box had a message announcing that I had been upgraded for free to full HD including Sky films and sports. Is this VM balancing the scales, and are we all due for a freebie?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16   #107
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

I'm very confused.

Is the plan for EVERYONE to eventually get the upgrade (March 2012 was mentioned)? or is that when people that get these stupid "tickles" are upgraded?

We've been on Cable since United Artists ran the local service, yet we haven't received a tickle of any kind.

Scratch that!

Just got the Drinking Chocolate and an offer about the home phone (both useless to me) in the post.

EVEN better! The offer has already expired. Wonderful loyalty bonus there.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:36   #108
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

More like an annoying Itch than a Tickle
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:44   #109
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Agreed
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:55   #110
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Your private life is entirely your own....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 13:45   #111
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Because, frankly, the competition at the moment is dire! Most areas in the UK struggle to get close to the advertised ADSL speeds. Cable on the other hand is far more reliable (or so the stats would show) when it comes to delivering close to the advertised speeds. Sure, there will always be those who have a rough experience BUT percentage wise I think VM provides a better product as a whole compared to the bigger ADSL based companies.
A dire competition doesnt mean its logical to dish out free upgrades, its actually the opposite.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Your current bill isn't covering the pain 100Mb customers are causing on the network right now.

Probably won't be downstream management but upstream most definitely.
Ignition havent you claimed the upcoming traffic management will magic away the current VM congestion issues?

How will it resolve downstream congestion issues when its upstream only?

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Yes, areas will go up to 8 channels as needed, new line cards.
ignition you do sound like a PR guy lately.

You have dodged every question posted regarding congestion and continue to post this as if you advocate oversubbing capacity for marketing reasons.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

Quote:
I call it the speed halving.

When this gets rolled out my speed will be halved from double congestion.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 14:35   #112
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

theres more to this than meets the eye. none of the staff will give us all the glory details all I'll say is VM are making movements, give them time to get it right. As a PAYING customer, like millions of others, I'm for one am happy improvements are being made in more ways than one!
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 14:47   #113
ntlrocks
Inactive

ntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enough

What's this website postcode checker thing that people are using to see when the upgrade is?
ntlrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:22   #114
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlrocks View Post
What's this website postcode checker thing that people are using to see when the upgrade is?

http://shop.virginmedia.com/home.html It's here top right-hand corner.
Old 09-12-2011, 15:25   #115
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlrocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
http://shop.virginmedia.com/home.html It's here top right-hand corner.
Actually anyone who has got an e-mail for the tickle has a link to a checker specifically for the upgrade
Old 09-12-2011, 15:39   #116
ntlrocks
Inactive

ntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enough

Yes the link in the email is the one I'm after.

Or is it private and you're told not to share?
ntlrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:45   #117
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

As it's just an information link, and will tell people when they aren't eligible for the tickle (as they've not been sent the e-mail) can't see it being an issue
Old 09-12-2011, 18:03   #118
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

FFS! No wonder I didn't get it. Me being thick doesn't help.

Here is the link I just got telling me about my TV upgrade, the one I already figured I had got.

http://tickle.virginmedia.com/offer/...part=Tickles_7

Tickle Home is here.

http://tickle.virginmedia.com/
Old 09-12-2011, 18:37   #119
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Um, they are asking for people's account number over HTTP? Not even a basic security thing like https? Interesting.

Its a very minor issue, but it still should be a https connection imho.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 20:08   #120
Phil-ntl
Body of a God (Buddha)!

Services: VVIP 500mb aka Ultimate Oomph (who the hell thought that name up??) 4X V6 Samsung UE55KU6470 4K TV
Phil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation era

Just out of curiosity what's the situation going to be for vip customers. i.e. someone on vip100. Will they be eligible for the £10 reduction?

Just curious as, if I remember correctly, when things like this have happened in the past, vip customers seem not to be included.

Same up to now with the tickles. Every tickle I've read about being offered seems to be in the vip package already anyway.

Phil
Phil-ntl is offline   Reply With Quote