Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 11-01-2012, 10:23   #301
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopfish View Post
There is more to internet connectivity than raw speed. They are going to make an utter mess of their network with this. I pity anyone who hangs around long enough to endure it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Wow You have been a member since 2009 and this is your first post
Remember loopfish - Better never than late
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26   #302
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
...you will need a new modem, but the upgrade isn't available yet and will be rolled out gradually area-by-area. VM will announce when it comes to your area so keep checking their site (or here) for details.

The new higher speeds will be free, but I'd imagine VM will relieve you off a "activation" fee for the new modem, around £30.
Obviously when it comes it comes but reading your post you say we will need a new modem as our speed will go from 30mb to 60mb.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30   #303
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Some of these increases are substantial. Given that with the cable technology that doesn't see speeds reduce based on distance from exchange, it's likely that the majority of users will get quite close to these new levels. On that basis we could be at a point where the customer's own hardware starts to become the limiting factor for connectivity and data transfer, rather than their internet connection. For example those with "g" standard wireless in their laptops will max out below the 60Mb speed. Many computers, and indeed network switches and routers only offer 10/100 wired speeds which would equal that 100Mb speed. I think the message is that we need to future proof any new IT purchases we may be making for home, or business, to be able to take advantage of expected future improvements in our networks.

To me the real attrraction of these connection speeds is we are closer to making real use of cloud services avoiding a twiddling of thumbs whilst we wait for our data to arrive whilst we also make use of "pay as you go" type online software giving a home user access to good current apps rather than reliant on outdated software that they can't afford to upgrade.
We're already at the limitations of a lot of consumer equipment. Despite Wireless "G" equipment being rated for 54Mbps, it's highly unlikely that anyone using it will get anywhere near it. Even if you're right next to your router, you're extremely lucky to hit 45Mbps. Move to another room and that'll drop below 30Meg. It's a problem with the technology, but also that most people's equipment is just poor. Wireless-N is even worse in terms of advertised speeds vs real speeds. I've seen so many Wireless-N users sitting at around 72Mbit that it's not even funny. Same reasons - the equipment in use is often a cheap model that does the bare minimum to hit that Wireless-N standard. Go ahead and look at most laptops on sale now - they're all wireless-N, but they'll only use 1x1 antennae, instead of the (much better) 3x3 arrangement, or even 1x3 that you need to hit the 300Mbit that Wireless-N is rated.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30   #304
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Obviously when it comes it comes but reading your post you say we will need a new modem as our speed will go from 30mb to 60mb.
Customers on XL 30 are probably one of the two sets of customers that won't need new kit (from Virgin at least)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33   #305
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

so if i stay on XL 20mb for the next 2yrs they will give me a new modem for free and increase my speed to 60mb?

I don't really need the 60mb so if they give us a new modem i'll drop the speed down to the L tier which will be 20mb instead of the current 10mb, will save me a few pounds per month

Will the upload speeds be doubled too? 20/2, 60/6, 100/10, 120/12?
virginruinedntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:34   #306
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Customers on XL 30 are probably one of the two sets of customers that won't need new kit (from Virgin at least)
Thanks Ben and great that we probably will not have to fork out another £30 into the bargain..
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38   #307
loopfish
Inactive

loopfish can only hope to improve

how did I not post anything for 3 years! Guess that shows how bad VM have got for me to drive me to speak out now!

I like signing up to forums - gives me a warm sense of belonging :-D
loopfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42   #308
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
how did I not post anything for 3 years! Guess that shows how bad VM have got for me to drive me to speak out now!

Its a case of good for some and bad for others

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43   #309
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

To be fair to Virgin, they started doing the "mess up the network" part during the summer of last year and the work is still ongoing. There were a lot of cab upgrades made and I'm betting this is the reason why - so hopefully, it won't be that bad.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43   #310
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

bbc posted on WWW Starting to increase speed all customers In feb 2012 well after last night when speed dropped to 0.98 MEG (Speed test) any increase would be great
where are the Pigs that are flying about landing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16491614
Tony
gu14 area
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50   #311
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Anyone have a link to the roll out timetable?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51   #312
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Is there any news on us Superhub 'refuseniks'? Obviously I won't get 60Mbit on my current SA 2100 modem but I remember reading here that I may get an increase.

In all honesty I'd rather have a greater bandwidth allowance before STM at peak time than a downspeed increase.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53   #313
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Well considering the current 30Mbit requires either a SuperHub or VMDG300 (which isn't available anymore), I would expect that any upgrades above 20Mbit will require a SuperHub
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55   #314
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

this bit made me laugh and cry.

Quote:
The company said bandwidth usage limits will also be doubled to accommodate the increased speed
laugh that a unlimited service has a bandwidth allowance O_o I presume they mean STM limits been doubled which brings me to the crying part.

Peak congestion about to get worse
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09   #315
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media to double Broadband speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Excellent news

As has been said above Q the following

Constant speed tests results to prove your complaint of the day.

The "I am going to cancel and move to Sky" threats if it is not completed YESTERDAY.

The why has that area been done before mine.

The why don't they Fix "insert your latest complaint of the day" first.

I want a reduction to my cost now because i don't have the new speed and they do.

I am already on 100 meg so a speed increase of 20 meg is something i will not be losing sleep over as far as time scales are concerned. The reduction is cost for 100 meg users is more of a benefit to me

There are already a couple in this thread
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote