Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 12-12-2011, 10:10   #166
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age
Re: Speed doubling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Per another post of mine the config file for 100Mb is going up to 110Mb downstream, 109 is only a shade high.

Neither you nor I know what config files are floating around on the network, as you I'm sure know the config files are not the be-all and it's perfectly feasible that someone in a trials team shifted this guy to a 110Mb profile downstream as a test while his modem / Superhub is still policing per its config file at 5Mb/s upstream.

Could also be a rate limit fail, have seen a few of them on here recently.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19   #167
octatonic
Inactive

octatonic will become famous soon enoughoctatonic will become famous soon enoughoctatonic will become famous soon enough

Something has definitely changed- for the last year I've never had a reading over 50meg and for the last 3-4 months I've been regularly getting less than 1.
The due date for the fix was last week and they seem to have met it as I cannot get a reading under 50meg now, with frequent readings above 80 or even 100meg.

Believe me I am not complaining- just wondering really.
octatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42   #168
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
Care to elaborate?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35   #169
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
You know more than me
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:52   #170
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

my area confirmed for FTTC now, so I just have to hope infinity arrives before VM completely wreck the area with these upgrades.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:22   #171
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Per another post of mine the config file for 100Mb is going up to 110Mb downstream, 109 is only a shade high.

Neither you nor I know what config files are floating around on the network, as you I'm sure know the config files are not the be-all and it's perfectly feasible that someone in a trials team shifted this guy to a 110Mb profile downstream as a test while his modem / Superhub is still policing per its config file at 5Mb/s upstream.

Could also be a rate limit fail, have seen a few of them on here recently.
If he is getting that speed then it is more likely to be a glitch and he should trying emptying his browser cache and then retest plus logging into the device will give us the config.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:34   #172
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

well i have got 96mb off the speed test sites in the last few days and from download 8 files together giving me about 12mb/s my config file is still saying 50mb and my browser cache is clear so i cant say what is happenign but glitches and trials happen and my area is about to be upgrade very soon accoridng the to the schedule so coudl be to do witht hat

cant speak about anyone else jsut saying that it does appear ot be happening but i aint constally getting that speed it ever now and then and when downloading files i notice it most goign from 6mb/s constant then increase rapidly
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 14:43   #173
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
If he is getting that speed then it is more likely to be a glitch and he should trying emptying his browser cache and then retest plus logging into the device will give us the config.
I already said that the config file isn't the be-all and end-all, it's the service flow parameters at the CMTS that control downstream rate limiting compulsorily and upstream optionally, which is why STM doesn't require a new config file.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
You know more than me
But not Masque evidently
Old 12-12-2011, 14:44   #174
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
I already said that the config file isn't the be-all and end-all, it's the service flow parameters at the CMTS that control downstream rate limiting compulsorily and upstream optionally, which is why STM doesn't require a new config file.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

But not Masque evidently
It is more likely to be a glitch rather than a free upgrade anyway and if so they should enjoy it while it lasts.

You may not be in the least surprised at what I know or may not know at this time.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 15:15   #175
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

Just to clear this up for me as im a tad lost this afternoon

20 (L, non-DOCSIS 3 modems)
30 (L DOCSIS 3, all non-DOCSIS 3 XL)
60 (DOCSIS 3 XL)
100 (XXL)

So it's

50mb to 100mb
30mb to 60mb
And all non docsis 3 modems to 20mb?
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 18:36   #176
savenosouls
Inactive

savenosouls is on a distinguished roadsavenosouls is on a distinguished road

Just received a rather "big" envelope in the mail today confirming some of the rumours re speed doubling. I have 10Mb broadband and have been informed it will be doubling to 20!
One observation - I checked the advised weblink to see when the upgrade for my postcode would take place - Answer - Between June & Dec 2012!! (So could be almost 12 months)

One question - I have a very old (original Motorola modem circa 2005, non wireless) can anyone tell me if this modem will need replaced to accept 20Mb?
savenosouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 20:33   #177
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Yeah the upgrades are happening throughout 2012 I'm afraid. My own area is, for a change, a little before the end of the schedule although maybe they're making up for that we don't even have the 5Mb upload on 50Mb let alone 100Mb available here yet.

I would recommend a new modem.
Old 12-12-2011, 22:36   #178
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

Could you post the link so others could check there dates?
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 08:25   #179
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

The link in the emails and letters is www.virginmedia.com/fasttickle but as I haven't had either it won't give a date.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 10:28   #180
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

yeah not sure why people wouldnt share the link, the page wont let non picked people upgrade.

my postcode simply refreshes the page so hasnt even been programmed to give a result for it.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote